Obama, Bill Clinton to discuss Obamacare
September 19th, 2013
12 months ago

Obama, Bill Clinton to discuss Obamacare

(CNN) – President Barack Obama will join former President Bill Clinton for a public conversation on health care next week, the White House announced Thursday.

White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters during the Obama administration's daily briefing that the president and former president "will engage in a conversation about the benefits and future of healthcare reform in America and access to quality healthcare around the globe," Carney said. The conversation will take place during next Tuesday's meeting of the Clinton Global Initiative in New York.

Obama will be in New York participating in the United Nations summit.

Clinton appears to have become Obama's unofficial "secretary of explaining stuff," including the benefits of the controversial health care law. Clinton made the case for the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, at a speech at his presidential library in Arkansas earlier this month.

'Secretary of Explaining Stuff' sells Obamacare

The public conversation comes as congressional Republicans make a new push to defund Obamacare before the law's state healthcare exchanges go online next month. The GOP is attempting to push a continuing resolution that would fund the rest of the government while defunding Obamacare, which Democrats categorically oppose. The Republican move could result in a shutdown of the federal government if a deal is not reached this week or next.

–CNN's Kevin Liptak and Bryan Koenig contributed to this report

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Health care • President Obama
  1. jinx9to88

"There is nothing Clinton can do or say that is going to change the facts that this law stinks and the American people don't want it to go into effect – except the freeloaders of course." –

This is why people need to get out of the fox bubble. Obamacare makes these so called "freeloaders" pay something instead of showing up to emergency rooms, which cost twice as much, with no insurance. Sometimes I wonder how people know how to even turn on their computer.

September 19, 2013 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  2. kayla

it's the law of the land, stupid

September 19, 2013 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. Silence DoGood

@Malory Archer "I must not have been paying attention, so please enlighten me: How many wars has President Obama "blundered" us into?"

They might not have been defined as wars but Obama bombed the snot out a lot of people in Libya and Pakistan. And Pakistan had possibly 1000 innocent killed for a handful of probable terrorists. And remember the official word was "no innocents killed. At least peace loving people won the day at stopping him through the polls this time.

September 19, 2013 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  4. Lynda/Minnesota

"The Republican move could result in a shutdown of the federal government if a deal is not reached this week or next."

Feel free to correct me if I don't have my facts straight:

1. The GOP wants to defund "Obamacare".
    2. The GOP threatens to shut down the United States government if they are not allowed to defund "Obamacare".
    3. The GOP will then suggest it was Obama's fault, one presumes because he wants to insure that "Obamacare" is
    fully implemented.
    4. The GOP does not have an alternative health care plan.
    5. Should the GOP come up with an alternative plan between now and next month, would we not then spend the next
    two years once again debating the issue much in the same manner "Obamacare" was debated?

Shut 'er down, John Boehner. Let the chips fall where they will fall.

September 19, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  5. Michigan patriot

Benefits???? Get me a break, its all a scam. He must be very scared about this whole thing, that he wants his friend to give him a hand to convince the american people that its a good thing. The premiums are already going up, and this suppose to be an affordable health care? Right! Who are they kidding?

September 19, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. tom

All I know is on June 1st, Blue Cross Blue Shield raised my monthly health insurance premium over 42%, I now pay almost $900 a month out of pocket... was this what Obama had in mind?? Or is he really Obozo? In no way can I aford this, its almost as much as my mortgage!

September 19, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. Gurgyl

--Eh, just wait till the real music of the Law kicks in on January 3rd 2014, Heathcare State Exchanges will be busy insuring all, then BCBS, Humana, Etna etc sees real music with their BRIBE TO THESE PATHETIC CONGRESS GOP THUGS. NOTHING WRONG, IT IS THE LAW, NOW.

September 19, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. just asking

maybe some of the lefties in here can tell us why the unions don't want obamacare now?

maybe some of the lefties in here can tell us why congress got exemption from obamacare?

maybe some of the lefties in here can tell us why others are getting exemptions?

and why isn't obamacare being implemented as written? many changes but no laws to back up those changes.

is this healthcare by the seat of the pants? just wingin' it? you do realize that peoples lives are at stake.

September 19, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. jinx9to88

@ tom –

Funny, you said your premium went up 42%, mine went down 42%. Wow.

September 19, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  10. Marie MD

@billpike, I guess not if you compare what Clinton did with your boy vitter who does do hos. Talk about medical scare!
    Where's Craig, still trolling airport bathrooms after men?
    Give it up tea tards for each punch against the Dems we have hundreds against your repugs.

September 19, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  11. Data Driven

@tom,

"All I know is on June 1st, Blue Cross Blue Shield raised my monthly health insurance premium over 42%, I now pay almost $900 a month out of pocket... was this what Obama had in mind??"

Why are you blaming Obama? He doesn't own Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Blame Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

Better yet, lobby your Congresscritter to support mandated public health insurance (i.e., "single payer") for every American. The bigger the pool, the less we pay.

September 19, 2013 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  12. jinx9to88

These Repubs are so scared this bill will work and ALL the lies they and fox have been telling people will comeback and kick them in their rear.

September 19, 2013 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. Malory Archer

tom

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do you live in a red state, and was your policy written AFTER ACA became a law? Here in Florida our illustrious governor and his craven band of sycophants passed legislation a few months ago that allows insurance companies to increase premiums – by as much as they want anytime they want – on any policy written after its March 23, 2010 implementation. And they ADMIT they did so for no other reason than to make Floridians HATE "Obamacare" DESPITE THE FACT THAT FLORIDA ISN'T PARTICIPATING!!!

September 19, 2013 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

tom

---------------------
    You need to report that. Unless you changed plans, the ACA is supposed to prevent companies from gouging customers with explosive rate increases. In fact, the ACA defines caps on annual increases. Prior to the ACA, you had no recourse except pay it.

September 19, 2013 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. Shefter Laurent

Why do conservatives hate the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. If I was Obama, I would send them to jail. Yeah, righttttttttttttt?

September 19, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. truth hurts but reality bites

tom
    ---–

Obamacare is working as designed. You really didn't think the law could force them to insure kids until they were 27, force them to insure pre-existing conditions and force them to provide free preventive care all at no cost to people?

Obamacare is designed to IMPLODE the private healthcare system and DRIVE people into government healthcare. It is the Holy Grail of the left. Total government, usa taxpayer, paid healthcare.

The American people were fed so many lies when this atrocity was passed that people should go to jail for their dishonesty.

September 19, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. just saying

Data Driven
    @tom,
    -–
    -–

like i have been saying all along! democrats and obama will blame others. obamacare dictates everything to the health insurance companies, and then blames them for raising prices to cover the costs of all the government demands and requirments.

September 19, 2013 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. Tampa Tim

Red states will have their premiums go up because republicans do not want their citizens to have the benefits of the ACA. Pretty un American to hurt citizens, but the GOP is good at it.

September 19, 2013 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  19. Malory Archer

Silence DoGood

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, if only we'd been successful at doing the same when the previous occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue lied us into two wars. Unfortunately, your ilk called us every name in the book, accused us of not supporting the troops, siding with the "terrists" and suggesting we should leave the country. That guy ann coulter even suggested "libruls" should be killed so we learn to be afraid. What has changed since then to turn the hawks into doves? What indeed..... And before you even try to spin this, NINETY PERCENT of Americans were against the latest proposed military actions so save the feigned moral superiority.

September 19, 2013 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  20. freedom

If this job-killing, American imploding law fully takes effect, every American will not only be paying more for their health care, they will be receiving less quality care, and have their privacy severely invaded – and put on a database for government employees to see. They have nothing to do with your health. And we know that all those who want this to be law – Obama, Clinton, Chief Justices who made it law – will not be subject to these invasions and costs like the rest of the Americans. Most of the country doesn't want it, and this president doesn't care – He's not doing this for healthcare – he wants control – and he wants this country to implode.

September 19, 2013 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  21. The Real Tom Paine

tom

************************************
    Why does your employer have such a horrible plan? I find it hard to believe that any responsible HR department would choose that as the best option available. The only other explanation is that you are lying, plain and simple.

September 19, 2013 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |