Jesse Jackson Jr.'s memorabilia
September 20th, 2013
12 months ago

A possible fake? Jesse Jackson Jr. memorabilia auction canceled

(CNN) – The U.S. Marshals Service has canceled the auction of Jesse Jackson Jr.'s fraud case memorabilia after revelations that at least one of the items may be a fake.

More than a dozen items had been up for auction, handed over by Jackson to be auctioned off, with the proceeds going towards the $750,000 judgment against him after he admitted to misusing campaign funds for private use. Jackson, a former Democratic Representative from Illinois, has been sentenced to 30 months in prison.

Among the fur coats and movie memorabilia was a guitar purportedly signed by Michael Jackson and Eddie Van Halen. Those signatures may be fake, the Marshals Service said in a release, saying that they had received "legitimate concerns about the authenticity of the guitar."

What do furs, the king of pop, and Bruce Lee have in common?

"Out of an abundance of caution, the Marshals Service will conduct a secondary review of all the assets," the statement said.

"Once the review is complete, a decision will be made whether to repost any assets for sale by auction."

–CNN's Bryan Koenig contributed to this report

Filed under: Jesse Jackson Jr.
  1. Rudy NYC

The guitar never made it to the auction iste. I've checked a couple times since this story broke last week. There were always 12 items posted, not the reported 13, which would include the guitar. As far as I can tell, no one ever put it up for sale.

September 20, 2013 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  2. Fair is Fair

Hang in there, Junior... in 30 months, you'll be out of the slam and the wise people of Illinois will elect you back to congress.

September 20, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  3. Sniffit

Who cares?

September 20, 2013 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  4. Wake up People!

We're on the verge of a government shutdown but this is news? No one cares about a disgraced ex-Congressman that only got elected because of his fathers name.

What in the world has happened to journalism???

September 20, 2013 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  5. tommariner

What a shame. A father with a storied history in Civil Rights, no matter what your feelings on its current relevance. Like many of today's politicians, the Bush's, the Clintons, the Gores, etc. he has a chance to influence his way into unlimited power by relationships. The guy was on his way to the Senate seat vacated by the President of the United States. All he had to do was curb his greed until the appointments were signed.

A shame for him and his dad, but a blessing for the people of Chicago - if you steal that much just from a campaign, think what the guy would do once he could actually charge for votes. Worse yet, it appears he was stupid and got taken by some hucksters who stole from the thief in some pseudo-valuable items. Dumb and dishonest is a bad combination.

September 20, 2013 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

BREAKING NEWS: Disgraced Politician Learns Cherished Momento Could Be A Fraud
    -----------------------------------------------------------

September 20, 2013 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. Wake up People!

Actually Donna, I could care less about this guy. I have never been a fan of his. I do respect his father for his Civil Rights work but that's it. I'm not a huge fan of his either. I simply don't see why this is political news. He is no longer a politician and never will be. Thank goodness. But go ahead keep pretending to be a psychic that can read strangers minds.

September 20, 2013 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  8. Donna

Wake up People!
    But go ahead keep pretending to be a psychic that can read strangers minds.

I don't have to read your mind. I have read enough of your posts in here to know who and what you are.,

September 20, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  9. Wake up People!

Well if that's true Donna, you would have read the few posts that I did write about this individual and his wife and I guarantee none were good.

But you do know that works both ways because I definitely know what you are.

September 20, 2013 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  10. kirk

Saying, do plants even grow in your house?

September 20, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  11. Malory Archer

Donna

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, and I've been reading YOUR posts and know EXACTLY who and what you are, and it ain't good, so you really should move out of that glass house before you start throwing stones.

September 20, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  12. kirk

Have you ever wondered why 99% of what you say can easy be disproved yet you continue to believe it, and embrace it as Gospel. Its the rare individual that are impervious to truth and reason. You live in a box of your own creation, please keep it closed, your philosophy has no place in reality.

September 20, 2013 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  13. anonymous

The only problem with this story is that it doesn't contain news that his father will be joining him in the adjacent cell. He's a shakedown artist deluxe. Extortion is his stock in trade.

September 20, 2013 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  14. Thomas

40.000 Rolex is fake ?

September 20, 2013 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  15. PismoJohn

Lets move on . We have a lot more problems than if there is going to be a memorabilia auction. Who cares anyway.?

September 20, 2013 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Who cares, but can I get my hands on the red leather jacket Palin wore in 2008 bought with campaign funds?

September 20, 2013 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. kirk

Thomas, the one he gave up probably is, the other one stashed? Who really expected anything less from an Illinois politician, public office and prison go hand in hand there

September 20, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  18. N

I would not fret over this riff. Just sell the guitar, no strings attached. It might strike a chord in someone. I'll tune in later to see what happened.

September 20, 2013 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  19. Des Perado

Whaddya mean “fake?” ole Junior said—I think that’s racist and I totally disagree
    Do y’all mean “fake” like “kinda fake”…or a world-class fake like my dad and me ???

September 20, 2013 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  20. a obamintion

throw this trash in the garbage and give him and his wife 10 more years!

September 20, 2013 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  21. karl from az

A 'Fake', just like Jackson & his old man!

September 20, 2013 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  22. David

look they keep voting for republicans so why not JJ Jr. republicans are not any better....

September 20, 2013 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  23. !!LeGeNd!!

Why does he have a cape? Is he trying to do the whole "Lando Calrissian" thing?

September 20, 2013 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  24. Ken

Junior sure isn't a chip off the old Jackson block. Associated with trying to buy a Senate seat, caught misusing funds, and now to top it off, he was paying big dollars for fake items for his ego collection. At least Senior was smart enough to keep things behind closed doors so every deal he made could never come back to hurt him. Junior, LOL, what a fool.

September 20, 2013 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  25. Kandi731

Stupid is as stupid does!

September 20, 2013 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |