September 20th, 2013
10 months ago

Peter King: Ted Cruz 'is a fraud'

Washington (CNN) - The government shutdown showdown is getting ugly.

Republican Rep. Peter King said Friday that his Republican colleague in the Senate, Ted Cruz, "is a fraud" who will "no longer have any influence in the Republican Party" after the House votes on a measure that could potentially lead to a government shutdown.

King made his comments while on his way to a Republican meeting, shortly before the House was set to begin debating, then voting on the bill. The legislation provides funds for the government to stay afloat past the end of the fiscal year on September 30, but only if money for Obamacare is cut out.

Ted Cruz: Obamacare fight 'just beginning'

The idea to tie the president's health care law to the government funding bill was aggressively pushed by Cruz and other Senate conservatives, including Sen. Marco Rubio and Sen. Mike Lee, this summer.

The House is expected to pass the bill, which will then go to the Democratic-controlled Senate where the Obamacare amendment will likely be killed. The bill would then be sent back to the House, which would have to decide whether to pass it and keep the government running, or defeat it and possibly see a government shutdown.

King, who's been strongly opposed to the bill, has essentially compared the strategy to a suicide mission.

Read: Rep. King on defund plan: ‘Custer, Kamikaze’

"I hope people will get the message this guy is bad for the party," King said Friday, talking about Cruz, a potential 2016 presidential candidate. King is also a potential White House contender, as he has said he's thinking about running for president.

Asked if the House vote was more of a message to conservatives than to Obama, King said the vote is a signal that the GOP has "to take more realistic and practical approaches."

The congressman has said before that he can start ignoring the senator from Texas after the vote. He reiterated Friday he hopes that's still the case.

"We can't be going off on these false missions that Ted Cruz wants us to go on. The issues are too important. They're too serious, they require real conservative solutions, not cheap headline-hunting schemes," he said.

Read: Cruz tries to make amends with angry conservatives

Cruz angered House conservatives earlier this week when he admitted in a statement that he doubts the Senate has enough votes to pass a government funding measure that also defunds Obamacare. He has nonetheless vowed to keep fighting in the Senate to generate support for the measure.

But with some Senate Republicans already saying they won't support Cruz in the effort, the chances of him succeeding so far appear unlikely.

– CNN's Ashley Killough and Ted Barrett contributed to this report.

Filed under: Budget • Congress • Health care • Peter King • Ted Cruz
  1. Mrfabulou47

In the 25+ years that I have been working in the engineering and construction industry, the "new kids" would sit quietly at the meeting tables, providing input when asked, and did what they were told to do by those folks who had much more experience and understanding of how things were done. If you were the "new kid" and you thought that you knew better and proceeded to either change the way things were done, or ignored the wishes of your superiors, you didn't last very long. You would be s*#t-canned in a heartbeat & rightly so. When I was cutting my teeth in the industry, nobody had to tell me or any of my "nube" co-workers what time of day it was. We knew our place and understood that until we actually understood how things worked, it was best to do as we were told.......to work hard as hell to prove ourselves, to keep our heads down & to respect our supervisors because they knew better than us. Call me crazy, but that's how I was raised.

That being said.........what in God's name is going on in the United States Congress?? Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio are Freshman punks & yet they are using the threat of Tea Party housecleaning to hold the entire country hostage. If it wasn't so unbelievably destructive & decisive, it would be comical. But it's not funny at all. These jokers are destroying America in record time & no one in the GOP is willing to say that these lil' emperors are not wearing clothes.

Maybe Peter King is the tip of the spear of for the semi-lucid Republican's in Congress that'll finally kill the beast. I have to believe that once a couple of these guys stand up to them, that the rest will join in and it'l fall like the house of cards that it is.

September 20, 2013 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  2. Hillcrester

The TP wants to take over the Republican Party. I am confident that eventually the traditional GOP will purge them.

September 20, 2013 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. Mike

I get the feeling that Cruz thinks that acting like a White, bigoted zealot, will give him a ticket to the "Whitebread" crowd and mask his Hispanic roots.

As a result, I'm hopeful both groups will see him for what he is: a low-rent opportunist, ashamed of his own origins.

September 20, 2013 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  4. liz48

I know one thing for certain. It is that I am better off not working under obamacare as my payments are either zero or very low if I have no income. At present my costs of healthcare are less than what I would pay to an insurer even if I was on the cheapest, least productive insurance scheme. I do not like Obamacare!!!

September 20, 2013 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  5. impact0900

Yes, half of Americans are opposed to Obama care, millions of dollars worth of insurance company and billionaire financed adds have seen to that. But what you Tea Party dim bulbs are really afraid of is that it will work and your Party
    of Neanderthals will be over.

September 20, 2013 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  6. Jakell

Peter King is absolutely correct. I am an independent who has voted for the Republican candidate in the last four Presidential elections (I held my nose and voted for Bill Clinton in 1992 and 1996). Ted Cruz is a megalomaniac who is interested only in his own personal welfare. Moreover, he allowed a bunch of House members to do his bidding and then stabbed them in the back. I don't agree with the "defund or shut down" tactic but if Cruz thinks that's good he ought to have the courage to stick to his guns.

September 20, 2013 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  7. impact0900

Yes , half of Americans are opposed to Obama care, millions of dollars worth of insurance company and billionaire financed adds have seen to that. But what you Tea Party Neo-Cons are really afraid of is that it will work and Your Party will be over.This is the nicer version of this post.

September 20, 2013 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  8. ash

Holding economy hostage over Obamacare is plain and simple terrorism. The two issues should be voted in separate measures. American taliban strikes again.

September 20, 2013 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. bruce morningstar

Cruz is an idiot who does not understand issues. I cannot believe he claims to have gone to Harvard. I lost my job when a Bains Capital type company bought 3 Day Blinds after we spent 7 years making the company very profitable. Oh, the stupid people who bought the company were the Texas Pacific Group. The company employed over 1100 people and had 180 stores in 19 states. They reduced the company to eight or nine stores and less than 100 employees. Congratualations Mitt Romney. So Cruz has no clue. When I lost my job, my wife and I had to pay $775 per month for health care under COBRA. In eighteen months it went to $1500 per month. That is $18,000 per year!!! She had some minor medication, but we got nothing for that money. Yet, my aunt who lived in Spain spent 500 euros per year ($600-$700 depending on the exchange rate) for 100% coverage. Why is the United States at the bottom of the health care list.Just ask Cruz or Boehner. I live in Mexico because I can get great health care at a reasonable cost. I wish we could deport people like Cruz and Rubio who should be sent back to Cuba where they belong.

September 20, 2013 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  10. luke,az

If the tea party was a real party they would have the guts to form their own party, but they decided to infect the Republican party instead. Moderate Republicans need to take back their party. Sen. King(R) today called Cruz a FRAUD. Where are the other moderate Republicans ?

September 20, 2013 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  11. Joe Rockbottom

Basic story: Peter King, an ultra right wing Senator is mad at Ted Cruz, an ultra- fanatical ultra-right wing Senator. Peter King has really bad ideas. Ted Cruz is a proven nutjob. Neither of them belong in the Senate because they don't care about America at all. They are only there to funnel money to their rich puppeteers.

September 20, 2013 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  12. Joe Rockbottom

"Where are the other moderate Republicans ?"

They don' t exist. They went out with Reagan. Every republican nowadays is an ultra right wing nutcase.

September 20, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  13. Mike

Ted Cruz is an idiot. Anyone who thinks otherwise is also an idiot.

September 20, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  14. Beverly

This is the same movie over and over again. The American people are tired of these so-called representatives of the people.These are the same people who vowed to not work with President Obama on anything, even if it were their idea, Mitch McConnell from Kentucky said "his number one job was to make him a one-term president. Term limits sound very good right now for the entire congress, two terms and you should be gone. They don't care about healthcare or social security for most Americans because they have their federally funded programs that are not touched by anything they do to health care reform or social security. Should they be making decisions on healthcare or social security, when they don't have dog in the fight? No – VOTE THEM OUT YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 20, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  15. SCBAMA

Peter King is a joke. Please...he is the only one I see on TV giving the Libs what they want. The media make it sound like it is all the Republicans.

September 20, 2013 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  16. JiminNM

Shut it down. We need to do everything possible to take money away from the government spending machine.

September 20, 2013 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. PushingBack

Wow, a lucid republican!

September 20, 2013 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  18. girish

Mr Cruz is childish, unrealistic,megalomaniac without thinking the effects on economy of USA nd world .How this kind of people are elected?

September 20, 2013 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  19. bobby frank

This is all frankly a waste of time and money. These guys are getting paid to do this over and over again. Cruz is an idiot and this will go down as the biggest mistake for Republicans. I think impact0900 is dead on that they are afraid Obamacare will really be successful.

September 20, 2013 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. cjb

Peter King is a fraud and next election the voters are going to tell him so. Ted Cruz, Mike Lee and Marco Rubio are the only ones standing up for what the American people want. If Peter King wants to pay my 46% markup for insurance, I'll be happy to send him the bill.

September 20, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. FM

How can anybody take the Republican party seriously? Kamikaze missions to destroy the American government not only play badly with most intelligent people, they weaken America's position and credibility in the world. I've never seen such a bunch of destructive idiots in American politics in my lifetime. Ted Cruz? Seriously? The clowns are running the circus. 42 failed votes to repeal the first serious attempt at improving American health care and lowering costs? All losing, all a waste of taxpayers' time & money. Talk about graceless, classless, clueless losers – here they are!

September 20, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. cjb

God Bless Ted Cruz. He the best fighter against the liberal morons who have no problem bankrupting us and this country. the liberals are like little children crying and whining for more and more without any regard to the consequences.

September 20, 2013 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  23. Rembrant

I love all this bickering in the Repub party. They should just keep it up... it makes for great entertainment and assures their demise.

September 20, 2013 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  24. Vincent

Two reasons why Republicans are so desperate to stop Healthcare Reform with zero alternatives.

1. They could care less about those without access to affordable healthcare because they have the best paid for by us.
    2. Because IT WILL WORK and they lose the White House again!

September 20, 2013 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  25. Strangways

he he he, they are devouring their young. Keep it up!

September 20, 2013 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |