September 22nd, 2013
1 year ago

Pelosi: Hillary Clinton more ready for WH than husband or Obama was

Washington (CNN) - House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi continued to offer effusive praise for Hillary Clinton, saying the former secretary of state would be one of the best-prepared incoming presidents if she decided to run in 2016.

"If she does, she will win and when she becomes president, she'll be one of the best-equipped, best-prepared people to enter the White House in a very long time," Pelosi said in an interview that aired Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union."

Noting Clinton's experience as secretary of state, as a U.S. senator from New York and as a first lady, Pelosi said Clinton would be "more prepared than President Obama; certainly more prepared than President Bush; certainly more prepared than President Clinton I might admit."

Asked by CNN's chief political correspondent Candy Crowley if Clinton would be more prepared than Vice President Joe Biden, Pelosi said Biden is also "very prepared."

"And I think President Bush Sr. was prepared. He was - had been a vice president," she said. "But I'm talking about recent memory of presidents that we have had."

Read: Pelosi urges Clinton to run in 2016

Like Clinton, Biden has not ruled out another presidential run. His trips to Iowa and South Carolina in the last week added fire to the speculation.

But would Pelosi prefer Clinton or Biden?

"You know what, when they just announce that they're running, I'll let you know," she said.

"I always have had a habit of saying when you're serious about running, I'll be serious about it," she added. "But I think it would be magnificent for America to have a woman president. I think it would be just wonderful."

A poll released by CNN/ORC International released last week indicated Clinton would have 65% support among Democrats, with Biden a distant second at 10%, in a potential Democratic primary.

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2016 • Hillary Clinton • Joe Biden • Nancy Pelosi • TV-State of the Union
  1. hm

Yeah, sure she is.......this comment from the same piece of dead weight who said we had to pass a bill so we could find out what is in it...........can you say unfit for office? And I think it's time Hilliary retired as well, I think this country has had enough of the Bush's and the Clintons.

September 22, 2013 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  2. Wayne B.

Go head Gonzo:-)

September 22, 2013 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  3. are122

So Tweedlee Dee weighs in on Tweedlee Dum. Just what we need, another airhead.

September 22, 2013 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  4. Jonus Grumby

There are still questions about Benghazi that need to be answered. I trust they will be forthcoming when she announces her candidacy. The spin doctors have plenty of time to manufacture those answers. We'll see.

September 22, 2013 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  5. Mike

For once in most of our lifetimes can we please have a President or high ranking person in the administration who's name isn't Bush or Clinton. That's change I can believe in.

September 22, 2013 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  6. Bill

Sorry Guys/Gals – the press has already elected her.

September 22, 2013 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  7. John

I think Dems would support anyone as long as it says D behind it....really they backHillary and Biden?? I'd pick my Schwans man before them

September 22, 2013 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  8. Caritas06

Having Pelosi endorse her is like having your spaniel endorse you. Just part of the machine.

Hillary: No accomplishments in offices, just holding offices. And I am not GOP.

September 22, 2013 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  9. Johnny DC

She's proven that she can deny and subsequently cover up scandals like a pro, so yes, I agree she is ready for the White House.

Amazing how low the bar has been set, no thanks to her criminal husband and the current anti-Constitutionalist currently occupying 1600 Penn.

September 22, 2013 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  10. kmwatersaz

I cannot endorse an ex-Secretary of State who insulates themselves from an investigation like Benghazi. There is something sinister about this person.

September 22, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  11. kmwatersaz

This sinister woman insulated herself from the Benghazi hearings by being the one to appoint the review board. This stinks. I see no allegiance to our country much like many of our current politicians on the hill.

September 22, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  12. Linda

Run Hilliary.......please run for President in 2016. GOP went from STUPID to CAZY, not to mention their hatred that they are good at spreading. GOP is a dead end for the 99% and democracy.

September 22, 2013 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  13. gweed

No thank you Nancy. I would like to see someone run who is rather new to the political stage that has created and managed their own business, either currently serves or has served in the Guard or Reserves and holds a MBA versus a law degree. The old school politicians (party not withstanding) have gotten us into the current situation and we need a bright and savvy person to lead us to a better way.

September 22, 2013 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. Guest

Every time I look at her, I think about Ty Woods on top of the Bengahazi consulate blding calling for help, defending our honor, and NOBODY even pretending to come or care.

September 22, 2013 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  15. Wake up People!

Benghazi! Vince Foster! Whitewater! Lewinsky!!!

Blah, blah, blah.

September 22, 2013 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  16. Mainscribe

Frankly, if Hilliary wasnt a Democrat Id probably vote for her.

September 22, 2013 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  17. Josh

She's obviously as prepared as anyone could be. I'd hope even those who strongly oppose her have enough perspective to recognize that. None of that is to say she is the right choice for the job.

September 22, 2013 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  18. Modocer

I've never liked Hillary, or her Progressive "Big Government", "it takes a village" agendas. However, after 5 years of Obama, I really wish she had beaten him in the 2008 primaries.

September 22, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  19. treichel3

I'm not sure why we would want a president who can't recognize when a man is lying to her, and then when she finally realizes he is, takes whatever he dishes out. The president is our point person dealing with foreign leaders. We don't need the first woman president to be one who has shown such weakness in dealing with men. We need a proven strong woman. I hope the Democrats field a much more admirable candidate.

September 22, 2013 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  20. Karl

MyDoberman, Roxy is more ready for WH than Hillary Clinton, her husband or Obama was!

September 22, 2013 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  21. Cameron M.

Why is Nancy Pelosi still in politics. She represents, not alone I might add, but she represents EVERYTHING that is wrong with Washington and politics. Wake up America, our problems are less Republican and Democrat and more bad politicians. Just say "No." Operation American Clean-up.

September 22, 2013 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  22. Mainscribe

In my youth we had Hanoi Jane and today it looks like we are going to elect Bengahzi Hilliary. However, we may be ready for her anyway. We've already become familiar with incompetence with Mr. Obama. Financial misconduct with Mr. Clinton's repeal of the Glass-Steagal Act. (cause of our current dilema) and the corruption of the legislature with Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi.

So, with Hilliary, why not just continue with the dismantling of the country. After all, in her now famous words.."What difference, at this point, does it make?"

This lady scares me.

September 22, 2013 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  23. Robin Jones

Hillary Clinton is certainly better prepared than Barrack Obama is even now, after more than 4 years in office.

September 22, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  24. This girl has serious issues

Yes, lets rehash our old politicians. Nothing ever changes. No new ideas. No new solutions to our problems. Same old politicians. Same old broken government. Great

September 22, 2013 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  25. Joe Clark

And Nancy Pelosi should be prepared for retirement. As a major " player" in Congress over the last decade she has consistently failed the American people in her role as a democratic leader. Not to worry, however, she has accumulated 400 million dollars in personal wealth!

September 22, 2013 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |