September 23rd, 2013
7 months ago

Crossfire: Where are 'compassionate conservatives'?

Van Jones asks where the "compassionate conservatives" have gone. William Kristol of The Weekly Standard and author and professor Cornel West debate on Crossfire.

Filed under: Crossfire
  1. Gurgyl

Compassion, rational are very remote words for GOP thugs. Or else GOP would not nag on healthcare knowing it is American need. I am glad Obama won.

September 23, 2013 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  2. HenryMiller

"Compassionate conservative" is just another way of saying "RINO," i.e., someone who wastes money like a Democrat.

September 23, 2013 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  3. MaryM

Good question. It does not appear there are any in the Teapublicans in the house

September 23, 2013 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  4. Larry in Houston

Good Question CNN.
    Answer: there isn't any left – if there was any, in the first place.

September 23, 2013 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  5. ThinkAgain

Where are the compassionate conservatives? They existed in name only, as evidenced by their policies for the past 30 years.

September 23, 2013 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  6. S. B. Stein

I don't think that there are any "compassionate conservatives." If there were, then they would be creating social welfare organizations that do the work that the federal, state and local governments are doing now. That includes job training, food support and ways to keep people as productive members of society.

September 23, 2013 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  7. Amesbury

Compassion is one thing. It is noble.

Blind stupidity in the face of facts is quite another thing. It is not noble; rather it is dangerous.

September 24, 2013 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  8. M.A.P.

They still exist but unfortunately the dumb loudmouths take all the screentime and are the populist propogandists that control the GOP machine, which lost its heart decades ago. I feel sorry for anyone in that god forsaken party. They astound me with their unbelievable stupidity.

September 24, 2013 04:51 am at 4:51 am |
  9. Neutral Observer

compassionate conservatives: you mean ones that just roll over.

September 24, 2013 06:04 am at 6:04 am |
  10. Marie MD

Compassionate conservatives? I am going to go out on a limb here but I would think dead?
    The party of Lincoln has become the party of me, me, me (I want what I want when I want it from VA's cantor) pretty much gives you an inside about the rethugs.
    They have become the party of do as I order you (wome, gays, seniors, children, veterans) to do even if I am not going to follow those rules myself (i.e., ho's, mistress asked to have an abortion, trolling for men in airport bathrooms, paying off mistress' parents, hiking the Appalachian in Argentina, the list goes on and on)

September 24, 2013 06:24 am at 6:24 am |
  11. Alan S.

These are not the Republicans of the Reagan era, they are Ruthless, Bought and Paid for by Co-founders of the Tea Party; Big Tobacco and the Koch Brothers. This is all about money and the American people the lower Middle Class and Poor are their victims.

September 24, 2013 07:08 am at 7:08 am |
  12. the hippies were right

When I was a kid, my parents would watch a monotone fact based, unopinionated, boring Walter Cronkite evening news cast. Conservatives don't like change, they get scared easily, they have a subjective view of the world. Today my parents evening "news" is 99% biased opinion, and my parents believe every word as fact. The problem is, every word is basically, "Obama is destroying the country". My dad literally sits there yelling, "the stupid clown wants to take my guns, and the Muslim needs to be impeached". They don't want to hear my side of "the story". They tell me. That they learned in church, the Muslims are coming. How can you be politically compassionate when your fed fear daily and believe every word?

September 24, 2013 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  13. rla

Where are the compassionate democrat liberal, progressives as their policies have more people on food stamp and in poverty than at any time in history??? Where are they for the black community that has gone backwards in social/economic terms for decades.. The progressives are the problem!

September 24, 2013 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  14. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Perhaps the question should be "Where are naive conservatives?".

September 24, 2013 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  15. The Real Tom Paine

They're gone, if comments on CNN are any indication.

September 24, 2013 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  16. 2L

I thought that was oxymoron

September 24, 2013 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  17. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Compassionate and conservative don't belong in the same sentence. Carnivorous conservatives is more like it.

September 24, 2013 08:42 am at 8:42 am |