Hollywood A-listers line-up for Booker
September 23rd, 2013
12 months ago

Hollywood A-listers line-up for Booker

(CNN) – Cory Booker’s political fundraiser Monday night might as well include a red carpet with an all-star lineup that includes Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner.

The celebrity heavyweights are lending their names and support to New Jersey’s Democratic Senate hopeful, CNN confirmed.

The fundraiser, first reported by The Hollywood Reporter, is being held at the Los Angeles home of billionaire and Democratic contributor Ron Burkle.

Among others co-hosting the event are “Lost” producer J.J. Abrams, Netflix’s Ted Sarandos and former U.S. Ambassador Nicole Avant.

Tickets are reported to range from a $1,000 to 10,000.

This is his second high-profile fundraiser for the two term mayor of Newark, New Jersey. The first was thrown by Oprah Winfrey in August.

With only a few weeks until the October 16 special election to fill the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg’s Senate seat, Booker maintains a commanding lead ahead of Republican Steve Lonegan. According to a Rutgers-Eagleton survey released in early September 64% of likely voters in the Senate special election support Booker, with 29% backing Lonegan, the former mayor of the northern New Jersey town of Bogota.

Filed under: Cory Booker
  1. Richard Long

... because celebrates are economic, geo-social, political experts that we can trust!

September 23, 2013 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

Both liberals and conservatives conduct these types of big ticket events. At least liberals aren't ashamed to tell you about them when they hold one.

BTW, you know I've always wondered what the total net worth was for the attendees at Mitt Ronmey's "47% video" event.

September 23, 2013 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  3. Al-NY,NY

Booker doesn't need the help. He will wipe the floor with Lonagen. I hear his idiotic radio ads all the time and if he thinks he has any chance, he's as clueless as they come. Cue the "hollywood libruls and who cares what they think" comments. But when the tightie righties get support form hollywood folk, they disappear

September 23, 2013 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  4. O'drama ya Mama

Richard Long

September 23, 2013 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

That must have been what republicans were thinking when they elected Ronald Reagan

September 23, 2013 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  5. Data Driven

Booker has demonstrated he's a friend of the big shots, but he has yet to demonstrate that he's the friend of working men and women.

Residents of Newark: if I'm wrong, please correct my wrong impression by citing specific labor-friendly policies Booker has either put into place or has at least advocated for. I relish being corrected because I don't like to persist in error. Hit me.

September 23, 2013 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  6. Al-NY,NY

O'drama ya Mama

Richard Long

September 23, 2013 11:12 am at 11:12 am |

------

you forgot Sonny Bono, Fred Thompson, and Gopher Fred Grandy....

September 23, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  7. Rudy NYC

Data Driven:

---------------
    Mayors perform a much different job than elected legislators. Booker has successfully fought crime in Newark with more community policing. Booker has fought to sustain and improve the Port of Newark. The City of Newark's web site is not too hard to find. Check out the extensive media pages. Try a web search for " cory booker newark mayor ".

September 23, 2013 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  8. Wake up People!

I'm going to have to google him so I can learn more about him. Right now all I know is he's a black, democratic mayor in NJ who ran into a burning house. It would be nice if journalists actually told you the real deal on the candidates. Same goes for the gordo governor.

September 23, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  9. just asking

aren't liberals always attacking millionaire outsiders trying to buy and influence elections? aren't liberals always bemonaing all the money in elections, etc.? oh yeah, that is only when the money supports other candiates. if it supports one of theirs, then it is all well and good. the dishonesty of the left in full parade...

September 23, 2013 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  10. rs

Al-NY,NY

O'drama ya Mama

Richard Long

September 23, 2013 11:12 am at 11:12 am |

you forgot Sonny Bono, Fred Thompson, and Gopher Fred Grandy....
    _______________________
    Hang on! What about Mr. Eastwood (AND the chair), Ted Nugent and others? It seems the GOP loves Hollywood too, they just have to scrounge a bit more for "their type" of star.

September 23, 2013 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  11. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama 4 Obama
    @Wake up People!
    My sentiments exactly Wake up!
    BTW I was not "allowed" to respond to your "tow new sisters" comment las week, I feel the same way about you and Lynda.
    -------

Oops! I guess we shut down the Dreyfus thread.

I wanted to comment to you that it goes without saying ... I feel the same about you and Wake Up!

September 23, 2013 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Rudy NYC
    Rudy menopause prevents me from remembering what you're thanking me for but you're always welcome just the same!!
    I enjoy your posts. I've learned a lot from them over the years my friend.

September 23, 2013 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  13. just saying

come on nj.... do you really want to elect a door mat that can be easily cory bookered like cory booker was? he spoke his mind and was taken to the woodshed where he promptly changed his mind and got back on the obama democrat plantation. do you honestly think he will be representing you and not obama?!

September 23, 2013 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

just asking

---------------
    Liberals attack conservative billioniares who make their donations in secret, hiding behind the anonymity in campaign finance laws, multiple PACs, and political consulting firms.

September 23, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Wake up!
    Interesting you should say that Wake up! I've always felt that they should give you the background on these folks. Thank God for other news publications and Google, but I don't always have the time to do cnn's research for them.

September 23, 2013 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  16. Gunderson

Wow,
    A Democrat that is a good man. Not many left. Pay attention Peeps. you might learn something!

September 23, 2013 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  17. just asking

Rudy NYC
    -–

yes, because the leftists use that information to publicly attack them, their families, their businesses, all for expressing their politcial beliefs. democrats and leftists are thug criminals that use their union thuggery tactics on their opponents. and now we see it being done within our government with the irs and other agencies. democrats are an organized crime syndicate more than a political party.

September 23, 2013 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

DM40 wrote:

Rudy NYC
    I enjoy your posts. I've learned a lot from them over the years my friend.
    ----------
    Well, I must have "manopause" because I can't remember, either. I can't even remember the day, much less what is was for.

September 23, 2013 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  19. Wake up People!

I've been feeling this way since they began towing the line for Christy. I've read some of the things Rudy has said about him but all I ever get from these articles is fluff and campaign lies. I'd really like to know more.

September 23, 2013 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  20. Data Driven

@Rudy,

I think it depends on the city. Of course, each city has different charters, and elected officials of each have varying powers and varying degrees of influence on economic matters. Where I live, the mayor and city council are heavily involved in local economic policy, usually to San Diego's detriment. Indeed, if they spent more time worrying about first responders, paving the roads, and cleaning the rocket fuel out of our drinking water (I only wish I was making that last part up), instead of actively negotiating with the local professional sports clubs and otherwise getting comfy with the business interests who keep them in their tailored suit pockets, our residents would be much better off.

Anyway, I think my point was that Booker's accomplishments should be more evident, given his (inexplicable) national prominence. Me, I just see another Blue Dog who's chummy with Beltway media types. I will be delighted to be proven wrong if Booker becomes an outspoken liberal in the Senate.

September 23, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |