September 23rd, 2013
1 year ago

Julia Louis-Dreyfus wins second Emmy for 'Veep'

(CNN) - Not many politicians go to the Emmy's but this year at least one politician, although fictional, took the stage to accept an award.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus won her second consecutive best comedy actress Emmy for her role on HBO's "Veep."

Accepting her award in character, complete with a whispering underling by her side, Louis-Dreyfus thanked her family and the cast and crew of the show where she plays Selina Meyer, a fictional vice president of the United States.

Although the show follows Meyer as she makes political deals and delivers speeches, it's still unclear exactly which party she's working for.

Asked about her character's political affiliation on CNN's "New Day" Louis-Dreyfus said she thinks that will become clearer when season 3 starts in spring 2014 but that Meyer is a "straddler".

"I could see a situation where she might switch parties and then switch back again just to sort of stay alive politically," said Louis-Dreyfus.

Also asked about her latest performance in the movie "Enough Said" with the late James Gandolfini, Louis-Dreyfus said the experience is something she will always treasure.

Photo: 'Veep' meets the real one for lunch

Filed under: Vice President
  1. Data Driven

Because banner ads for "New Day" on the right of our screens isn't enough, apparently.

September 23, 2013 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Veep rocks! I love her secretary and Jonah is hilarious.

September 23, 2013 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  3. Wake up People!

I'm not really understanding why this would be considered political...... Shouldn't this be in the entertainment section??

Must be a slow news day at Fox-lite. Nothing to bash the POTUS about this morning?? Oh come on, I'm sure the Sunday morning news shows talking heads had SOMETHING to say.....

September 23, 2013 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

I wonder what the right wing thinks of "Veep".

September 23, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

I was surprised to learn that "The Colbert Report" beat "The Daily Show wih Jon Stewart" for both Outstanding Variety Series and Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series. I guess conservatives are funnier to watch. Who would've guessed?

September 23, 2013 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@Wake up People!
    My sentiments exactly Wake up!
    BTW I was not "allowed" to respond to your "tow new sisters" comment las week, I feel the same way about you and Lynda.
    I read everything "The Gang" (You, Sniffit, Lynda, Rudy, The Real Tom Paine et al) posts during working hours; sometimes, however, as I'm sure you've found out, I can't get through.
    CNN's way of keeping it "fair and balanced" I guess!

September 23, 2013 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  7. Rudy NYC

DM4O wrote:

----------------
    I tried to post you a THX last week that didn't make it. I hope this one makes it. I

September 23, 2013 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. Wake up People!

My sentiments exactly Dominican Mama!

Psst... I think WE are on THE List!

September 23, 2013 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  9. Lynda/Minnesota

Wake up People!
    My sentiments exactly Dominican Mama!

Psst... I think WE are on THE List
    -------

Me too! Me too!

PS: I love all our little chats...

/ smiling face doodad