September 23rd, 2013
11 months ago

Shutdown showdown: How it plays out this week

Washington (CNN) – "Government shutdown looms," blare the headlines and news anchors as Congress lurches toward another stalemate over how to spend tax dollars.

Before you wonder about that Social Security check or selling off your stock portfolio in advance of a possible market crash, consider a couple of political realities in the current debate over spending, Obamacare and the economy.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Budget • Congress
  1. Wake up People!

Really Donna 80% of the people were satisfied?? It must be 80% of the 1% billionaires because I wasn't. Prior to 2008, while I was still employed at my old job, my health insurance went up annually, also my coverage decreased. In 2008 when I finally needed to really use my health care, they Aetna, decided to not cover me. This has happened to countless people over the years. Insurance companies are nothing but rip offs anyways, they charge you huge premiums and the minute you need coverage, they find some excuse not to cover you.

You should really stop making up facts as you go. If 80% of Americans were satisfied with their health care, Willard would be in the WH right now.

September 23, 2013 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

-Gunderson

Ouch!,
    Old Gunderson see 80 plus years of Liberal Politics. Liberal's try Re-Invent Soviet Union. Not work out so well. Why Liberal Politics glaring disaster? You want Obama Care or job? What Conservative replacement for "Putin Care"? It called, "Book your Own Life" Pal. You can do that, can't you? If not call your Nanny.
    ****************
    Hi Hector, or is it Ray? Still dropping your useless lies, I see. Please go in search of fire, you fool.

September 23, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

Donna wrote:

sonny chapman "P.S.- what is the Repub. alternative plan for the Evil Obamacare ? I can't remember."

The healthcare system that we had before the Democrats and Obama destoyed it with Obamacare. 80% of the American people were satisfied with it. But an 80% approval rating didn't mnean anything to the Democrats.
    ------------------
    According to whose poll? Those are some made up numbers if I ever heard any.

The cost of health care insurance rose faster under George W. Bush than at any time in our history. My son's has employer provided health insurance. My son's deductible for an annual checkup went from $5 in 2001 to $15 plus the costs of lab tests by 2008. His premium went from less than $10 per week to about $30 by 2008.

And, they dropped dental and eye care. There was separate plan for dental care, while eye care was dropped completely. Likewise the cost of prescription drugs jumped from a $10 deductible in 2001 to $40 by $2008. Health insurance companies were jacking rates by random amounts simply because they could.

September 23, 2013 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

-just saying

American Hero
    What $$$$ is failing to realize is that some military folk, actually get paid by the government. If there is a shutdown we still have to come to work, but without the pay, I don't know about you but my kid's can't eat without money, my mortgage doesn't get paid, but people like you still get to enjoy the protection people like me provide!

democrats don't care about you or the military anyways. they would be pleased to see the defense budget cut to zero so they could squander hundreds of billions more on their government dependency prorgams.
    ***************
    A couple of weeks ago, you were accusing the Democrats of being warmongers: now we want to cut the military budget to zero? Make up your mind. Are you biploar, or just a conservative who has not read a book since high school?

September 23, 2013 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Rudy NYC

Fair is fair

Yes buddy. Shut it down!
    ---------------–
    Liar. You're a phony. You're one of these neo-libertarians. It ain't hard to tell because you don't know how to act.

September 23, 2013 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. Thomas

Now it's almost certain ,
    John Boehner is irrelevant . Eric Cantor is the new boss of the do nothing snivelers .

@ just saying & Donna , are you the same person , husband and wife , or do you both work for the same political action comity ?

It must be nice , being paid to post disinformation .

September 23, 2013 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  7. Wake up People!

The fake "Fair" is at it again. To pretend or hijack someones online name is so juvenile. But that's the beauty of online anonymity.....

September 23, 2013 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  8. just saying

rs
    $$$$
    You know you have hit bottom when your life is disrupted by a government shutdown. What ever happened to the American concept of rugged individualism? Has it been replaced by "I am not smart enough to figure anything out on my own and I have to the government to help me in all facets of my life"?
    _____________________
    ---

September 23, 2013 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  9. Tony

Shut down Congress. They don't do anything anyway besides causing the government to shut down.

September 23, 2013 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  10. anonymous

Tony
    --–

Fidel!! Is that you?!! Yes, the answer is a leftist dictatorship. With Obama, we are halfway there anyways. Might as well go the distance huh?

September 23, 2013 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  11. Gunderson

Paine in Vein,
    Old Gunderson sorry to report bad News. Good luck Booking new Life. Old Gunderson know you be much more happy in new life. Keep chin up. Me remember one day I feeling really low. Little Voice say, Cheer up, Things could get worse. I Cheer Up, Sure enough, things get worse!

September 23, 2013 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  12. Lynda/Minnesota

All of the above.

September 23, 2013 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  13. kayla

send in the clowns

September 23, 2013 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

David H.

Who is the woman on the right side of the photograph in the red dress? I vote for her.
    ----------------------
    I dunno, but I do know two things. One, it's a gathering of Republicans. Two, the devil wears a red dress.

September 23, 2013 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  15. freedom

Obamacare going into effect is much more damaging than shutting down the government – it will effect this country for generations to come, while shutting down the government is temporary. Reid, Pelosi, and Obama, including the Chief Justices will not have to be under Obamacare – they just want to control the American people in the most intimate part of their lives – their health issues, while gutting the middle class economically. Defund it, shut it down, do whatever it takes.

September 23, 2013 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  16. ThinkAgain

The Republicans want to defund Obamacare in exchange for funding the government. But the health care act at the center of this storm would continue its implementation process during a shutdown. That's because its funds aren't dependent on the congressional budget process.

And yet people still support the idea of shutting down the government. Considering the negative ripple effect it will have on our economy, it makes you think that perhaps the real goal of the government shut down is to throw our country into another deep recession so the GOP can blame President Obama.

And the GOP knows this would fly with their base, given they are a bunch of "Deliverance" extras determined to act against their own self-interest.

September 23, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  17. ThinkAgain

The House's approval rating is at about 8%.

The tea folks are in the majority in the House (even though, thanks to redistricting, they got 1.4 million fewer votes than Democratic candidates).

The only way to repair our government is to get rid of the tea folks.

FIFY

September 23, 2013 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  18. Marie MD

@tony, fat radio boy keeps his multi million dollar job so does insanity and all the crazies on faux news.
    The ones that will be hurt if there is a government shut down are the government employees, contractors, companies that deal with the government (food, supplies, etc), our Metro system, VRE and MARC in DC, restaurants and mom and pop eateries and, even I'd they won't hurt as much, big oil companies since nobody will be driving to work. No passportsor visas issued. Our national parks and museums will closed. The list goes on and on. We have seniors who will receive their SS checks but they might be delayed. Our military, unless deployed, also won't get paid (keep voting rethugs soldiers). First food stamps now everything else. Our economy will tank because there will be millions without jobs.
    The only ones who are NOT affected? Congress, not that most they do any work.So if the tea tards want to shut down our nation just remember congress continues to be paid. They will be the only government employees who do.
    The rethugs continue to try to take our country down bit by bit and some people are too dumb, because even if affected by a shut down, they love their psycho masters.

September 23, 2013 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  19. ThinkAgain

@just saying: "it figures one of the first things a liberal democrat thinks of doing is to steal and rob!!! how about doing an honest days work for pay like all of the peoiple that pay for you now? i guess it is just easier to have the government do your stealing for you as they steal a good part of my paycheck before i even see it."

If Dems are such lazy moochers living off of government handouts, then why do Blue states have higher per-capita incomes than Red states? Then why do Red states take in more federal dollars than they send to Washington?

And why do you insist on living in an alternate reality where facts don't penetrate?

September 23, 2013 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  20. $$$$

Sure, get yer gun and shoot an animal for food, take your neighbor's gasoline, maybe steal from Safeway..... are you for real? The Cowboy and Indian Days went the way of the steam locomotive.
    --------------
    Yes Tinkerbell, I am for real....a real American. As opposed to you who is just a person who is living in America.
    I consider being called a "cowboy" a compliment. Thanks!!!

I

September 23, 2013 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  21. The Real Tom Paine

-just saying

rs
    $$$$
    _____________________

*************************
    Yes, we will finally admit it, jsut saying: we have specifically targeted you because you are the lynchpin that holds our society together. We also regard you as the life of the party, ( provided that it's the Nazis): get over yourself. For someone claims to be working harder than the rest of humanity, you always seem to find time in your busy day of defending your wallet from the predations of the government that keeps you safe and provides you with the infrastructure neccessary to earn a living to keep posting your blather. I want to congratulate you on also conclusively proving that conservatism can straddle both biploar disorder and egocentric paranoia: you are the missing link of mental disorders.

September 23, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |