Elections in Boston and Alabama's 1st Congressional District
Boston Mayor Thomas Menino
September 24th, 2013
11 months ago

Elections in Boston and Alabama's 1st Congressional District

(CNN) - Two positions long held by elected officials in Boston and Alabama are up for grabs and the competition is fierce.

Voters in Boston are heading to the polls Tuesday and for the first time in 20 years they won't see Democratic Mayor Thomas Menino's name.

Menino, Boston's longest serving mayor, announced in March that he would not be seeking re-election, kicking off a busy race to fill his spot. Twelve candidates are running and Tuesday's contest will narrow the field to two.

Voters will also be casting ballots for councillor at-large and district city council with general elections set for November 5.

Farther South, the House race for Alabama's 1st congressional district is also a crowded field. Voters will be choosing between nine Republican candidates in the primary election.

The seat opened after GOP Rep. Jo Bonner resigned in August and accepted a position as Vice Chancellor for Government Relations and Economic Development with the University of Alabama system.

In such a crowded field it's possible that no candidate will receive more than 50 percent of the vote – resulting in a special runoff election on November 5th and a general election in December.

Republicans have held the seat since 1964. Two Democrats are also battling for their party's nomination, and one independent is also in the race.

Filed under: Alabama • Massachusetts
  1. Rudy NYC

from the article:

---------------
    Allow me to translate for you. Republicans have held the seat since the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

September 24, 2013 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  2. Wake up People!

Thank you Rudy!

September 24, 2013 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  3. Data Driven

I thank you second, Rudy. Amazing how many things have been the same down South "since 1964".

September 24, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  4. Wake up People!

@Rudy and DD,

Which is why you couldn't pay me to live down there. I won't even visit.

DD, I got such a kick out of your comment about having your wife pick out your clothes. I had to do the same for my ex. His brother would see him and immediately know who picked his clothes out. Good looking man but no sense of style. LOL.

September 24, 2013 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  5. Data Driven

@Wake Up,

For me, it started in the 80s when I was in a teenager in a "hair band" doing rock covers and such. I somehow got ahold of a pair of red leather pants that I would wear on "stage" (usually at neighborhood parties) when I played with my fellows. Well, I also managed to get myself a girlfriend who took one look at those pants, held them up critically, looked at me and said, and I quote, "Oh god no. You're trying too hard." Humbled, I submitted to her superior wisdom, and have done so since in these matters whenever they have arisen. :)

September 24, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |