Fact Check: Repealing Obamacare adds to deficit
September 25th, 2013
11 months ago

Fact Check: Repealing Obamacare adds to deficit

ASSERTION:
Repealing Obamacare will add to the deficit.

President Barack Obama at the Clinton Global Initiative, September 24, said: "It is a net reduction of our deficit…if they repealed the law it would add to the deficit.”

FACTS:

In May, 2013 the Congressional Budget Office wrote House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, R-Wis, stating, that it and the Joint Committee on Taxation “most recently estimated the budgetary impact of repealing the [Affordable Care Act] in July 2012. In a letter to Speaker Boehner (sent on July 24, 2012), CBO described the direct spending and revenue effects of H.R. 6079, the Repeal of Obamacare Act, as passed by the House of Representatives earlier in July. In that letter, CBO indicated that the net savings from eliminating the insurance coverage provisions of the ACA would be more than offset by the combination of other spending increases and revenue reductions that repeal of the ACA would entail. On balance, CBO and JCT estimated, repealing the ACA would affect direct spending and revenues in ways resulting in a net increase in budget deficits of $109 billion over the 2013-2022 period.”

The ACA law as written requires a lot of money to be shelled out over the next 10 years - $1.4 trillion. But it also raises tax revenue and the hope is that it will help cut health care costs.

As a result, the Congressional Budget Office estimates that the law as a whole would reduce deficits.

VERDICT:
True.

Filed under: Deficit • Fact Check Obamacare • Health care
  1. Data Driven

FACT! - repealing Obamacare adds to the deficit!

September 25, 2013 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. Sniffit

ZOMG! Skewed statistics!!! President Romney is furious!!!!

September 25, 2013 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  3. The Real Tom Paine

September 25, 2013 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

FACT!!! Rates are lower in states with exchanges. FACT!!!

September 25, 2013 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. Sniffit

"Hear those screams, followed by a popping sound? Righties heads exploding at the suggestion...music to my ears."

While I appreciate CNN's out-of-character attempt to be very fact-oriented on the Ticker today, I'm still wondering why they haven't gotten around to reporting on the study that found premiums are turning out lower than even the CBO predicted. All the RWNJ headsplosions are going to start sounding like fireworks.

September 25, 2013 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  6. Abbey

FACT ! Rates will drive many companies to not hire full time. FACT ! Raising revenues will fall, and impact future deficits.

September 25, 2013 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  7. Name jk. Sfl. GOP conservatives,the garbage of America.

Just shows the GOP for the liers and misinformation experts that they are trying to protect their corporate healthcare cronies at our expense, why would ANY voter vote for the do nothing GOP that only WASTS taxpayers money????

September 25, 2013 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  8. Stuffit

As I stood behind the woman using her SNAP card (that is the Obama PC term for food stamps) and running lots of pies, cakes, snacks and soft drinks through the cash register while talking to someone in a very loud voice about her new television on her Obama phone, I thought about Pelosi saying that the cupboard was bare for any more cuts. As I went to the parking lot I saw the same woman piling her groceries in a new Cadillac Escalade that was blasting the lot with hip hop music and I thought how the Senate Majority Leader and the president are blasting me and calling me names because I don't want to pay more tax money. I am sure democrat liberal readers of this post will call me a Neanderthal racist.

September 25, 2013 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  9. Gurgyl

--surprisingly IRAQ WAR, AFGANISTAN WAR, 30 BILLION DOLLARS YEARLY DOES NOT, NOT ADD TO THE DEFICIT!!!!!!!! American Taliban GOP knows.

September 25, 2013 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  10. jinx9to88

Shhhhhhhh. – I am waiting for a GOP/Cruz supporter to say something.

September 25, 2013 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  11. Would You Look at That

The Real Tom Paine wrote:

It's not surprising that a tax reduces the deficit... not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

September 25, 2013 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  12. RAC

Is this for real?Why is Congress exempt from Obamascare?

September 25, 2013 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  13. Name jk. Sfl. GOP conservatives,the garbage of America.

The nut job GOP teaparty bafoons Cruz will be gone after his next election. Cruz says he represents 28 million texans , but only one% voted for him,GOP teaparty idiot!!!

September 25, 2013 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  14. Tampa Tim

But Fox say this is wrong. Who are you going to believe, the CBO or Fox and friends?

September 25, 2013 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  15. Tampa Tim

This is really going to upset super sensitive Tom l, so watch out for him (or her) to play the race card.

September 25, 2013 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  16. Rigs

Republicans will just say the opposite, they don't care about facts as proven by this over use of the "congress is exempt" fallacy

September 25, 2013 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  17. Winning

No Stuffit, we won't call you that, but we certainly would call you a liar. Your story didn't happen, and the points it was trying to make are predicated on lies as well. It doesn't bode well for your position that you have to lie and mislead in order to support it.

September 25, 2013 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  18. Sniffit

"I am sure democrat liberal readers of this post will call me a Neanderthal racist.

I'm pretty sure "liar" will suffice this time around. That story is straight of Reagan's "welfare queen" playbook and is designed solely to play to right wing confirmation bias and race resentment. It's a fairy tale.

September 25, 2013 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  19. Tampa Tim

Republicans should all go on national TV beg for forgiveness for lying to the American People about ACA.

September 25, 2013 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  20. Becker

Its not going to cut costs because its not competitive and I doubt seriously it will reduce deficits. We are paying more in taxes and insurance premiums are rising not falling. Obamacare will be a disaster. For my family using concierge care combined with a high deductible catastrophic health care plan has been equivalent in cost with more personal service to my company plan. Individuals can't escape government but middle to high end earners will cut costs in other areas that effect the economy as witnessed the last few years.

September 25, 2013 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  21. rs

And the GOP dies just a little more with the revelation on even lower premium rates, and with the ever-so-unlikely defunding of the ACA negatively impacting the budget and defict.
    Facts: just so darned inconvenient for the GOP. They show Americans just who the GOP really works for.

September 25, 2013 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  22. Hal

I guess we will find out soon enough.

September 25, 2013 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  23. the hippies were right

I can hear the righties now concerning all these facts. "OK, but where did you get your facts, and how do you know they are all true?" Then 2 minutes later they will turn on Hannity and never once question his "facts". Poor simple minded idiots!

September 25, 2013 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  24. vikingwoman

Here are some disturbing but Real facts directed @ people like Stuffit et.al! People who live on SS, SSI or SSDI like my elderly mom or war vet neighbor, get about $8-900 per month! They can apply for that snappy Snap card to the tune of $16-40 per month! The Assurance phone gives a person 200 free minutes, per month! The VA healthcare system is doing OK by my neighbor, but my mom's recent illness is taking a huge chunk of $$ she doesn't have, despite Medicare & supplemental insurance!These are facts & people who can no longer work due to age or illness are still thankful for these small graces! I'm pretty sure this true story depicts a much more realistic picture of what it's like to "live on the govt. dole," than Stuffit's "made for concervative rage" fairytale!!

September 25, 2013 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  25. Clarke O Thompson

Blue Cross of Idaho has raised our rates 12% in August of this year and said it was because of the Affordable Care Act, How do you pay for all the people that qualify for assistance on their premium with out raising taxes, and why if I have insurance don't I qualify for help on my premium, and is it a fact that small business are cutting hours or scaling back so they do not have to provide insurance? Why did the President pull back on some and not all till it is proven ready..

September 25, 2013 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |