Bush 'doing pretty good' after heart procedure
September 27th, 2013
7 months ago

Bush 'doing pretty good' after heart procedure

Washington (CNN) – Former President George W. Bush said he's "doing fine" after having a stent placed in his heart last month.

"Other than the fact that I nearly bled to death when I nicked myself shaving because I'm taking blood thinner, I'm doing pretty good," he joked. "I thought you were going to have to put a tourniquet on me."

"I'm doing fine," he added. Bush comments came in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America" while the former president was hosting the "Warrior Open," a golf tournament in Dallas for wounded warriors.

The 43rd president also weighed in on his new role as a grandfather. His daughter, Jenna Bush Hager, gave birth to Laura 'Mila' Hager in April.

"Captured, completely captured," Bush said, describing what it feels like to be a grandparent. "It's a joy to watch Jenna mother; it's a joy to watch Laura be a grandmother."

"I was telling Laura the other day I can't wait to be able to take Mila around the ranch and answer all her questions about the trees and the animals and the grasses," he added.

Bush also talked about the difference between being a grandparent versus being a parent.

"It's like a practice session in basketball versus the full court press. You can show up and love–and pass back. It's a great experience," he said.

Filed under: George W. Bush
  1. rs

It would be wonderful if every American got the same healthcare deal as former Presidents, Congressmen and Senators.

Get well, sir!

September 27, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

That's great news. I assume that he's resumed his favorite hobby, painting dogs. He's quite good at it.

September 27, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  3. ronjayaz

It's hard to beat the sincerity of Bush II. He's simply a likely guy. Of course, he was a complete failure IMHO because of the two wars & the costly way he anchored the future Democratic president & led us into the turmoil of our do-nothing Congress. But I do wish him well.

September 27, 2013 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  4. boger

Cool beans

September 27, 2013 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  5. Jack

Thanks. Never heard a complain from you. Great president of the United State of America.

September 27, 2013 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  6. gpaul50

I wish you well Mr. Bush, I didn't vote for you or agree with you on much but I think you're probably a decent man and mean well. If I could pick someone to sit down and have a beer with you would be one of my top picks, of course no beer for you, sorry.

September 27, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  7. BooBooBubby

Although he isnt my favorite president, I wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

September 27, 2013 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  8. Troy

Seems Presidents always get a popularity boost after they are out of office - we finally get to see the "real" McCoy. In almost every case, we see they are real people, too.

September 27, 2013 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  9. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Momma taught me that if you don't have nothing nice to say, it's best not say nothing at all.

September 27, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  10. Government Waste Rules

I wasn't a big fan of President Bush but I hope he recovers OK.

September 27, 2013 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  11. Keith ..... in Oregon

You were a good president and you deserve the chance to take it easy now, play some golf, be a grandfather.

I wish you and your family well, sir

September 27, 2013 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  12. Alquimia

GW was not my favorite president, but Laura was my favorite first lady. I wish them both well. Enjoy grand parenthood!

September 27, 2013 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  13. joet

Don't like the guy, but if he takes care of himself and listens to his doctors he'll be around to enjoy his grandchildren. Had two implanted 10 + years ago and am doing fine.

September 27, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  14. Demigod Vadik, CA

Wish you a speedy recovery Mr. President...

...just please, you and your family stay away from politics...

September 27, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  15. Wake up People!

Glad you're doing well. That said..... How can anyone be considered great that took the country from a surplus to a deficit, started two unnecessary wars and crashed the economy??? Really? I know many of you dislike President Obama but let's be fair. You act like the country was peaches and cream prior to January 20, 2009. Well my world wasn't. My world came crumbling down on September 30, 2009.

September 27, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  16. Gurgyl

Good luck, I don't like the way your presidency ran making me feel scary another Texan idiot to that WH. Get well, sir.

September 27, 2013 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  17. Wake up People!

Oops September 30, 2008. Damn Foxlite keeps zapping me.

September 27, 2013 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  18. Josh

Doing "well" Mr. President.

September 27, 2013 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. GSMITH

Democrats are hateful, racists, disgusting people who you should never vote for. We miss you George Bush, we are stuck with an incompetent person for President

September 27, 2013 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  20. Hope he suffers - then dies

Yeah. I hate him. What of it?

September 27, 2013 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  21. farmerincanada

the bush crime family lives on the steal so more.

September 27, 2013 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  22. Hope he suffers before passing on to hell

Yes, I hate him. What of it?

September 27, 2013 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  23. Maine liberal

get well and enjoy your single payer government health insurance

September 27, 2013 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  24. He is a waste of oxygen

We'd be better off without him.

September 27, 2013 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  25. Yah

I thought he was in good shape. Shocked to hear He needs a heart stent at 67 years. My grandparents lived to 93+ and my dad is currently 79 no heart issues. Must be something to do with their vegeterian diet.

September 27, 2013 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |