September 30th, 2013
11 months ago

Moderate House Republicans failed to line up votes for separate plan

Updated 7:30 p.m. ET 9/30/13

Washington (CNN) – Moderate House Republicans who wanted to fund the government with no strings attached failed to line up votes against a House GOP plan to renew federal coffers while chipping away at Obamacare.

Rep. Charlie Dent, R-Pennsylvania, Rep. Peter King, R-New York, and others feverishly made calls to stage what would have been effectively a revolt.

They said they were hoping there were enough GOP members like them who were fed up with the tactics of the leadership that they can find enough votes to defeat the first procedural measure, known as the rule.

That would have prevented the House GOP leadership from even bringing their plan up at all. Because the moderate Republicans failed to generate enough support, the broader GOP bill that includes anti-Obamacare provisions will now go to a final vote.

Given the makeup of the GOP caucus, the House Republican moderates needed 17 Republicans to agree to defy their leadership, and be willing to face what will undoubtedly be the wrath of the conservative grassroots.

"We have people in the conference, I believe, who'd be just as happy to have the government shutdown," King said. "They live in these narrow echochambers. They listen to themselves and their tea party friends. That keeps them going, forgetting that the rest of the country thinks we're crazy."

Filed under: Congress
  1. just some fact finding not defending

Members of Congress are covered by private insurance under the same system that covers all federal workers.Members of Congress have good health insurance by any standard, but it’s not free and not reserved only for them – and it’s not government insurance. House and Senate members are allowed to purchase private health insurance offered through the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, which covers more than 8 million other federal employees, retirees and their families.

September 30, 2013 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  2. The GOP is self-destructing!

Let's make sure we limit Obama to only two terms!!! His terms and the terms of the Dem party!

September 30, 2013 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  3. Tom

Boehner has no delusions about getting these proposals past the Senate. Eventually, he will send them something they will agree on. Until then, the Republicans have nothing but a list of Senators and how they voted.

September 30, 2013 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  4. Jerry Jumper

All these guys are concerned about is getting re-elected. What ever happened to dealing with the problems of the country?

September 30, 2013 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  5. UriNation

Where do I sign up for the revolt?

September 30, 2013 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  6. KBNJ

King and Dent are DOA next election. 2 more from the Tea Party, the only successful third party in my lifetime.

September 30, 2013 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  7. Blue Dog

Wow! GOP does not have even 17 sensible moderate congressmen left. GOP is in a bad state.

September 30, 2013 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  8. MJW

I hate these Republicans for what they are doing to this country. There only incentive is trying to get to this President and it will not work They will destroy each other instead. There is a scripture that said ' no weapon form against you shall prosper.' And 'when God is for you who can be against you.' John Boehner is the cause of all this....if he had stood up to them when he had made the Grand bargain in 2011, he would have at least have some guts. He is weak and Ted Cruz is leading them with all that hate spouting from his mouth. I have never seen anyone with such a darkness coming from his mouth.

September 30, 2013 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  9. navaJohn

One name. Grover Norquist

September 30, 2013 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  10. Wascally Wepubwicans

These guys must be afraid of Harry Reid

September 30, 2013 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  11. Richard

It didn't work with Gingrich in '95 and it won't work again. The rest of the world must think America is self-abusive.

September 30, 2013 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  12. jay nusca

I'm glad i'm living in Canada. Phew!!

September 30, 2013 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  13. Nancy

I am ashamed to be a Republican. I am never to be a Republican again

September 30, 2013 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  14. Republican for life

Going tomorrow to the courthouse and change my affliation to Democrat. After 40 years as a Republican. From a family that has been Republican since the 1890's. It's sad that there are no Republicans left who remember that they are elected to serve ALL of America, not just special interests.

September 30, 2013 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  15. Mike

Can anyone knowledgeable about this topic explain what will happen to state and local governments short term if the shutdown does indeed occur?

September 30, 2013 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  16. Bob

The GOP has become too rabid and insane to govern.

September 30, 2013 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  17. Republicans are to blame

Republicans hate women, they hate gays, they hate non-christians and now they've let us know that they hate non-rich Americans. The party of Hate – Republicans Cry Babies. I've had it with them.

September 30, 2013 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  18. TC

Ok..... so I'm sure there has to be a way everyone (the public) can say – thats enough – and just remove them – without cause.

September 30, 2013 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  19. Paul

Government FOR the people. ...yeah right! I am ashamed to have called myself a republican all these years. Re-elect nobody!

September 30, 2013 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  20. aallen333

The sun will still come up tomorrow, people will go to work (except for some national parks folks) and we'll find out that Armageddon won't happen. Enough with all of the drama.

September 30, 2013 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  21. James Ruston

You know you are in trouble when Peter King is the voice of moderation.

September 30, 2013 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  22. trc1962

Makes me wish I lived in Canada. I recently took a job that I have been wanting, it offers no benefits, but pays much better than the job I left by far (which had benefits, but paid poor). I took the job because I could purchase insurance myself on January 1st. I am disgusted by republicans entirely.

September 30, 2013 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  23. CJB

Charlie Dent, Bob Corker and Peter King better start looking for new jobs. They are not representing their constituents.

September 30, 2013 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  24. Pat Disney

But now the best men have refused to submit to the rule of force and brutality. The strikers are avenging the spirit of America.

America was founded on reason and individualism, on the inviolate supremacy of man's right to exist and achieve. It cannot survive on an altruist moral basis.

The strike will end only when the morality of sacrifice is abandoned and the country can be rebuilt on the moral premise that each individual is an end in himself.

September 30, 2013 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  25. CJB

I have never seen such hate coming from a sitting president. He could care less about the American people. The Bible says that in the end, we would be ruled by fools.

September 30, 2013 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |