September 30th, 2013
1 year ago

Moderate House Republicans failed to line up votes for separate plan

Updated 7:30 p.m. ET 9/30/13

Washington (CNN) – Moderate House Republicans who wanted to fund the government with no strings attached failed to line up votes against a House GOP plan to renew federal coffers while chipping away at Obamacare.

Rep. Charlie Dent, R-Pennsylvania, Rep. Peter King, R-New York, and others feverishly made calls to stage what would have been effectively a revolt.

They said they were hoping there were enough GOP members like them who were fed up with the tactics of the leadership that they can find enough votes to defeat the first procedural measure, known as the rule.

That would have prevented the House GOP leadership from even bringing their plan up at all. Because the moderate Republicans failed to generate enough support, the broader GOP bill that includes anti-Obamacare provisions will now go to a final vote.

Given the makeup of the GOP caucus, the House Republican moderates needed 17 Republicans to agree to defy their leadership, and be willing to face what will undoubtedly be the wrath of the conservative grassroots.

"We have people in the conference, I believe, who'd be just as happy to have the government shutdown," King said. "They live in these narrow echochambers. They listen to themselves and their tea party friends. That keeps them going, forgetting that the rest of the country thinks we're crazy."

Filed under: Congress
  1. Brian

The word is "compromise". The so called "Obamacare" has parts which could be changed if they would leave behind the all or nothing mind set.

September 30, 2013 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  2. Matt

If "moderate" Republicans could pull this off... Right now, for me, personally, Republicans and "moderate" are irreconcilable. By my experience, Republicans are solely about destroying the "United" SA by any means possible. Solely, in pursuit of their ideology. It is like flying a jet-liner into the heart of our country, society, all what makes us American; no different. A terrorist attack.

September 30, 2013 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  3. Nancy

I would vote republican again if the true republicans would take back their party!!

September 30, 2013 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  4. douglas m bryan

It is good to know that there are reasonable Republicans in Congress. A big thank you to them

September 30, 2013 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  5. Bill

A party at war with itself.

September 30, 2013 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  6. stephen

drumbeat story with no facts behind it other than McCain is trying to save his job by supporting our deadbeat of a president. McCain is out next year, gone! No Good Will. Screw his service record. GONE!

September 30, 2013 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  7. DustyOnes

It would be less than 10% caving in.

September 30, 2013 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  8. Liz Clarke

I hope the moderates succeed. These Tea Party extremists have no place in the governing of your country. it saddens me to see how they are reducing a great nation to a talk show joke. As a Canadian who regards you as the best neighbour any country could ask for, I implore you to please get the Tea Party out of government and into the travelling tent shows where they belong. You're smart enough to do it, and unquestionably gutsy enough to do it – so let that that incredible spirit you're so admired for loose and do it. Thanks for allowing me to participate, I adore your country and mean no offense.

September 30, 2013 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  9. Canadian Buckeye

Now that I am here in Canada with awesome healthcare without spending 14,000.00 per year in premiums and deductibles – I can only sit here with my popcorn and watch the show!

September 30, 2013 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  10. Bill Chalam

Tea party is for kids boot them out , they are a pain in the neck

September 30, 2013 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  11. DThorne

First bit of good news I have read regarding this mess...

September 30, 2013 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  12. Bob Ramos

The last report I had was that the moderate Repubs had 17 votes – 3 shy of 20. They should get these within an hour. Effectively, this ends the effectiveness of Boehner as Speaker. I look for a new Speaker sometime late this week.

September 30, 2013 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  13. Logic N LA

Thank you SANE Republicans for making this effort! Maybe after this vote, you can get some other bills passed the loony wing has held up.

September 30, 2013 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Hear! Hear!
    I wish these true Republicans Godspeed in their efforts and I thank them in advance regardless of the outcome for their willingness to face down the cray-crays in the Tea Party in order to do what they know to be the right thing for this country.
    Bravo and good luck!

September 30, 2013 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  15. DThorne

By the way, where did Sen Ted Cruz disappear to? Haven't heard a word from the man that started and instigated this whole mess...

September 30, 2013 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  16. Ragster

Just the beginning of the Republican civil war which will lead to three parties in Congress. Next will be the Democratic civil war which will lead to some of them defecting to join former Repubs in new party or form a fourth party. Its about time.

September 30, 2013 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  17. OGreen

May be there are still enough moderate Republicans in the GOP to stop the fanatical Tea Party faction which has just about taken over the once worthy Grand Old Party.

September 30, 2013 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  18. Jason

The sad thing is the more cowardly Rs who realize the political damage to the party as a whole, but not wanting to PO the base, so they're privately rooting for others to walk that plank.

September 30, 2013 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  19. Hawaii Cat

Moderate Republicans and moderate Democrats need to join forces. Agree to disagree. Fine. Agree to work through legislation in a legislative manner. Tantrums are for 3-year olds, not members of Congress.

September 30, 2013 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  20. debra

YAY!!! Finally–a GOP voice of reason!!!

September 30, 2013 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  21. Nathan

@Rocco, I'd like to know where your statistics come from, that's some startling news, I'm surprised CNN hasn't picked that up. 50% unemployment, wow... And whoever votes this down might also be there to represent the USA, not just the Tea Party.

September 30, 2013 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  22. crazyvermont

Where were these adult democrats when good Ole Tip O Neil chose to shut down the government ? Short term memory?

September 30, 2013 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  23. Eli Cabelly

I really hope they can succeed at this.

September 30, 2013 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  24. Dan

A third party is going to emerge. Using such tactics as this to make a possibly bad law worse, without any plan to fix it, will accelerate the process.

September 30, 2013 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  25. HeatherG

I'm a registered independent who votes democrat because of the tea party crazies, who scare the he ll out of me and my ladyparts. But I am annoyed with some democratic policies. Moderate republicans- take your party back (for real and for good) from the extreme right and you will have my vote, as well as many other free-thinking democrats. The tea party and extreme right may be incredibly vocal, but they are also incredibly small.

September 30, 2013 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |