September 30th, 2013
12 months ago

Live: Federal government shutdown begins

– The U.S. government shutdown went into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET Tuesday after lawmakers in the House and the Senate could not agree on a spending bill to fund the government.
- See how shutdown could affect you; and see what will be closed; what will be open.
- Senate on Tuesday morning rejected another GOP measure that would have altered Obamacare, and a House GOP request to negotiate differences.
- President Barack Obama: Shutdown is the "height of irresponsibility." | Transcript
- Congress managed to pass a bill that would allow members of the military to continue receiving pay during shutdown.
- Updates below; also, check out our full story.

Filed under: Congress
  1. John C

The ACA is yet another unworkable law designed to address real concerns AND attract a voting base while not having a real means for paying for it. I define "real means" as the true cost of the law, which has been covered up in so many superficial, partisan words that's it's not worth detail. For those who want to argue I'll start with "you can keep your existing plan -you can keep your doctor – this is not a tax". All overt, partisan lies to accomplish a noble goal, that just isn't financially realistic EXCEPT if you only want to buy votes.
    So – when a portion of the country, who BTW wants heath care for everyone, stands up and points to the lies, truly, with history on their side, disbelieves that costs, in the midst of a additional 6 TRILLION dollar deficit (president Obama's administration has added fully a THIRD to the US national debt) are not reasonable, AND whose put forth a budget that does abide previous spending commitments, I suggest that the folks with objections aren't the problem. The problem is with an man whose set a tone of "I'm right, you're wrong". He's the one who won't tolerate compromise or conciliation. He's not worried about health care, or the red line, he's worried about his image and power. Just look at what the man does, not what he says.

September 30, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  2. DrZ

The House should listen to Senator John McCain. Simply, even if the Republicans had the votes in the Senate to pass a bill defunding Obamacare, or a bill punting funding down the road a year (which they do not), they do not even come close to the number of votes it would take to override a President Obama veto of such a bill. I am reminded that Obamacare passed both the House and Senate and was signed into law (and weathered U.S. Supreme Court review). If the Republicans want to repeal Obamacare (which is the law of the land), they need to secure control of both the House and Senate and repeal it through legislation, not by playing funding games. .

September 30, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  3. MTJ

MM, bingo. Gets right to the bottom line point. Posture all you want, politicians (incl Reps + Obama), but bottom line is govt needs tremendous trimming...period.

September 30, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  4. Wes

There is no compromise with the Tea Party republicans. You are either with them or against them. They are religious racist zealots who want to turn the country into a theocratic dictatorship. They can't even compromise with their "fellow" Republicans, you know the ones who aren't total fascist nazis.

September 30, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  5. Sniffit

"I don't want the government to shutdown either, but she is out of line calling it a GOP Shutdown when her party is the one who rejected the bill."

Technically, they didn't reject it. They amended it and the next step in the procedure is for it to go back to the House and be voted upon. The House GOP/Teatrolls refuse to allow it to be voted upon.

September 30, 2013 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  6. RB

EXACTLY! He should NOT offer anything. I don't want his health care. So defund it obama, and keep the machine rolling. MORON!

September 30, 2013 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  7. Wayne

Can somebody tell me the specifics of the GOP's problem with the ACA? What is so bad about it that they have to be totally consumed with blocking it? What's their plan? Or do they just want to return to the prior system?

September 30, 2013 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  8. Marty, FL

The far right wingers here are desperately trying to muddy the waters. They know the TGOP owns the shutdown and have been advocating for it for years ever since Clinton.

Boehner clearly has the votes to pass the Senate's bipartisan bill, but the TGOP chooses ideology again over bipartisan compromise and refuses to allow the bill to be brought to the floor. Own it.

September 30, 2013 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  9. Click clock

The President of the United States of America along with Democrats drew their own line. The Republicans also drew their own line. Now, we have a stalemate. What to do now? Play the blame game? Whatever happened to compromise? Who's the leader of this country? The Republicans? Last I checked it was the Commander in Chief, the President. Why is the President busy talking with other countries when he should be talking with the House and/or Congress? Why can't he help get congress to talk and negotiate? Does this have to go so far that almost a million people will be temporarily out of jobs and no pay? Does the economy have to take a negative direction? Small or big or in between sizes businesses will get hurt and stocks will take incremental dips. Is this how one of the most powerful countries in the world should run? Who bets other countries are laughing at us now? I'm ashamed and lost hope. How can we, the people, fix this?

September 30, 2013 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. Robb34

Now, let's take a look at this. Everyone bashing both sides on here (isn't that the same as what the house and senate are doing). Have not read a single realistic look at the issue. Some people say the republicans are holding the country hostage and it is their way or the highway. Let's look at that. So the republicans are saying it must include change to the ACA "ObamaCare" or else – so they propose amendments, which go nowhere. And the Dems in the senate say pass our bill or else. Both sides are wanting 100% or no deal. Both sides are acting like children and threatening to take their toys home if they don't get what they want. This whole problem started long ago and is not on any single issue. Dems passed "ObamaCare" with a procedural move under "deficit reduction". I can we can all agree ObamaCare is not a deficit reduction. There was no compromise, not any intent to compromise.. So the Rep's fight push back. In the end of the day, trying to blame one party is a lie. We have been lied to by all sides (Republicans, Democrats and the President). Am I in favor of "ObamaCare", no.. Are there good parts of it, absolutely, and anyone that says ut is 100% good for the county is flat lying (support your arguement there is no way you can do it). Yes, more people have access to healthcare (great). More taxes on average people (bad). Women's health and no pre-existing conditions (grear), imapct to debt and defict (bad). But until all sides are willing to acknowledge the failures and positive aspects and do it right and equatable, BOTH SIDE AND ALL BRANCHES ARE TO BLAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 30, 2013 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  11. Donna

David
    A law, is a law, is a law... unless it is rescinded. When you only control one house of the legislative branch, you simply cannot change the law by having a hissy fit

Yet Obama did just that with our immigration laws. Refused to enforce others too. DOMA, Don't Ask, Don't Tell. If he can do it why not others? Obama only wants to enforce what he likes. Why can't Republicans fund what they like?

September 30, 2013 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  12. Sam I Am

The Democrats are either insane or evil.

September 30, 2013 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  13. Nicky

I want to know from all the people parroting Obama and Reid by calling the members of the Tea Party "Radical" why do you think this is true????

I don't think a group of people wanting the government to mind their business and stay out of their wallets is radical at all... but of course those who are for "Big Government" would say those things, especially ones that live in "Big Dem Cities".. you know the ones ran by Dems completely by Dems like Chicago and Detroit...

You people are funny.. The Dems raise taxes and claim it's for the little people, but yet the poor stay poor and the rich get even richer in these cities.... but yet somehow it's the "Tea Party" or the "Repubs" fault..... I think you guys are radical...

September 30, 2013 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  14. DeWayne Durrett

Obama is a liar and is not that bright. That is all that needs to be said.

September 30, 2013 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  15. Ian

Being a Canadian who has lived with a darn good affordable health care program for over 20 years, I don't quite understand why there is so much push back from the Tea Party Republicans? You realize the US is the only country in the G8 that doesn't have government backed free heath care for all it's citizens. It was laughable when during the election Republicans kept stating the Canadian system was no good and no one liked it, etc, etc.
    What a load of bs that was.

If you need a good example, I go to FL every winter and years ago my wife and I were in a boating accident and had to be airlifted to hospital. The total medical cost (including the ride) was $40,000 and guess what. It was 100% covered by our "lousy" health care system. You Tea Party guys make me laugh.... If you are going to make comparisons you better do your homework first.

September 30, 2013 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  16. just asking

looks like democrats and obama care more about shoving obamacare down our throats a second time no matter what the costs. at least delay the train wreck and let the american people decide in 2014. the more that is known about obamacare the less people want it. that is what the democrats are afraid of. truth is not their friend.

September 30, 2013 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  17. just saying

after 5 years in office, obama has not gotten the memo that he was not elected dictator. his job is to lead people to a compromise solution that they all have a stake in. he failed, actually refused, to do that when they passed obamacare on a strict party vote. now he fails to lead yet again. obama is just a failed leader and we are paying the price for having a partisan leftist political hack in the white house instead of a true leader.

September 30, 2013 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  18. Republicans Shutting down government

Republicans in the house should get out of the way for the government to run. They should stop thinking about shutting down the government just because they don't like the Affordable Health Care Act. Republicans are hurting the American people and I can't wait until next house elections.

September 30, 2013 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  19. Searcher

It sounds like some Republicans are getting tired of catering to the CRAZY CAUCUS of the GOP Party...

September 30, 2013 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  20. Don

Why do I have the feeling that, if this vote is close but the Nos (i.e. the Democrats & moderate Republicans) are ahead, the Speaker will delay closing the vote for who knows how long in a desperate attempt to "convince" some of the "turncoats" to change their votes to Yes?

September 30, 2013 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  21. msindependent

Obama to Americans: "Put up or SHUT UP", regarding ObamaCare.

September 30, 2013 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  22. just saying

how could any rich person possibly be a democrat? you're own political party calling you greedy, evil, saying you steal from people, hate the poor, want to see people die, etc. maybe all of them have finally woken up and smelled the radical leftist party the democrats have become? maybe they have stopped contributing to such divisive madness? one can only hope.

September 30, 2013 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  23. Lynda/Minnesota

@tom l

Sigh ... this is a political blog section. Not a he said / she said gripe section. Well ... it was a political blog section until the TeaParty came along. Try to articulate what you agree or disagree with on policy ... not on who said what against whom. Fair is Fair throws "general" taunts as much as I. Sniffit throws "general" taunts as much as just saying. Donna just taunts period. No one person has a clean slate, except maybe Data and Rudy. You single out one side. And while you continue to state I do my fair share, I would like to remind you that I very rarely initiate the personal back and forth attacks. When goaded ... yes, I do respond. This is why I'm no longer interested in playing the game. I am not a backstabber by nature nor do I ever intend to become one. I've praised Fair when I've agreed with her. I've given Donna due when I've agreed with her. I can't ever remember directing personal insults at either of them, although they have both given me some rather snarky comments that I generally laugh off. To be honest, I've learned a great deal from Sniffit, Rudy, Fair is Fair, Tom Paine, and a few others who are more adept at debate than am I. This is what I liked about the ticker. Not so much anymore, though. It's become too shallow and vindictive.

September 30, 2013 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  24. Sniffit

"at least delay the train wreck and let the american people decide in 2014."

They decided in 2012. It was a centerpiece of both campaigns. You keep moving the goal posts and wanting a "do over." Tough. You're not going to get one. Now, open your throat....we're done playing games.

September 30, 2013 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  25. Angelia Garrison

I'm not a Democrate or a Republican. Everyone deserves to be allowed access to health care. Surely everyone agrees on that! It has taken 100 years to get as far as we have with insurance and now republicans want to kick the can down the road again. They've had plenty of time to work out the kinks but haven't done anything. I see who insurance companies have in their back pockets- republicans. I see a revolution brewing in the USA.

September 30, 2013 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |