September 30th, 2013
1 year ago

Live: Federal government shutdown begins

– The U.S. government shutdown went into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET Tuesday after lawmakers in the House and the Senate could not agree on a spending bill to fund the government.
- See how shutdown could affect you; and see what will be closed; what will be open.
- Senate on Tuesday morning rejected another GOP measure that would have altered Obamacare, and a House GOP request to negotiate differences.
- President Barack Obama: Shutdown is the "height of irresponsibility." | Transcript
- Congress managed to pass a bill that would allow members of the military to continue receiving pay during shutdown.
- Updates below; also, check out our full story.

Filed under: Congress
  1. guest

Let them go without pay and they would have a balanced budget in no time flat. But because does not effect them its all alot of postering. We are the ones that will hurt from not getting a pay check. We live paycheck to paycheck and this is something we cannot afford. Let them go without pay!!! Balance the budget and lets get this country moving again.

September 30, 2013 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  2. Shot in the Foot

GOP..might as welll get those guns out and shoot your selves in the foot for real because at midnight you will already have.

September 30, 2013 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  3. Randy

Thanks, Elliott- know that took guts.

September 30, 2013 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  4. Kevin T.

Though it's difficult to admit, the situation is not a fault of either party, as much as their inability to work side-by-side. Since the two parties are unable to work together to negotiate a budget, let's make a financial projection of the losses that the U.S. economy will take from this shutdown, cut it in half, and send a bill to each party – payable in full!!!
    These very intelligent folks have to put aside their differences in favor of the American people, as stated in their oaths of office. If they cannot do that, we need to hold them accountable for the impending losses they will cause. Pointing fingers is not a form of mitigation...

September 30, 2013 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  5. Steve Hamilton

Big_D: To your point about medical costs: The nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation has just reported that, for the first time in 20 years, the annual rate of increase in Medical costs is coming down about 1/3 and the ACA is a major contributor to the decrease.

September 30, 2013 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  6. Julie Labrouste

The U.S. government, especially the republican and tea parties, are doing an excellent job of enraging more and more Americans at every conceivable opportunity; it's almost as if they're actually trying to start a revolution or civil war.

September 30, 2013 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  7. teabags falling off the fiscal cliff

this will be painful for the country, but it is overdue.

with the GOP about to commit seppuku, I hope they have a second, ready to lop off their head as an act of mercy.

then we can bury the past of this backward party and get on with the business of the country.

September 30, 2013 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  8. Andy Pollock

Republicans should hang their heads in shame. If there was ever proof needed that GOP members are only in it to look after their own interest, this is it.

September 30, 2013 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  9. Farmers Daughter

Just makes me ashamed. I have voted every year since I was 18 years old. I never really voted for a party..just who I thought made the most since and would do the best for everyone. For the first time, I did not vote at the last election. I guess because through the years we have seen a lot of things (which some made no since. Well probably money.. and it became politics instead of American people. I really could not make sense of most of it. I have always been so proud of our country. Now I am really not sure. If anybody needs a furlough, I believe it should be CAPITOL HILL. As all of these hard working people go home without paychecks it is the babies on the HILL that are still getting paid. It just make me sick. I have a 2 year old grandaughter. I can only hope for the best for her. Good luck everyone.

September 30, 2013 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  10. Michael giersch

I am a government employee who doesn't get a pay check starting tomorrow. I have a family to support, this is crazy. I am tired of elected officials playing games with my life. I will not vote for anyone currently setting in office, regardless of party. Everyone I know feels the same way. They should all forfeit their pay as well. This sucks!

September 30, 2013 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  11. Anonymous

why pay them for not doing what we elected them to do. it is time for congress with there miniscule ratings to put on their big boy pants and quit acting like little brats and do the job they were elected to do. take away their pay and watch how fast things get done.

September 30, 2013 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  12. Brian Grren

“...the healthcare law is the most insidious law known to man” – Republican Rep. Todd Rokita Really?

September 30, 2013 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  13. Woman In California

And meanwhile, Boehner and his evil misfits are resting comfortably in their ignorant beds-dreaming about how they "stuck it to this Muslim president". Who cares if it hurts millions of others? Right?

September 30, 2013 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  14. Name Rose

If USA isn't able to come to a resolution with their own affairs how can the USA turn to tske care of any Foreign Affairs. Lets focus on USA affairs in a fashionable manner after all everyone holding office is there because they apperently know what they are doing other wise step aside and let someone else step in that does. This makes the USA look so stupid.

October 1, 2013 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  15. papatroll

Obama and Reid should be ashamed along with most of the posters here, they refese to compromise on a law that Obama has illegally changed numerous times already and granted exemption for themselves...and you blame republicans for standing up for the majority of America??? sad sad sad

October 1, 2013 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  16. weedouthate

Come Senators and Congressmen, please head the call, don't stand in the doorway don't lock up the halls, there is a GROUNDSWELL outside raging, that will soon shake your windows and vibrate your walls. Traditional rhetoric is no longer working. Let's weed out the hate and sow the seeds of peace. For the times they are a changing

October 1, 2013 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  17. Pamela Francis

Reid is Wrong!! if this law which has been changed several times is so good you get it ... put your money where your mouth is and take it on yourself. ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

October 1, 2013 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  18. papatroll

Obama and Reid should be ashamed... they have publically refused to compromise on a law that wascreated in secret with no republican input passed by threat, bribe and extortion, that has illegally been altered by Obama numerous times granted illegal subsidies and exclusions, a law that the majority of America wants repealed and everyones blaming the GOP who for once are standing with the people??? sad sad sad

October 1, 2013 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  19. Tomo

Those silly moderate, resposible, republicas don't realice that the new(old) GOP mantra is still separate but not equal.

October 1, 2013 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  20. Name

Disgusted with these selfish Republicans!

October 1, 2013 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  21. Pamela Francis

Obama and Reid should be ashamed along with the other delusional political pawns in the senate, who refused to compromise on a law that Obama has illegally changed numerous times and granted exemption for themselves and their cronies...THEN you blame republicans for standing up for what the majority of America's want??? You are a sad lot.

October 1, 2013 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  22. Sri

Republicans went to presidential elections with this issue and lost. Not sure why they can't get it over and move on. They are going to lose next elections very bad. Not at all mainstream!!!!!!!!!!!

October 1, 2013 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  23. Small town girl

I don't profess to understand all of what goes on in DC, but I'm not stupid not by a long shot. This health care plan might be okay for some, but in no way should it be forced on the American pubic. I have breast cancer and have Medicare. I can not even afford to pay the 20 % of the bills Medicare doesn't cover. I have two daughters and I am losing my home. I swallowed my pride, applied for government programs that was supposed to save my home, only to be turned down. I've applied to cancer charities, to be told they only help with gas or rides to treatments. I even wrote to our great president with no response. Does this surprise me, absolutely not. This health plan is to place money in congress, senate, insurance companies pockets at the expense of the American people. The rich get richer and the poor fade away.

October 1, 2013 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  24. Julie

Stupid, short-sighted Congress. If I failed in my job like they failed in theirs, I would expect to be fired. They should expect to be voted out.

October 1, 2013 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  25. rs

Like the person who leaps from one of the Bay Bridge towers in a suicide attempt, the GOP is saying: "its all good right now".
    Trust me, GOP it starts getting worse tomorrow.

October 1, 2013 12:16 am at 12:16 am |