– The U.S. government shutdown went into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET Tuesday after lawmakers in the House and the Senate could not agree on a spending bill to fund the government.
– See how shutdown could affect you; and see what will be closed; what will be open.
– Senate on Tuesday morning rejected another GOP measure that would have altered Obamacare, and a House GOP request to negotiate differences.
– President Barack Obama: Shutdown is the "height of irresponsibility." | Transcript
– Congress managed to pass a bill that would allow members of the military to continue receiving pay during shutdown.
– Updates below; also, check out our full story.