September 30th, 2013
7 months ago

Live: Federal government shutdown begins

– The U.S. government shutdown went into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET Tuesday after lawmakers in the House and the Senate could not agree on a spending bill to fund the government.
– See how shutdown could affect you; and see what will be closed; what will be open.
– Senate on Tuesday morning rejected another GOP measure that would have altered Obamacare, and a House GOP request to negotiate differences.
– President Barack Obama: Shutdown is the "height of irresponsibility." | Transcript
– Congress managed to pass a bill that would allow members of the military to continue receiving pay during shutdown.
– Updates below; also, check out our full story.

Filed under: Congress
  1. Sniffit

""The GOP has never passed a budget that had "what the president wants" in it. NEVER."

- This one took me several minutes to stop laughing! The defense of Obama has really devolved here."

What, precisely, is funny or devolved about a simple factual statement rebutting a ridiculous claim made by someone who could barely manage the grammar in their post? The dude claimed Obama even refused budgets from the GOP that had what he wanted in them, which is blatantly and provably false. In fact, considering Obama's offers to do things like use chained CPI for SS and/or Medicare adjustments, the better argument is exactly the opposite: the GOP can't take yes for an answer. And they can't...they've radicalized their base too much and now have to fear a primary over anything that even remotely looks like compromise or allowing Obama to get what he wants.

October 1, 2013 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  2. CA Independent

sly

Affordable Health Care is the law of the land.
    Education is still public.
    Roe v. Wade legalized abortion.
    Bill Clinton was not removed from office via impeachment.
    Barack Obama beat John McCain and Mitt Romney to become President.
    WWII ended in 1945.

Come on Republicans ... wake up and smell the roses. We have work to do in America, so stop trying to undo the past.
    ---

And just what have Democrats done? Obama has already made 19 changes to ACA without congressional approval. He's ignored laws on DOMA, Gun Control, Immigration, Voting Rights, Bailouts. So don't tell me "It's the law" because Obama has little respect for laws he doesn't agree with! The double standard of Obama supporters on this issue is really lacking.

October 1, 2013 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  3. Brian Vaughn

I have reached the point where I am looking to turn in my Moderate Republician card just so I will not be associated with leaders who are so selfish they can't take a defeat and move on at the cost of hurting Americans. You may not like the Afforrdable Healthcare Act, well change what you don't like in a cooperative manner instead of acting like children. Republicaians need to take a page from the Pope. Notice your staunch views are disenfranchising you and focus on other things. The American people realize conservative republicans don't like Obamacare, but you lost that fight. So, stop crying over the loss of the battle otherwise your going to loose the war!

October 1, 2013 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  4. Donna

After 19 changes not approved by Congress, this isn't even Obamacare anymore. It is more like Lipstick-on-a-Pig-Obamacare. Somebody should be bringing this fiasco into court to get it stopped because what is being implement is NOT what the law says.

The Obama and Democrat con game on the American people continues. I say shut it down and keep it shut down until the Democrats and Obama start following the laws they themselves wrote and signed.

October 1, 2013 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  5. Franz S

In a Statement released today Ayman al-Zawahiri leader of Al Qaeda praised the success of their US Affiliate Al Teabag. He called Al Teabag the most efficient Cell in the terror network. He also pledged to change the slogan "Dead to America" with "Ted for America".

October 1, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  6. don in albuquerque

@CA Independent-And don't tell me that GOTP have strictly adhered to the law either. I can site each and every law you have named ignored by GOTP as well, and more then a few moral issues. Is the shut down the fault of both sides? You bet. But I remember the GOTP being the first "No Compromise" babies after the President had barely sat down at his desk. And I know it pains you and others to say it, but he is President Obama. Keep working though and maybe you can hold him to two terms. Benghaaaazzziiiii!!

October 1, 2013 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  7. Nate Dozier

Never thought I would care about a "Government shutdown"...until I became a Peace Corps applicant days away from getting his invite, SO frustrating!

October 1, 2013 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. serious

Obamacare has <50% approval . Defund it. Oh Wait. Congress has ~10% approval. start with defund@Congress

October 1, 2013 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  9. Data Driven

@CA Independent and Donna,

"19 changes to Obamacare"

Name 3 of them, and we'll discuss.

October 1, 2013 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  10. kayla

stupid is as stupid does

October 1, 2013 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  11. Scary Lefty Alert

The GOP Solution
    The GOP Solution to EVERYTHING!!: Turn all the Old, Sick, Poor, Non-white, Non-christian, and Gay people into slaves. Then whip them until they are Young, Healthy, Rich, White, Christian, and Straight. Or until they are dead. Then turn them into Soylent Green to feed the military.
    ---

The typical leftist lunatic that supports Obama and the Democrats. Got computer privileges at the asylum today?

October 1, 2013 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. Hairy Reed

I got a million dollars...not for you though...all free and clear. I don't care what the GOP does to me ha ha. Republican anarchists.

October 1, 2013 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  13. Sniffit

Hahha...and now the GOP/Teatrolls think they can shift the blame by pretending that funding the government is an a la carte buffet affair in which the only things that end up on the plate are things that both parties like. In other words, they think that, now that they have caused a shutdown, they get pretend to be willing to fund the gov't by passing piecemeal legislation that only allows funding of what they like, but refuses to fund what they don't like, like they are the limiting factor upon which all government funding decisions should be based. Please proceed, GOPers/Teatrolls.

Pssst: It won't work.

October 1, 2013 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  14. Sniffit

Over 2.8M people visited the gov't's health insurance marketplace website today and over 81,000 people called the call center.

October 1, 2013 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. Anonymous

There are criminals in federal prisons that went to work today and got paid. Congress thinks their contribution is more essential than that of federal worker’s. Come to think of it, there are criminals in Congress that went to work today and got paid.

October 1, 2013 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  16. Jeff

Has the public at large been told how much their taxes will go up come next year in support of Obama-care? I read a lot of how this is making insurance for many and at a lower cost and I also read other articles we are ALL in for a big surprise come Jan 2014, too. So what are the facts of this simple new law of 10,516 pages long?

October 1, 2013 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  17. Jack

HURAH, for the Veterans! They did “exactly” what ALL Americans need to do, STORM Washington and take back our government from the pompous so-called “Representatives”, who have absolutely NO IDEA how to run a country!

All 545(+ -) of these incompetent, self-centered, greedy individuals need to be FIRED and thrown out of Washington with NO retirement and NO medical coverage! If any one of these individuals had to do an honest day’s work to feed themselves and their families, they’d all starve to death!

This is Not a Republican or Democratic issue; this is a “Political” issue! These individuals have NO interest in working for the “betterment of Americans” through proper and smart governing, but rather, their interest is simply in “keeping” their job and all the perks that go with it, by working to please BIG BUSINESS and Lobbyists.

They all belong to the “same” country club and Americans are paying the freight! We need to do as they did in the Arab Spring, millions of American need to have a PEACEFUL march on Washington! Not 100 or 10,000, but 10 million Americans, men women and children need to march to the steps of Congress and let their voices be heard!

NOW is the time for American to ACT!

October 1, 2013 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  18. Scott

So our wonderful president with the advice from the senate majority leader to veto threat on 3 bills to fund vets, parks, DC. What kind of leader is that. And this liberal news along with all the republican bashing going on here. Tell me that the senate is not being helpful either. THey are not willing to negotiate at all. They need to stop this mess as well.

October 1, 2013 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  19. Gregory M. Newbold

Here's your lifeline John Boehner -

1.) Ignore the so-called "Hastert Rule" and immediately bring a CLEAN CR bill to the floor of the house for a vote.
    2.) Nancy Pelosi will deliver enough House Democrats [along with the adult Republicans} to pass it and turn the lights back on.
    3) In exchange, the President will use his influence and Democratic arm twisting to give you TWO THINGS

a.) a Comprehensive Immigration Bill that includes e-verify, and "border security" [but not the kind that would allow the GOP to delay/obstruct legal status for undocutmented workers}. This serves the GOPs need to put it's poor latino record behind it for the 2016 Presidential election. At the same time, it allows the Democrats to solve the immigration stalemate

b.) ENHANCEMENTS to the ACA. This is not a euphemism for repealing the ACA but improving it. If you are reasonable and not ideaological in what you propose, the President will allow a vote on it and sign it.

Do these two things and you will greatly improve your performance record John. You will help the image and prospects of the Republican party. While the T-Party will go nuts, you will get credit and the sane members of your party would re-elect you speaker, provided the Republicans can hold the House. If the GOP loses the house, at least you will be remembered as a Speaker that got something accomplished including some elements in both the ACA and immigration reform that "conservatives wanted".

October 1, 2013 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  20. JoeD

My parents had pensions, health insurance and a reverse mortgage to pay their health costs. They both died in nursing homes after losing it all to healthcare costs. THAT is the "good old privately financed care system" the Republicans want to return us to! NO THANK YOU!

October 1, 2013 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  21. Shari Johnson

What a sad day in American History! The men and women we put into office continue to fail us. I do not point my finger at REPUBLICANS, nor will I point my finger at DEMOCRATS. For I was always told that whenever you point your finger at someone you will have three fingers pointing back at you. We are all guilty. We elected these men and women to represent us! Since the Senate and Congress cannot come to resolution and get anything accomplished, why don't they pass these issues on to the American People? Let us vote. Yes, I understand the high cost of elections but it wouldn't be near what we are paying these people that are supposed to be representing us. I am a disabled veteran and I use my benefits to go to school full time and learn skills that will help me in the civilian job market. Under the current conditions, I will lose 100% of my income on the 1st of November. I believe that I deserve my benefits, but if America would be better off by me forfeiting my benefits, I will do so without dispute and I WILL survive. The issue is that 3.6 million Veterans will lose their benefits and NOBODY will be better off. I pray that when it comes election time the American people will not listen to the propaganda but rather vote for the person who represents their needs and positions on the issues.

October 1, 2013 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  22. Justin M.

It is about time the people of the United States take control. Let the People vote on what is right . We must stop being Zombies to Corporate America.

October 1, 2013 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  23. Justin M.

Stop overpaying people who don't do much for the people! Enough is enough, America is going to fall due.... When the Dust is clear, we will all say ........ Is this it?

October 1, 2013 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  24. Kyle James

When you take choice away, you have no democracy. I quit my full time job of 7.75 with no benefits because it was an up hill battle to make ends meet. State,Federal, ss, and medicaid will leave me with only a whopping $450. My bills ru n $720 a month and thats not including the gas i need to get to work, food to feed myself, and pay any rent/utilities i may owe. Now i work at a 9.36 job with benefits and my take home is just barely a little more than what i was taking home. Im driving 2 hours out of my way for this job and falling $100 behind each month. My check has a large deduction of over $200 for health care and large taxes.

October 1, 2013 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  25. Lisa Valdez

I guess all the Republicans who wanted "less government" have finally got their wish. #becarefulwhatyouwishfor #governmentshutdown

October 1, 2013 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |