September 30th, 2013
7 months ago

Live: Federal government shutdown begins

– The U.S. government shutdown went into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET Tuesday after lawmakers in the House and the Senate could not agree on a spending bill to fund the government.
– See how shutdown could affect you; and see what will be closed; what will be open.
– Senate on Tuesday morning rejected another GOP measure that would have altered Obamacare, and a House GOP request to negotiate differences.
– President Barack Obama: Shutdown is the "height of irresponsibility." | Transcript
– Congress managed to pass a bill that would allow members of the military to continue receiving pay during shutdown.
– Updates below; also, check out our full story.

Filed under: Congress
  1. Name jk. Sfl. GOP conservatives,the garbage of America.

All I know is the GOP is done in 2014 midterms and remember the names Cruz Rubio lee and the teahage and quitter Bachmann . Kick the GOP tea trash out of congress for good!!!!!!!

October 1, 2013 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  2. GWP

Enough with these democrat thugs – all of them. Shut em down and their entitlement malignant programs. 800,000 government gravy-train workers out of work – oh well – sorry – the sun will come up tomorrow.

October 1, 2013 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  3. Thinker

I find it funny that some people are claiming that the ACA is a failure. Since it isn't in effect yet, how can you know it isn't working.?

October 1, 2013 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  4. A concerned active duty service member

SHAME on all representatives who had the intestinal fortitude to show up to the WWII memorial today. How dare you insult those veterans by targeting them in your political blame game. At least in the service we are taught values like accepting responsibility. Is that how you America's leaders treat national treasures. At the least an apology and a handshake on behalf of those directly responsible would have been a better choice.

October 1, 2013 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  5. Name carl

SHAME on the Republicans. And the Tea Bagggers...Throw the Gop out in 2014.

October 1, 2013 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  6. Debbie W.

This is ridiculous. The Republicans at least are trying to bring down the national debt. We cannot keep being the land of free entitlements–we cannot afford it. America is too great to keep going down the path of just increase the debt ceiling. Democrats need to start negotiating...shame on all of our elected leaders and it starts with the president. Why can't you negotiate ..you seem to have no problem negotiating with Syria, Iran, and Russia...why not your own country. If Obamacare is good for the normal folk ...why not congress. The house at least tried to negotiate that out of the bill. Get our government back to work and you so called leaders get to work. You have had a year to get this done. During the next election, if it says incumbent the answer is NO! Sick of no action and no compromise –the American people deserve to be led by adults and democracy! Show the world we are better than how we have been behaving over the past few years...

October 1, 2013 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  7. Sharkmann

Cut everything and then re-fund certain things piecemeal, that is the same game they played with the sequester. I am tired of it.

October 1, 2013 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  8. charlie

Goverment shut down doesn't bother me , as it doesn't bother the goverment when we lose jobs !!! Welcome to the real world and enjoy the ride your fellow democrates handed out to you all. Don't worry you now have obama care...

October 1, 2013 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  9. jaece

I'm actually glad that the GOP finally took a stand and stopped caving on everything. Look at the final measure that the Senate rejected: making Congress follow the "law of the land" the same as everyone else. If it's good enough for me, why isn't it good enough for those who represent me? Why should elected officials be above and beyond the rules that everyday Americans have to follow? This was Harry Reid and the Senate Democrats thumbing their noses at the American people and telling us that they are better than us. It's time to stop the political class and let them know that they work for us. Make the President and the Senate negotiate over this and come to a fair solution. One that doesn't continue to hurt the American people they claim to be trying to help.

October 1, 2013 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  10. Kole Smith

I'm am a freshman in high school, and I as well have an opinion on this topic. I do not fully understand what the republicans stand for or what the democrats are for. I had obviously heard about this topic on the news and I desided that I would like to know what is happening in the country I live in. So I watched videos supporting both sides and I think that Obama( clearly siding with the senate) I not lying, but.... more of bending the truth. If he says "I am willing to help( helping the government not shut down)" he is not telling the truth. Although I don't fully agree with the fact that he directly said to the public that he is 'willing' to resolve the issue( of the shutdown). If he meant what he said they wouldn't have shutdown the government. If Obama had been trying to help this issue he would have already found a solution. It's not that I agree with the House of Representatives; it's just they clearly don't want plan to go through, but they had tried to compromise with the situation they were in. The HoR had tried to comprimise the senate has done NOTHING but said they are unwilling to comprimise. Obama is 'delaying'( totally stopping) checks that vetrians rely on. Now I don't know about you, but I don't think I would want to make some of these citizens angry; this wouldn't really very well. This also brings me to the more serious things. Now I don't know about you but I know if I'm working I want to get payed, so I was wondering about how the boarder patrol/guards will think about their checks being delayed (stopped totally)? I'm just as worried as the next guy, so I am wondering if they will continue without pay. If not are South Americans will go into the United States?

October 1, 2013 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  11. Anthony in California

@serious
    Obamacare has <50% approval . Defund it. Oh Wait. Congress has ~10% approval. start with defund@Congress

Gun Control has a 90% approval. I'd be willing to shut the Government down for THAT.
    (fixed error in previous comment)

October 1, 2013 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  12. Donna

Data Driven

@CA Independent and Donna,
    "19 changes to Obamacare"
    Name 3 of them, and we'll discuss.
    -–

Well, here are 5 of them to start. Explain Obama's unwillingness or inability to follow the law as written.

1. Delay of Obamacare’s Medicare cuts until after the election.
    2. Delay of Obamacare's employer mandate.
    3. Delay enforcement of a number of key eligibility requirements for the law’s health insurance subsidies.
    4. Delay caps on out-of-pocket insurance costs for one more year.
    5. Long term care (CLASS) program dropped as impractical.

October 1, 2013 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  13. Dale

You know, I got my notice today as well for furlough due to government shut down. As I signed it I was very angry, then I became very sad. there are thousands of children in head start programs, because of poverty, a good portion of these children get their daily nutrition from meals at head start. families count on it, the families I support and work for can not get adequate counseling and health care services because I am not there to. Nurses and doctors rely on me for their patients who see them, I could go on – The tea party is in-humane and working for their districts ( whom some were made in favor for those folks) who support a agenda that is only 15 % or so of this country. I hope this does not last long, time will tell and I hope that they are truly happy and the people in these folks districts should revolt against them. they obviously come from districts with a majority – Money/power etc. they do not support equality in all respects – Minimum wage, to do away with the EPA, they want to privatize Medicare and I say and VA Hospitals and clinics ( so some one can make money off the backs of myself and fellow veterans ) terrible, most probably have never served or fought in a foreign land for this great country. they are hypocrites/say and do anything – like a child not getting their way. DEMOCRATS GO GET THEM. president Obama asked for a measure for the budget that is all, the dems didn't add anything to be voted on.........but they didn't get their way. Mr. Cruz- your disgusting and I think your career path will be answered in an election . go back to gambling your wifes Goldman Sachs pay check pretty boy puppet. you fly in on Mondays and you fly out on Fridays, 4 days of work in Washington, I think we as tax payers should get your salary.

October 1, 2013 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  14. The Ham

I read these posts and it makes me sad...

One side or the other... when both sides are so bad...

A democrat and a republican are the same thing... some different ideas but the exact same thing...

The two party system is pathetic...

Yet so many don't even see it... Their fault, not thier fault, you suck, no you suck...

Like kids...

October 1, 2013 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  15. Interesting, the sky did not fall as the Democrats foretold

President Barack Obama: Shutdown is the "height of irresponsibility."

No, the "height of irresponsibility" is creating a multi-trillion dollar new government healthcare entitlement program while the country is struggling to come back from a major recession and while the country is piling huge debt on our kids and grand kids already.

No, the "height of irresponsibility" is pretending to "reform" our healthcare system, lower costs, tell us we can keep our doctors and current healthcare when all of them are total lies.

No, the "height of irresponsibility" is jamming it down the throats of the American people that didn't ask for it or want it.

No, the "height of irresponsibility" is passing and signing a 2,400 page bill that spawned over 20,000 pages of new rules and regulations that nobody can understand and which motivates employers to cut jobs and hours for employees.

President Obama and the Democrats are the "height of irresponsibility" for all of these reasons and many more. They don't care about all of the damage they are doing and will do to people and their families with this albatross of a law. They just want to bludgeon the country into submission and a single payer government owned and run healthcare system.

October 1, 2013 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  16. Mopery

Throw out the entirety of Congress, enact a 2-term limit for any elected office, and get rid of the single biggest threat to the United States of America in the 21st century: Career Politicians.

October 1, 2013 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  17. Thomas

@Nate Dozier
    Never thought I would care about a "Government shutdown"...until I became a Peace Corps applicant days away from getting his invite, SO frustrating!
    ====

The Peace Corps was started by President JFK , I'm sure the GOP would love nothing more then defunding it permanently , along with PBS , the UN , and anything regarding the Art's and education .

Nate , send Ted Cruz a copy of your invite along with a photo so he can put it up on his wall of shame .

October 1, 2013 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  18. Name

We need to elect jesse ventura for president.

October 1, 2013 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  19. Edddie Fonseca

Nate Dogg who wrote the song Head of State for the movie Head of State, it was simple man who had a dream to better time's for all American's with better health care and government who wanted to improve the lives for the middle class and everyone in America. When we elected Barrack Obama to be the Head of State he wanted to insure the working class like you and me that we had health insurance and a job which could pay for a house so our children did not have to sleep on the cold streets at night. When we think about the GOP that has ruined this country with their stupid view points that all American's could afford health care, and the rich did not have to pay their fair share of taxes did you think that's right? So as American's we should be angry at the GOP who have held our country hostage with their stupid childish viewpoints, as American's we say in one voice we want our government and our paychecks back to normal. When will we wake up as nation and say do we want a better future for our children that includes universal health care and stable jobs for them, or do we want a future for our children which was bleak as the day's of depression during World War 2 for years to come.

October 1, 2013 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  20. Linda

I would like to see AC 360 keep them honest. What large companies received TARP money and donated to the Tea Party. If we can not control the donations to the Tea Party, we still have the ability to contact board members of these large companies. I would like to have a list of contributors so we could express our thoughts about their political affiliations with the Tea Party. This might be the fastest way to end the government shutdown.

October 1, 2013 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  21. Ray

There is no honor in the United States Congress. We should start over with true Patriots who are willing to compromise to move the country forward.

October 1, 2013 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  22. Rhonda Johnson

Obomacare Has to END. It should never been able to clear the Supreme Court. It isn't only about health care like Oboma and his buddies want you to think. It is full of things that are completely unconstitutional and should never have passed as a bill, a law, or anything. The only thing it could pass for in the Congress of our For Fathers would have been toilet paper. It has been a long time since our Representatives and Senators actually represented us and now that a stand is being taken you want to blame them for this. The federal government shutdown was 100% Oboma's doing. He will not let anything pass unless it allows for his baby Obomacare, which in it those of us American's that choose not to take it will be penalized for it that's not legal either.

October 1, 2013 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  23. Dw

This is insane. Move the appropriations thru with ACA included. Pass the debt ceiling. Then sit down like the highly educated, highly paid Men and Women you are and work out the differences. It is the most insane process to keep driving the country to the edge of the cliff on every single issue, to end up with the same result each time. And by the way, you do not have to take the government salary if you really don't want to.

October 1, 2013 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  24. George A Kraus

at this point being a democratic or Republican doesn't really matter anymore. This whole thing is so completely discouraging and pathetically sad. I saw an interview with the house speaker that seemed so calculated and malicious. We've heard it said over and over again over the years but NOW it IS time to get rid of EVERYONE in Congress...EVERYONE! Voters can make a change to start fresh. How much worse could it be than who's there now?? WE HAVE TO IT THIS TIME!!

October 1, 2013 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  25. Jim

Federal, city, state and county employees will not feel this, but the sector will, the gov. workers including the congress will get theirs, they will get their checks and BENEFITS. They will get their presc. drugs and doctor visits covered, but the you and I will not, Remember NEWT. He shut the gov. down for four days. The GOP is Republican first and American second.

October 2, 2013 12:15 am at 12:15 am |