September 30th, 2013
1 year ago

Live: Federal government shutdown begins

– The U.S. government shutdown went into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET Tuesday after lawmakers in the House and the Senate could not agree on a spending bill to fund the government.
- See how shutdown could affect you; and see what will be closed; what will be open.
- Senate on Tuesday morning rejected another GOP measure that would have altered Obamacare, and a House GOP request to negotiate differences.
- President Barack Obama: Shutdown is the "height of irresponsibility." | Transcript
- Congress managed to pass a bill that would allow members of the military to continue receiving pay during shutdown.
- Updates below; also, check out our full story.

Filed under: Congress
  1. hitman

Someone needs to call Putin so he can fix this mess!

September 30, 2013 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

-just asking

rick7809
    "Who cares if the government shuts down? Not me. Then again I'm not a government dependent."
    I am not a government dependent either, but I know I already lost several thousand dollars of my 401k due to a market drop caused by this hysteria. Make no question about it, both parties have a hand in this issue, but it is the Tea Party Rethuglicans that will bear the brunt of the blame. Anyone who does not understand that governing involves compromise should not be there.
    -–

too bad about the 401k. you should have moved the money to a market fund when this was going to happen. yoiu need to watch and manage your investments more closely. but don't worry, the market is due for a major correction as the fed pumps $80 billion a month into the economy and most of it ends up driving stock prices higher. the gravy train there must end sooner or later. be prepared.

and on compromise... where have the democrats and obama compromised? nowhere. obama can not dictate. he is supposed to be a leader, but he is not. he's a partisan political hack. he never learned how to be a leader.
    ***********************
    You can't compromise with people who won't talk. You keep ranting about being Obama being a dictator, but its the GOP that holds this country hostage to their discredited ideas.

September 30, 2013 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  3. $$$$

Democrats had better be careful. They cried wolf and said the sky is falling prior to the sequester taking effect. Now people say"what sequester?"
    Same thing with a government shutdown. Federal employees will get a few days or weeks off but will probably be paid for it anyway so it is basically extra vacation time for them.
    It is funny to watch liberals freak out over a potential shutdown. The sad part is that they think that their life can't go on without the government.

September 30, 2013 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. BlackMe

Dear RS. you arrogant in chief talks with terrorist leaders but refusing to meet even once with House Republicans and you call them a mess? your President has no clue and this liberal media just licks hisass no matter what he does. he can do no wrong, right? What, no teleprompter available today?

September 30, 2013 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. fonzie

Who cares what Obama has to say.

September 30, 2013 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. SickoftheGOP

Thank you GOP for screwing up my retirement – again......

You are just plain bad for America.

September 30, 2013 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  7. BO

Watch Obama whine and blame and blame and whine.

September 30, 2013 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

tom l
    @DMFO,

Congrats on reaching new lows today. So you're telling me that there is a faction of repubs that don't want to pass a funding bill so that President Obama will not have secret service protection. Wow. Impressive. The fact that you actually thought that says it all. Beyond nonsense. And to think that you are an intelligent, educated woman. What a vile and disgusting thought.
    -------–

Tom. I've been at these blogs for a little over 5 years now. I've read it all. But I have to tell you, when it comes to vile and disgusting, the GOP takes the prize hands down. You are an instigator. I raised one daughter who would continually try and pit herself against her two sisters. Thankfully, she got beyond the childishness and has become a remarkable women in her own right. I hope at some time in the future, you'll understand and heed my comment. For your own betterment. Not mine, or DM4O.

As it is, one of the reasons I've decided to stop blogging politics is because of those such as yourself. While you pretend to not favor one side over the other, you are in your glee when pitting one side against the other. As an adult, I find this totally unacceptable and not worth the bother of listening to day after day.

I bid you and everyone else here on the ticker at good day.

September 30, 2013 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  9. Heckerp

The Obama dictatorship absolutely will not negotiate. 57% of Americans want nothing to do with Obamacare so the Republicans are doing their job in behalf of the majority if Americans. All the Senate and Obama had to do was sign the Obamacare delay agreement and the shutdown would have been avoided. As an employer I can say for sure that Obamacare will negatively affect my employees as well as this country. Shame on the dictator as well as his blind supporters.

September 30, 2013 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  10. Mary

I'm so tired of this crap in DC. Over and over again, year after year. And I blame both sides! I truly believe that every single Congressman and woman and every single Senator from every single State should be Recalled and BRAND NEW PEOPLE put in place. Maybe if these people realized how serious States were on this issue, maybe they'd actually go "Aught Oh", AND DO SOMETHING LIKE GROWN ADULTS!!!

September 30, 2013 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  11. usual suspects

This is wonderful. When the republicans allow the country to go bankrupt, it will be the last anyone will ever hear from them. The end of the Conservative movement in the U.S. What a laughing stock they are.

September 30, 2013 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  12. Sniffit

"Says the guy who refers to the other side as "teatrolls""

Yawn. I don't make namecalling personal. Generalized pet names for the other party/team are fair game. There is a difference. We've had to tolerate being called leftists, socialists, Maoists, communists, etc. all day long for 5 years now...by people actually in positions of power who claim to be "leaders" no less. If you can't take "teatrolls" as a reference to Tea Partiers who troll comment boards, then I'm sorry you're so delicate.

September 30, 2013 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  13. jeff

It is not Congresses fault, It is not the Senates fault, It is not the Presidents fault.

IT IS ALL THERE FAULT!!!!

September 30, 2013 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. disqus_m4RzRjSnrs

Perhaps the Russian and the Iranian gave him some intelligent words to use. Bombo sure does not have any.

September 30, 2013 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  15. Sniffit

"Clearly you couldn't tell that I was trying to make a joke for all of you liberals on the left who can't see straight. I know the rules. I just find it ironic that the House has passed a bill that won't even be allowed to be voted on by the Senate yet all of you on the left think your side is acting rationally"

Ummm...and that's where you're wrong. THEY DID VOTE ON IT. It was shot down in the Senate 54-46. There's no obstruction on the Senate side. They voted on what the House handed them and it did not pass. Moreover, the "clean" bill came from following the procedures, voting on what the House produced, amending it to remove the "dirty" parts (i.e., the attacks on the ACA) and then passing the amended version. What don't you get about this? The Senate DID vote on what the House passed. It followed all procedures regarding what the House passed. The House GOP/Teatrolls are now refusing to vote on what the Senate passed. There is no "both sides are doing it" here.

September 30, 2013 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  16. GOP - Stuck On Stupid - SOS

I think you are doing the ritght thing Mr. President. Healthcare has nothing whatsoever to do with the government functioning. Republicans are just plain stupid to the core.

September 30, 2013 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  17. LiberalandProud

MITT loss. Get over it!!

September 30, 2013 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  18. Failure again

That is funny that ama cut off White house btoiurs, yet he spent millions in taxpayer dollars for his vacations this year. Wait until tomorrow and people will still not be able to afford health care or they will choose not to pay for it! He makes me want to puke. He doesn't give a darn about Americans!

September 30, 2013 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  19. $$$$

You would think by now all of those college graduates who still can't find a job would figure out that Obamanomics is not working in their favor. Their parents would probably like to get them out of their basement. Obamacare is not helping the situation but rather it is going to make new hiring and future economic expansion more problematic.

September 30, 2013 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  20. Andrew Weber

My fellow americans please listen to me. The tea party are not your
    friends. the tea party are not americans. The tea party are not
    patriots. They are essentially domestic terrorists willing to harm and
    sabotage their own families, friends, and neighbors. Willing to hold a
    fragile economic recovery hostage. willing to disregard the results of a
    recent democratic presidential election. This tea party is one the
    greatest threats to ever, EVER face our great nation. these people want
    to bring this country to its knees because they do not want to work with
    a black president. it is repulsive. It is disgusting. it is pathetic.
    don't be fooled. They do not care about you, only your money. These
    folks need to be stopped.

September 30, 2013 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  21. battkatt

When the government makes it's big decision to shut down , MY family will be the one that doesn't get paid. MY bills will be late, I will have to explained numerous times why I can't pay. All the while ..... Every person in congress..... Every person in the senate ..... And the White House will be getting paid!
    I think I have had enough of the lip service about how "you" care about me and my family, I'm going to say to you what I have said to my children. Compromise!! Work together !!! Share your stuff, and above all else treat people with respect, and frankly my government has let me down.
    I have worked hard and now we have not only been furloughed once this year, but we have a government that can't work together.
    It's a shame and I'm sick of this. It is truly pathetic !

September 30, 2013 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  22. Michael

I wish that members of the house and senate would only receive a salary if they pass a budget. I wish there was a grass roots effort to do this. They certainly would buckle if it hit their pocket books.

September 30, 2013 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  23. JeffinDC

GOP is holding our country hostage!

September 30, 2013 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  24. just bob

Child: Can I have a cookie?
    Mom: No
    Child: Can I have a cookie?
    Mom: No
    (40 times later)
    Child: Can I have a cookie?
    Mom: No
    Child; Then I'm going to hold my breath until I get one.

September 30, 2013 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  25. Keep Fear ALive

Doesn't this president know that only WHITE Presidents get CLEAN Debt cieling increase ... and once Hillary gets in, she will too, Only Black presidents get this kind of treatment ... South Carolina state Rep. Kris Crawford said and I quote " It's GOOD Politics to oppose the Black man in the White House ...

September 30, 2013 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |