CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?
October 1st, 2013
11 months ago

CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?

Less than one in five Americans say their families will be better off under the new health care law, according to a new poll.

But a CNN/ORC International survey released Tuesday morning also indicates a majority say the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, will help some people, with 37% saying the law, which is gradually starting to kick in, won't help anyone.

According to the poll, four in 10 say the new law will make their families worse off, while 41% believe it will have no effect.

Seventeen percent think the measure will be a good thing for themselves or their families.

The poll's release comes on the same day as a key element of the health care law takes effect, as Americans without insurance can begin enrolling in state insurance exchanges.

And it comes hours after the shutdown of the federal government courtesy of a bitter partisan battle over the new health care law.

According to the poll, 36% say they won't benefit from the new law but other families will. If you add to that the 17% who believe Obamacare will help them personally, the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it. Some 37% say no one in the country will benefit from the measure.

As the exchanges open for business, 52% say the health insurance system created by Obamacare is a disaster waiting to happen, with 45% saying the system will eventually work.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International September 27-29, with 803 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

With most components of the health care law not taking effect until 2014, many Americans still don't have a full grasp of Obamacare, and a couple of surveys from other organizations conducted in September indicated that only a minority said they knew a lot about the law.

– CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: CNN/ORC poll • Congress • Government Shutdown • Polls
  1. sunshinelizard

You don't pay cash out of pocket, you go to your state exchange website and choose an insurance company that is offering Obamacare and then you have insurance just like anyone else. You will need to pay premiums though, but you don't pay for medical care out of pocket – get your facts straight.

October 1, 2013 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  2. Salvia

The scaremongering is actually laughable...as far as people losing jobs because of it..does anyone realize that if companies start downgrading hours then the onus is on them.. There are so many companies that already do this in order to get out of paying benefits..the larger the pool the cheaper the premium so maybe even these organizations will be forced to give their employees one of the most important benefits of living in a civilized society.

October 1, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  3. You're Doing It Wrong

I have no idea what planet the people weeping about their lost freedoms is from, but I'm over the moon for the fact that the premiums from the SAME INSURER that I had previously just dropped almost $300 and I'm getting BETTER COVERAGE.

If this is what oppression is, then I hope there's more where that came from. This is going to help a lot more than just a minority of people. If you're responsible for paying your own medical insurance, you'll be paying less in most places. If your job pays for it, they should see a savings too.

October 1, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  4. Malory Archer

Tom

The ones applauding Obabacare are the ones that will benefit from it at the expense of those who already have health care

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Actually, I already have medical coverage, but my 27 y/o daughter with a preexisting condition (born with a diaphramatic hernia that was corrected at birth) can get medical coverage whereas she didn't qualify at any cost after she aged out of her dad's plan.

October 1, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  5. Fools Paradise

I went to my doctor for a sprained knee. He sent me for an xray. I received SIX different bills in the mail for the various procedures - you call this "better"? More efficient? Get out of Disneyland and back into reality.

October 1, 2013 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  6. astra81

Has anyone estimated their costs using the Kaiser calculator? I have and it's an outrage to see the estimation of what my costs will be. $5800 premium for 'Silver' (second to lowest tier) and $12,700 out of pocket cost, EXCLUDING the premium. This is for two adults in their early 30s, no children. Self insured on BCBS was $7900/year, including premium and deductible for an excellent plan with top tier coverage. How is the ACA sustainable for anyone who will not receive a subsidy? It isn't and I truly hope that the outcry and backlash is loud and swift to dismantle this abomination that has been forced upon citizens who want nothing to do with it.

October 1, 2013 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  7. GOP =Greed Over People

J, of course, you have to pay for your premiums, I thought that was obvious and is not in any of my comments. If you are single and make less than 44K per year you get immediate tax credits to help pay for the premium, make more than that and you you pay full premium sans subsidy.

However, even the unsubsidized rate for me in GA was 560ish down from 800ish when shopping on the old private market for insurance with similar benefits to an employer group policy/benefits.

October 1, 2013 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  8. paul

I'm certain Obamacare will allow insurance companies to create a higher baseline cost. I have insurance and now I'm seeing my insurance being quoted $200-300 more. What is meant by Affordable Healthcare?? Looks like citizens are being taxed to pay off the deficit created by big banks.

October 1, 2013 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  9. trueblue

@ anyone who can't afford health care, so its better for all of us to pick-up your tab at the ER, because you don't have the money to pay for it. what Obama-care preventing that type of Freebie. I think it's better for say 1.5 million per state to pay 400 dollars a year for not having, than the tax payers picking up the cost of that 1.5 with no health care going to ER. you do the math......

October 1, 2013 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  10. GOP =Greed Over People

" I have and it's an outrage to see the estimation of what my costs will be. $5800 premium for 'Silver' (second to lowest tier) and $12,700 out of pocket cost, EXCLUDING the premium."

So, keep your current insurance with BCBS if it was "top tier coverage" if you have insurance your prefer stay with it! You will covered and that carries no penalty.

What exactly is your point???

October 1, 2013 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  11. Kierra

@ Mike
    Well that and alot of 20 year old college guys will now be covered with maternity and mental health insurance.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, what a waste! It's not like one's late teens/early 20s are a prime time for serious mental illnesses like major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia to suddenly appear in previously perfectly healthy individuals. Also, 20-year-old college guys were covered under their parent's insurance anyway even before the ACA, since full-time students were always allowed to do that.

October 1, 2013 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  12. Dee

I am tired of paying taxes for people who can work but won't. I don't want to subsidize other people's health care. And I don't want anyone subsidizing mine. I will get what I need on my own. I don't want to "owe" or be reliant on the government for anything.

October 1, 2013 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  13. GOP =Greed Over People

"even before the ACA, since full-time students were always allowed to do that'

Uh, most of us are out of college by 22...NOT 26.

October 1, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  14. GOP =Greed Over People

P.S. There is no maternity coverage for single men provided under Obamacare(s).

October 1, 2013 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. Keith ..... in Oregon

There are winners and losers in this if you consider financial impact. Even those of us who now have insurance as part of our compensation will eventually lose that. This government wants to eventually drive all employers to choose to drop their provided coverage. The ultimate goal is a complete takeover of the health care industry by our benevolent king.

There are only losers when we consider the loss of freedom. Government has no business mandating the purchase of any product.

October 1, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  16. Malory Archer

paul

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In what state do you reside? I'm going to go out on a limb and predict it's a red state.

October 1, 2013 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

The only people Obamacare won't help, one way or another, are dead people.

October 1, 2013 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  18. ObjectiveGuy

The American public clearly DOES NOT WANT OBAMACARE. We are bright enough to see that it is nothing more than yet another blatant attempt at the Obama administration and Democrats to buy the votes of low or no income voters, at the expense of the rest of the population. Yes, the entire healthcare system is in need of an overhaul, starting with caps on malpractice suits, which have driven the price of healthcare up more than any other single factor. Yes, insurance portability is an issue that needs to be addressed. Yes, costs need to be addressed. However, despite its faults, it still provides the highest level of healthcare in the world. Personally, I am not willing to give up this high level of healthcare for my family and myself, so that a bunch of illegal immigrants can be covered. We need to fix or expand something like MedicAid to cover those who are not covered, since many are not covered by their own choice. There should be an option for those who cannot afford or get coverage, but not at the cost of the diminishing the level and quality of care that the vast majority of Americans currently enjoy. It would be a mistake to throw out the baby with the bathwater, and marginalize healthcare for all because of the relatively small percentage of the population that is not covered. Typical lame Democrat thought process, and the majority of Americans are NOT in favor of it.

October 1, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  19. Malory Archer

Fools Paradise

I went to my doctor for a sprained knee. He sent me for an xray. I received SIX different bills in the mail for the various procedures – you call this "better"? More efficient? Get out of Disneyland and back into reality.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, except ACA just went into effect today, so you really can't blame "Obamacare" for that.

October 1, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  20. Keith

My concern is, why are we being force to this type of plan and the federal govt are exempt from it ? So you telling me you want me to get this coverage but you will continue to get a better coverage than what you are offering. Obama stated, I want all Americans to have the same coverages as us federal govt employees. WRONG !!!!! LIED !!!!!!

October 1, 2013 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  21. Rudy NYC

Fools Paradise wrote:

------------------–
    Besides, getting multiple bills is nothing new. I had surgery a few years ago, 2007. I received bills from the hospital, the anesthesiologist, the doctor who certified me fit for surgery, the specialist who performed the surgery, the specialist that I never heard of before who "assisted" the surgery, another specialist I never heard of who "observed and supervised" the surgery, and even more bills from the hospital for the medications and tests that were performed during the surgery. I recall having close to 16 separate bills from that one hour *out patient* procedure.

I guess that you didn't have any insurance to cover it. The reason I received so many bills is because my insurance company did not want to cover any of it, but they eventually did. All of it except for the guy who "observed and supervised", who's bill was at least twice that of my specialist who actually performed the surgery. Needless to say, I didn't invite him, so I never paid him.

October 1, 2013 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  22. trueblue

Fact: this has nothing to do with people and Health care. MONEY, MONEY MONEY, the Republicans has to put up a good fight to show the CEO's and the rest of the turds they did all they could., not to add the poor folks that put them in office to fight the President. Most of the same tea party disability freeloaders or taking money from the government they hate.

October 1, 2013 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  23. Read for yourself

It has been said that if you want to keep the truth from Americans, put it in a book! And it is the truth. Majority of people that are fearful have not really went to the website and read for themselves. Instead the trust what people say! Did you know they delayed it for Big companies? No of course not. It's because they are already giving their employees health insurance! It's not like their employees don't have insurance. My job gives me insurance already and I have the option to keep what I have or I have the right to look else where. For the ones who say we can't force people to get insurance, I say why not. We force people to get car insurance. By law you must get the bare minimum. Why should that different for YOUR health. Because in the long run, if they don't have insurance, we (the tax payers) are paying for it when they go to the Emergency Room. So you keep yelling about not give people help. We (the tax payers) are doing it now but maybe because you don't hear it enough on the news you don't get it. So hear this. WE (the taxpayers and that includes Republicans, Democrats, Independents, and others) are paying for people who uses the emergency room for a doctor whether we like it or not! Read and investigate for yourself and quick trusting the politicans. I keep hearing them say they have spoken to the American people, well to this date, no one has called and asked me anything. Hell, I have yet to be called regarding a poll. Who do they call anyway and how do they reach them?

October 1, 2013 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  24. Lynda/Minnesota

Tom

--------–

I wasn't going to comment on a poll that serves no useful purpose if only because Obamacare is still in its infancy, but to clarify your comment, I feel the need to clear up the matter ... for me anyway. I am on my husband's gold plan. It is one of the few "perks" he was able to keep when he lost his job of 28 years. It is the only part of his so called pension that wasn't reduced. Up until the 2 years it took for his pension to kick in after he was let go, we WERE paying $1,200 monthly for a much inferior policy. Once his pension was put into effect, we were once again covered by the previous gold policy. Thus, I have no need for Obamacare. Yet, I do feel (very strongly) that just because I am so fortunate doesn't necessarily mean I am selfish enough to stop others from enjoying inexpensive healthcare premiums.

October 1, 2013 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  25. joni

The only people that will benefit from this plan are the same people already living off the backs of working Americans! Why is there a website for this plan in Spanish!? If you are a citizen you should speak the national language, otherwise you are a visitor or tourist and the working Americans should not be paying for your healthcare, groceries or your education.
    As Keith stated above, if it is good enough for those of us who work hard to provide for ourselves and our families, then it is good enough for congress. They want to save money on budget, cut the pay and benefits of congress! Why do they continue to receive benefits after they have completed their terms. Are they getting paid during this "shutdown?"

October 1, 2013 11:20 am at 11:20 am |