CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?
October 1st, 2013
10 months ago

CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?

Less than one in five Americans say their families will be better off under the new health care law, according to a new poll.

But a CNN/ORC International survey released Tuesday morning also indicates a majority say the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, will help some people, with 37% saying the law, which is gradually starting to kick in, won't help anyone.

According to the poll, four in 10 say the new law will make their families worse off, while 41% believe it will have no effect.

Seventeen percent think the measure will be a good thing for themselves or their families.

The poll's release comes on the same day as a key element of the health care law takes effect, as Americans without insurance can begin enrolling in state insurance exchanges.

And it comes hours after the shutdown of the federal government courtesy of a bitter partisan battle over the new health care law.

According to the poll, 36% say they won't benefit from the new law but other families will. If you add to that the 17% who believe Obamacare will help them personally, the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it. Some 37% say no one in the country will benefit from the measure.

As the exchanges open for business, 52% say the health insurance system created by Obamacare is a disaster waiting to happen, with 45% saying the system will eventually work.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International September 27-29, with 803 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

With most components of the health care law not taking effect until 2014, many Americans still don't have a full grasp of Obamacare, and a couple of surveys from other organizations conducted in September indicated that only a minority said they knew a lot about the law.

– CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: CNN/ORC poll • Congress • Government Shutdown • Polls
  1. tim

I have a question, When the President was elected it was to bring JOBS to the country. Yet he pushes other junk. WHERE ARE THE JOBS? If people had some, they could afford the unaffordable care act.
    Open the pipeline, allow drilling, and lets make some money in the USA for a change.

October 1, 2013 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

Keith

My concern is, why are we being force to this type of plan and the federal govt are exempt from it ? So you telling me you want me to get this coverage but you will continue to get a better coverage than what you are offering. Obama stated, I want all Americans to have the same coverages as us federal govt employees. WRONG !!!!! LIED !!!!!!
    --------------------
    I don't understand your false complaint. Similar health care plans are available, but only if you wish to pay for it. Previously, most insurers didn't offer packages with broad coverage. Now, they're required to do so. So, you're wrong. Very wrong.

October 1, 2013 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. sharon

ACA is going to save me $350-$450 a month depending on which plan I pick. If you think Obamacare sucks, you should try paying for COBRA. Since American Airlines committed bankruptcy, they reneged on their promise to provide retiree spouses medical coverage. Corporate America = Greed. My retired military son is going to be able to cover his family. Currently they have no coverage, due to Congressional Republicans stonewalling any jobs bills. Wake up America and stop letting Republicans exploit you for for their own gains. I will not "owe my soul to the company store"!

October 1, 2013 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  4. Doug Cringan

If Obamacare is so great, why aren't the members of Congress signing up ? If Obamacare is " the law " how come Congress exempts itself ? Congress is sooo broken it cannot be fixed. Lets start over.

October 1, 2013 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  5. sunshine

Guess what the obamacare is already not working. Try signing up on the website or try talking to the live chat....NOTHING

October 1, 2013 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  6. ru serious

The people who will benefit are those that will receive a "subsidy"...freeloaders and slackers. The rest of us will carry their load more than we did yesterday. Way to go Washington.

October 1, 2013 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  7. Chris

"According to the poll, 36% say they won't benefit from the new law but other families will. If you add to that the 17% who believe Obamacare will help them personally, the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it."

That's a nice way to portray a favorable public reaction when in actuality 17% BELIEVE OBAMACARE WILL HELP THEM.

Why would you add the 36% of people who say it won't help them but it will help others?! They're talking about the 17%!

October 1, 2013 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  8. H

Actually K, most boys can come on with mental issues at the age if 20.

October 1, 2013 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  9. none yo bizz

Big cry babies over medicare. Republicans want to Shut down the government because 2 parties cannot get along That right there is a waste of money paying for Congress and Senate to do things they can never get done people should be more pissed off at keeping these people in office then some Medicare especially when you take care of every other country but your own!!! everybody in America should have insurance wheather you can afford it or not

October 1, 2013 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  10. VinUSA

Does anybody really think that not getting coverage for pre-existing conditions is a good thing? That an arbitrary cap valuing your life at a million or 2 will not put you into bankrupcy and kill you (or worse your child) if you happen to get a significant medical problem? That it is morally justifiable to let 47,000 people die each year because they cannot afford health insurance? That a system costing twice as much per capita while delivering the worst health outcomes in the developed world should not be changed?
    Really???

October 1, 2013 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  11. independant jim

cant wait to sign up my current premiums are sky high and my benefits only

October 1, 2013 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  12. Rudy NYC

Chris wrote:

------------------–
    Your overwhelming selfishness and personal greed are on full display. Whatever happened to the 2008 McCain campaign slogan, "Country First". I guess the right wing doesn't believe in their own patriotic values, anymore. Huh?

October 1, 2013 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  13. Mary

I don't understand why so many of you don't learn from history. This stand off on budget is about ACA being unwanted by majority ( your own poll shows this.) BUT you have a government that spends more than it takes in and we have huge debt.... so you solve this by starting another government program? We are on the way to becoming bankrupt as a nation and you are too stupid to see this??? So in your own home budget can you continue to spend when you can't pay your bills? If the government does not do something to stop spending more than it makes we are in trouble. ACA is something that our economy can NOT afford now. It has caused so many businesses to take employees to part time and has destroyed job creation because of the expense for providing healthcare. Hospitals have cut employees at a time when you are supposedly adding millions of new patients with this ACA...who will care for them... they had to let so much of their work force go. Did I mention that hospitals and doctors get paid over 20% less under ACA? How many of you can do more work for less and continue to do it well? So government shut down is about not being able to afford this monster ACA. The Dems are in the candy store and are throwing a fit because mom doesn't have enough money to pay for the candy. P.S. what has the IRS EVER run well? And if they leaked financial information about candidates you think they won't leak about your healthcare?

October 1, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  14. Dave

As each day passes CNN amazes me day after day how in the bag they are for this administration. Really, "the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it."

Did you all miss what journalism class was all about?

October 1, 2013 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  15. joe

The statistical math in this article is laughable:
    "According to the poll, 36% say they won't benefit from the new law but other families will. If you add to that the 17% who believe Obamacare will help them personally, the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it.."

....but....

"52% say the health insurance system created by Obamacare is a disaster waiting to happen"

– so 53% thing its good (or some good will come of it) but 52% think its a disaster. – either some people think is a good disaster or there is an extra 5% somewhere.

Horrendously written article CNN – looks like you are trying to polish a turd...

October 1, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. Henry

The tea party is holding the good republicans and America hostage....Shane, Shane, Shame on them. People
    need to start looking at who they vote into office.

October 1, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. John

Obamacare is costing jobs and hours people can put in. Thank you very much. He said he would focus on jobs I guess we should have looked deeper into his statement.

October 1, 2013 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  18. jijotomy

No one knows what pre-existing clause really is, until you get seriously sick and lose your job. Ask my neighbor who was diagnosed with cancer. Wait! You can't ask him. He died last April, after losing his job and with it the insurance coverage. He fought on with the help of Medicare but y'all know how much medicare can do! If you don't know ask my neighbor's wife. Wait! She moved to live with her brother after losing her house to the bank. :(

October 1, 2013 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  19. Courtney Knox

Yes!!!! And several others that I know!

October 1, 2013 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  20. Courtney Knox

Another thing, We have a POOR, IMMATURE, SELFISH Government. Not talking about all republicans, but it is in the bible Matthew 4:42: Give to those who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. God bless people to help other people. Stop being so selfish. I'm quite sure everyone has to pay things they do not want to pay such as taxes, additional fees and surcharges on electricity and cell phone bills, and etc., but we have to pay it. Most people work hard everyday all day and even overtime just as hard as a rich person, but we are still struggling, not to mention the people that really want to work,but have to rely on the government because of certain obstacles and personal situations we have to deal with. With all of that being said, Just come to an agreement and open the darn government back up. Stop acting like children that does not get their way.

October 1, 2013 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  21. Doc Bear

It will help only those who profit off healthcare. Big insurance, big pharma, big healthcare. Period.

It will decrease indigent-care funding to hospitals that see anyone and everyone, no matter what their financial and insurance status and decrease access to care.

It will also raise costs for anyone who is working.

This whole exercise has been – and will prove to be – a disaster of epic proportions for our country. Its perfect its named for the worst President ever to sit in the White House: Obamacare.

October 1, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  22. Rebecca Voss

I think some of you folks need to ask yourself what would Jesus do...Did he make Lazarus' family pay a million dollar hospital bill before raising him from the dead? I'm pretty sure in my Catholic Bible that he didn't charge them a thing because he cared more about saving people than money. Then again maybe the King James bible tells about how he kept the fishes to himself and he only raised Lazarus up for money? Wow maybe you all better come back to the Catholic church, we have our issues but at least our bible shows Jesus and his Father as loving, compassionate people.

October 1, 2013 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  23. Bert974

That's easy. "Obamacare" will help the government spy on you. Your medical records will be connected with your facebook page, with your income tax records, your voting records, internet comments, and your school English compositions and your cellphone transcripts to totally dig into your mind so THEY can totally control everything you think, say, or do. THEY want you to trust them and believe what President Soandso says on television. Yup. Sure.

October 1, 2013 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  24. 52pan

I make less than the poverty level. It will make things a lot worse. Seeing as how my job is seasonal, my employer pays my portion of the health insurance premiums when in the off season. Problem is, I have to reimburse them when I go back to work. I've never signed up for the health insurance because I don't want to spend whatever money I make to repay my employer for the health insurance premiums. Now I just get to pay a fine which I can't afford either.

October 1, 2013 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  25. Kevin

Why do these surveys not reflect people like me, if it's there in the internals, it's not talked about/featured? I am not likely to personally benefit from it any time soon, but think that others will, so I'm for it. My complaint with the ACA is that it didn't go nearly far enough, I want Single Payer Insurance, basically something like Medicare for all.

As for those who say "Why isn't Congress signing up for Obamacare" musn't understand it then, they aren't signing up for it for the same reason I am not. I have employer provided health insurance, who pays a good chunk of the cost. The ACA is not for people like me or Congress Critters, it is for the uninsured, or those who have been buying is on their own.

October 1, 2013 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |