CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?
October 1st, 2013
1 year ago

CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?

Less than one in five Americans say their families will be better off under the new health care law, according to a new poll.

But a CNN/ORC International survey released Tuesday morning also indicates a majority say the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, will help some people, with 37% saying the law, which is gradually starting to kick in, won't help anyone.

According to the poll, four in 10 say the new law will make their families worse off, while 41% believe it will have no effect.

Seventeen percent think the measure will be a good thing for themselves or their families.

The poll's release comes on the same day as a key element of the health care law takes effect, as Americans without insurance can begin enrolling in state insurance exchanges.

And it comes hours after the shutdown of the federal government courtesy of a bitter partisan battle over the new health care law.

According to the poll, 36% say they won't benefit from the new law but other families will. If you add to that the 17% who believe Obamacare will help them personally, the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it. Some 37% say no one in the country will benefit from the measure.

As the exchanges open for business, 52% say the health insurance system created by Obamacare is a disaster waiting to happen, with 45% saying the system will eventually work.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International September 27-29, with 803 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

With most components of the health care law not taking effect until 2014, many Americans still don't have a full grasp of Obamacare, and a couple of surveys from other organizations conducted in September indicated that only a minority said they knew a lot about the law.

– CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: CNN/ORC poll • Congress • Government Shutdown • Polls
  1. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

Chris wrote:

Why would you add the 36% of people who say it won't help them but it will help others?! They're talking about the 17%!
    ------–
    Your overwhelming selfishness and personal greed are on full display. Whatever happened to the 2008 McCain campaign slogan, "Country First". I guess the right wing doesn't believe in their own patriotic values, anymore. Huh?
    -------–
    Overwhelming selfishness you say? Well, Rudy, tell me. When does generosity end? We pay for our fellow citizens Housing. Their food. Their need-based tuition at state schools. Their spending money. Their healthcare. Their cell phones. At least a substantial portion of their utility bills. I'll ask again – when does generosity end?

October 1, 2013 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  2. hrdwrknjoe

Hypocrisy is the shield of Republican fools. You say you hate socialized medicine and welfare. Why then do you suck me dry to pay for your rug rats education?? My total tax bill on 3 Florida properties runs about 28K per year with $3,900.00 going to pay for YOUR seed's education. WHY????
    My parents did not chose the welfare. I went to private pay preschool, elementary, middle school, high school and college. I do NOT want kids and never will. Now again explain to me why you and your kids are on welfare with me paying the bill and you cowards can't pitch in a few bucks to insure the poor?????

October 1, 2013 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  3. John

I will not sign up or use it. I will go to what Doctor I want when I want. Obama or the Dems will have no say in my families access to Health Care.

October 1, 2013 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  4. Chuck58

While visiting the USA my 4 year old son fell in the bathtub and cut his chin. I took him to a giant hospital with a huge carpeted and empty ER waiting room in wealthy West Palm Beach. 4 hours later we were still waiting for evaluation. Angry for such a bad service I left the building and yes... a clerk followed me with a paper to sign. Two years later I was hiking in rural Colombia with my now 6 year old son and he fell and guess where did he cut again!. We walked to the nearest health post and in less than 15 minutes he had a tetanus shot and stitches for free. So folks... 100% of the people will benefit from Obamacare, you just have to give it a try. Of course in Colombia everyone hates the health system but from my experience, it works!

October 1, 2013 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  5. ny88

Willard promised at every opportunity to repeal the Affordable Care Act the first day he was in office. Aside from the fact the man had no clue about how the government works, it was a very clear choice between dumping the Affordable Care Act and keeping it by voting for President Obama. The President won, so that would indicate the majority of Americans want to keep the Affordable Care Act. All the majority had to do was vote for Willard. However apparently the majority are tired of paying for people who could afford insurance but choose to spend their money on beer or a nicer car. The majority was tired of having people dumped by their insurance companies when they became really ill and their medical bills exceeded the limit set by the insurance companies. The majority was tired of people trying to buy health insurance but were turned down by the insurance companies due to pre-existing conditions. Will the Affordable Care Act require some adjustments and revisions. Most certainly. Have the Tea Party controlled Republicans spent a minute of their time making constructive suggestions? No! Not one! They allow the idiot from Texas to waste 21 hours of time that could have been spent keeping our economy from tanking, but again no! It proves they would rather tank the economy (again) in the hopes of destroying the President. They're disgusting and shameful.

October 1, 2013 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  6. MichaelName

Why does big business hate Oboma care?
    1. Big business set up there own insurance company's to make money selling insurance to its employees.
    2. unions did the same.
    3. Obomas name is on the care.
    4. Dems put out this care package.
    5. Republicans were shut out of its making.
    6. It controls outrages cost of medications ,
    7. it helps people avoid health problems, making it harder to profit off the sick.
    8. Because obomas is a black man.
    9. And because thy are spoiled rich brats that are not use to not having their way.

October 1, 2013 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  7. Ron

I was wondering, is this plan what would be known as "death spiral insurance"?

October 1, 2013 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  8. ny88

John, if you have insurance fine. You and your family are free to go to whatever doctor your insurance company allows you to see. If you don't have insurance, then please have the cash ready to pay the bill. Otherwise, if your kid needs an emergency surgery I suggest you clean off that kitchen table and sharpen your hunting knife. I for one am tired of paying higher medical costs due to free loaders.

October 1, 2013 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  9. Capt Beefheart

How many of the people polled are informed about Obamacare well enough to have a useful opinion vs. are making judgements based on what they hear from the news media, friends, and others who may have an uniformed personal bias? I believe the poll results are based more on emotion than reality. I think our illustrious congress (with a small "c") doesn't know or care enough to try to do right by the people anymore – it's all about PARTISAN POLITICS and BIG BUSINESS LOBBYISTS.

October 1, 2013 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  10. kirby

Good John! Obama and the Democrats really aren't telling you what to do with your Healthcare. But you do know you are being helped by Obamacare regardless!

October 1, 2013 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  11. c-lo

Seen on a car's bumper "I 'heart' Obamacare." Seen in this same car...an obese person dangling a cigarette out the window...Go figure!

And to hard(ly) workin joe...You b!tch about paying for the education of someone else's rugrats, and blame the Republicans???? Communal education shared expense is the product of the LEFT. You b!tch about paying for their education, but I bet you'll be the first in line to draw SS from a bankrupt system you and your ilk are leaving those very kids to pay for.

October 1, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  12. trueblue

Once again.....I will take my time ACA was put in place for the 47 million Americans that don't have coverage.....If you have Insurance coverage don't worry keep it... the sole purpose of the ACA is to keep them out of the emergency room for any little BS that comes-up. NOW what that means the CEO's and the INSURANCE vampires will not get the big paychecks anymore. Just remember once the news gets out this good the rates will drop and the playing field is even...... OPEN YOUR EYES ....we are digging in their pockets...Keep on trucking were coming together as a nation just a few more retards in the way.

October 1, 2013 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  13. LS

For all the naysayers pointing at the websites freezing up and saying I told you so, I have two words.... Black Friday. Any of these people ever have a shopping website crash due to sheer volume??? And let's not forget voting machines while we're at it... they're still not right. C'mon people, grow up!!!

October 1, 2013 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  14. oneWayfarer

and approximately 100% of people LIE to Pollsters in Order to advance whatever Political Position they want to take.

October 1, 2013 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  15. c-lo

sharon

ACA is going to save me $350-$450 a month depending on which plan I pick. If you think Obamacare sucks, you should try paying for COBRA. Since American Airlines committed bankruptcy, they reneged on their promise to provide retiree spouses medical coverage. Corporate America = Greed. My retired military son is going to be able to cover his family. Currently they have no coverage, due to Congressional Republicans stonewalling any jobs bills. Wake up America and stop letting Republicans exploit you for for their own gains. I will not "owe my soul to the company store"!
    ____________________________________
    No, it is not going to "save" you anything it is forcing others to pay your tab. Do you go to a restaurant and ask the waiter to divy up the amount of your tab you don't want to pay to the other patrons? Maybe you do...
    Your "savings" is going to come at the expense of either higher taxes for you, reduced gov't benefits to you or others and/or a bankrupt nation for your kids. What happened to you through AA is just a small sampling of what is going to eventually happen to every family under UACA.

October 1, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  16. Mike 56

I ran the numbers for my situation today to qualify for ACA. I earn under the poverty limit, with is who the program is suppose to help, Under this law I am required to spend 89% of my income on insurance. I will receive no Federal or State Tax credit subsidy for offsetting the insurance. CAN YOU LIVE ON 11% of your income. Tell me why we should not be fighting to overturn this law?

October 1, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair asked on page 12:

"That's a nice way to portray a favorable public reaction when in actuality 17% BELIEVE OBAMACARE WILL HELP THEM.

Why would you add the 36% of people who say it won't help them but it will help others?! They're talking about the 17%"

------------------
    A swing and a miss. Stay on topic. I'm talking about Chris' lack of having compassion and caring about what happens to others. Chris seemed to feel that people who feel that the ACA may help them personally, but that it will help others do not count.

"Nice try."

October 1, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  18. Marie MD

@1twinsfan, I hope you are kidding because if you have adjo. you don't need Obamacare.
    @david, you must be one of the 1% because no $$$$ no food, roof over your head, nothing!
    This only hurts the little people, the 47%+ and we already know how the teatards feel about most of US.

October 1, 2013 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  19. lydiann

Why does everyone want to hate on WELFARE, which is only 17 o/o of this deficit. WHY are you same people hating on CORP WELFARE which is about 35 o/o of the deficit. And these same people call themselves christian, you wolves. The WORD tell of you and who you belong to.
    And these poll since you give out the percentage of what these people believe in. Could you also tell us what percent were WHITE in these polls. I'm sure that's 100 o/o.
    And I notice that the NEWS networks lies just as much as REPUBLICANS
    now for a history lesson: THE PHARISEES WANTED JESUS KILLED BECAUSE HE WAS GIVEN FREE HEALTHCARE, FREE MENTAL HEALTHCARE, FREE SPIRITUAL HEALTHCARE.
    I SAY TO ALL THE BELIEVERS, WHEN PRAISES GO UP BLESSING COME DOWN. AND THE DEVIL & HIS SYNAGOGUE OF LIES ARE DONE!!!

October 1, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  20. Word Games

"...36% say they won't benefit from the new law but other families will. If you add to that the 17% who believe Obamacare will help them personally, the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it."

This sounds like the kind of jargon one writes when the poll results weren't what the writer had hoped for. It isn't reporting - it's spinning to support a held political point.

How many Americans believe at least 1 person would benefit if all working people were taxed 90% to give cash bonuses to the unemployed?! It follows, then, that most Americans would see some good coming out of a 90% tax. Uh-huh.

October 1, 2013 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  21. Derek

If ObamaCare is so great why won't Senates and Congress utilize this coverage, oh and what will happen when illegial immigrants go to the hosiptal and they can't be refused, who pays for that?

October 1, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  22. Js

['Rebecca Voss

I think some of you folks need to ask yourself what would Jesus do...Did he make Lazarus' family pay a million dollar hospital bill before raising him from the dead? I'm pretty sure in my Catholic Bible that he didn't charge them a thing because he cared more about saving people than money. Then again maybe the King James bible tells about how he kept the fishes to himself and he only raised Lazarus up for money? Wow maybe you all better come back to the Catholic church, we have our issues but at least our bible shows Jesus and his Father as loving, compassionate people."]

I wish people would stop castigating those of a different opinion who have simply voiced concerns about the fiscal feasibility of Obamacare – as uncompassionate & uncaring. Just because someone doesn't agree with your political opinion does not mean they don't care for others – they just diagree on your opinion of how to help. Lets get off our self-righteous horses and try to see some merit in each sides argument because there is merit on both sides! The discourse on this board is a microcosm of what is going on in Congress – self-righteous sides consumed in petty hate over non-issues, when in the big picture, we all want the same things – a better healthcare system.

October 1, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  23. kirk

Mike, get a better paying job, no one pays that %, your leaving out more than a little I suspect

October 1, 2013 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  24. trueblue

YES ? when does generosity end? Lets stop giving countries that hate use 900 million to 47 billion dollars a year... lets stop sending our young men to fight wars we don't start. but when comes to helping our fellow American citizens let's stop. but that same nations we give trillions of dollars to their citizens it's okay. And when they move next door to you and you don't wounder where the money comes from...Good old America give everyone else a chance.

October 1, 2013 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  25. Rudy NYC

Word Games wrote:

This sounds like the kind of jargon one writes when the poll results weren't what the writer had hoped for. It isn't reporting – it's spinning to support a held political point.

------------------
    Funny name.

It took a 90% tax to pay of America's World War II debts. How many Americans believe that our economy would have never crashed had George W. Bush raised taxes to pay for his wars, instead of dramatically cutting them to pay off his campaign donors.

October 1, 2013 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |