CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?
October 1st, 2013
11 months ago

CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?

Less than one in five Americans say their families will be better off under the new health care law, according to a new poll.

But a CNN/ORC International survey released Tuesday morning also indicates a majority say the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, will help some people, with 37% saying the law, which is gradually starting to kick in, won't help anyone.

According to the poll, four in 10 say the new law will make their families worse off, while 41% believe it will have no effect.

Seventeen percent think the measure will be a good thing for themselves or their families.

The poll's release comes on the same day as a key element of the health care law takes effect, as Americans without insurance can begin enrolling in state insurance exchanges.

And it comes hours after the shutdown of the federal government courtesy of a bitter partisan battle over the new health care law.

According to the poll, 36% say they won't benefit from the new law but other families will. If you add to that the 17% who believe Obamacare will help them personally, the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it. Some 37% say no one in the country will benefit from the measure.

As the exchanges open for business, 52% say the health insurance system created by Obamacare is a disaster waiting to happen, with 45% saying the system will eventually work.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International September 27-29, with 803 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

With most components of the health care law not taking effect until 2014, many Americans still don't have a full grasp of Obamacare, and a couple of surveys from other organizations conducted in September indicated that only a minority said they knew a lot about the law.

– CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: CNN/ORC poll • Congress • Government Shutdown • Polls
  1. c-lo

If Obamacare is so affordable, why does it take 10 years of funding to provide 6 years of subsidy benefits. They had to delay implementation of the benefits until 2014, while collecting taxes since 2010 to make the numbers work for the 10 years the CBO is required to look at gov't spending on programs.

With revisions, the NET cost (i.e. budget deficits" dropped last year to "only $1.083T from $1.13T. But the GROSS cost estimate went up...why? Higher TAXES.

October 1, 2013 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Js

I can imagine the CNN Editor was a bit miffed when these survery results came in – AND the facts did not quite fit in the company "agenda". Those stubborn facts always getting in the way of a good story. And so, they simply came up with what they hoped was a creative way to massage the facts, and make it fit into the agenda – which led to this line in the article:

"According to the poll, 36% say they won't benefit from the new law but other families will. If you add to that the 17% who believe Obamacare will help them personally, the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it."

I thought I was the only one who froze after reading this line, until I read other comments lol. Way to go CNN. Anytime a poll gives you less than desirable facts, simply massage, add and extrapolate. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with a conclusion that fits the company tow line.

To say the sorry attempt at statistical manipulation in this article is laughable – is laughable. Sad would be more apt.

October 1, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. DC CRITIC

The ACA will not help Congress, labor unions, large corporations, DC elite, lobbyist, Obama or his staff or a single federal worker - why? because Obama and Reid exempted all of them from the law through waivers and suspensions. Obama's own ACA is not good enough for all his friends

Obama and the Dems are making this solely a political ploy to try to get more House seats in the mid term - Obama should be impeached along with harry the troll in the senate

October 1, 2013 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  4. GPraz

I work as an owner of a Medical Business and today begins the process of helping those left out of the system.
    Let's see two of my patients signed up today. One had reached lifetime cap and switched to a better HMO. The other we have been treating FOR FREE for two years. They signed up, that is the parents did, for their child.
    Mothers now get insurance paid Lactation services (AUG 2012) that promotes breast feeding which will reduce childhood asthma and teenage depression just to name a few and will save billions over ten years not to mention save lives.
    My business will enjoy a 50% tax break this year on health care premiums. That money will go into more staff....and to be honest my pocket!!
    Free care will be reduced this coming year.
    My kid has been on my policy now my brother can keep his kid on in a state that had not allowed that.
    I AM NOT getting rid of insurance for employees who are health care workers but one employee wants a pay raise and will select another plan so she can get a doctor she wants to use. I said go ahead. I could go on but I was Republican my whole life but Obama changes my perspective/. Got my vote because of his incredible will.....to help Americans. Everyone talked reform...he did it. You should talked to the people this will help.

October 1, 2013 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  5. LA LA STTAW

I had no problem going to the webiste to read about the Healthcare Law. Signed up and everything. This is a good thing for the people you selfish nuts!!!!

October 1, 2013 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  6. One

Mike 56,

If you earn so little you either qualify for Medicaid or exempt from buying insurance.You don't seem to know the law very well.

October 1, 2013 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  7. wilson

@John

I will not sign up or use it. I will go to what Doctor I want when I want. Obama or the Dems will have no say in my families access to Health Care.
    ----
    That is all well and good. However, you will still be paying for others health care with all the new taxes/fines/fees in obamacare, that the liberals are purposely failing to mention.
    $

October 1, 2013 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  8. kathy

Obama care has already cost my 2 grandsons their Full time jobs as told to them by employers
    I have had my medication dosage decreased and the frequency allowed decreased as dictated to Dr by obamacare . for me that means fast track to a wheel chair and dependence .. not good to be no longer a contributator to society

October 1, 2013 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  9. Mark Gore

I can't believe (or really, I can believe), that the government has had years to prepare to kick off "Obama Care" and their website is crashing and has so many bugs (cannot enter security questions/answers). I guess I'm glad we have until March '14 to sign up for insurance, because evidently it will take that long to get logged in / registered. Ha ha...way to go government. We knew you would be ready to take care of us..

October 1, 2013 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  10. Eric

I suspect that soon, Columbia University will be offering a PhD in sitting on your rear and collecting from your Government–with professor Barack Obama holding the Chair in Communist's for America Studies.

October 1, 2013 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  11. Jim

It will help us get more republicans and libertarians elected when the libs see this stank they voted for implemented! LOL

October 1, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. earlyman

So by the end of this year Obama will have taken more than $200 each month out of my family's income... Yeah that is real progressive......

October 1, 2013 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  13. george

Way to go Republicans! You just put 738000 people out of work. No telling how many more...Can't wait for the 2014 elections. We will have a Democratically controlled House, Senate AND President!!

October 1, 2013 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  14. Angie

Obama care is literally hurting me financially! We're in the process of purchasing our first home and we were told last week that our premiums are going up 12% next year!! That's roughly $160 extra a month. Which makes a HUGE dent financially for us. I'm from & work in Los Angeles and they're aren't too many affordable good neighborhoods near by and we were already barely going to make it with our current budget but then we got the news about the increase and now we have to re strategize everything. Possibly even seriously prolonging on buying our first home because we refuse to live in bad neighborhoods.

How hard do we have to work to get the most life has to offer?

OBAMACARE ISN'T FAIR!!

October 1, 2013 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  15. Cody

After reading numerous articles on news sites of varying degrees of bias, I have found one common thread to all the stories. Whether the news source is from a leftist, right wing, or unbiased source, they all state that the ACA is HIGHLY dependent on healthy men in their mid 20's buying into the ACA. It's an evil necessity in order to off set the costs of the overall coverage for all uninsured Americans. So, what happens when these young healthy men choose NOT to buy coverage?

October 1, 2013 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. disqus_m4RzRjSnrs

I hope it will help someone, somewhere. However, please do not worry about how my family will eat to cover the costs for you. We are not exactly rolling in dough ourselves.

October 1, 2013 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  17. ObamaCare will help Democrat Rich and Their Slaves

That is all it will help.

October 1, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  18. cf

Harry Reid refused to negotiate with House Republicans and he shut down the government.

The House of Representatives has sent multiple government funding bills to the Senate. While the bills fully funded the government, they defunded and delayed ObamaCare – just as America demanded.

Now Harry Reid is trying to blame conservatives for a shutdown even though he is the one who won’t work with the House to fund the government

October 1, 2013 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. NoNamegop

Helps me so I can change jobs or go indepedant and keep health insurance. I won't be locked into the same employment and can take more risks!

October 1, 2013 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  20. MrMan

Chuck58:
    " So folks... 100% of the people will benefit from Obamacare, you just have to give it a try. Of course in Colombia everyone hates the health system but from my experience, it works!"

No, it doesn't. The infant mortality rate in Columbia, for example, is about 15/1000, while the rate in
    the U.S. is about 5 (which is still too high, but that's another story).
    Giving everybody "something" is not the same as providing decent healthcare.
    Obama's plan is going to give everybody "something", and we are going to lose the standard of care
    we had.

October 1, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  21. general tso

@Word Games, @Master Wooten, @ Keith, et al....don't waste your breath trying to have a dialogue w/ @ Rudy. He knows more about everything than anyone who thinks differently than he does, and is quick to point that out. You will notice that he only posts during business hours, which makes me believe that he is (or was) a government employee. He is for all things Obama, and is still using the George Bush excuse for anything bad in the world. He is at least more civil than most of the other extremists from both sides of the aisle.

October 1, 2013 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  22. Paul

Obamacare will prohibit me from using major medical healthcare coverage because those plans no longer qualify without paying a hefty penalty to the government. Major medical healthcare coverage is ideal for those who are in good health and don't mind paying out of pocket for smaller medical expenses. It may not be a plan for everyone, but it was nice to have as an option.

October 1, 2013 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  23. boungiorno

TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! i think people need to get rid of the sarcasim and get down on their knees and start praying then you will see normality

October 1, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  24. Sara

These statistics are a joke. A poll of 803 adults is a less than credible viewpoint of the over 300 Million Americans.

October 1, 2013 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  25. winter

My respond to all this get rid of all your republicans which are all a bunch of red necks ,Obama is the best thing that has ever happen to the united states .God Bless You OBAMA for all your hard work and time. With out you the united states would be bankrupted many years ago No one sees the good that you are doing that's why the Republicans are working against you to make believe its your fault wrong............Republicans ........go back to school and learn something about respect .... for the president of the united states .......

October 1, 2013 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |