CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?
October 1st, 2013
7 months ago

CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?

Less than one in five Americans say their families will be better off under the new health care law, according to a new poll.

But a CNN/ORC International survey released Tuesday morning also indicates a majority say the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, will help some people, with 37% saying the law, which is gradually starting to kick in, won't help anyone.

According to the poll, four in 10 say the new law will make their families worse off, while 41% believe it will have no effect.

Seventeen percent think the measure will be a good thing for themselves or their families.

The poll's release comes on the same day as a key element of the health care law takes effect, as Americans without insurance can begin enrolling in state insurance exchanges.

And it comes hours after the shutdown of the federal government courtesy of a bitter partisan battle over the new health care law.

According to the poll, 36% say they won't benefit from the new law but other families will. If you add to that the 17% who believe Obamacare will help them personally, the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it. Some 37% say no one in the country will benefit from the measure.

As the exchanges open for business, 52% say the health insurance system created by Obamacare is a disaster waiting to happen, with 45% saying the system will eventually work.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International September 27-29, with 803 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

With most components of the health care law not taking effect until 2014, many Americans still don't have a full grasp of Obamacare, and a couple of surveys from other organizations conducted in September indicated that only a minority said they knew a lot about the law.

– CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: CNN/ORC poll • Congress • Government Shutdown • Polls
  1. John

You can not reasonably extrapolate ~0.0003% of the population to represent the entire population. That's not "less than credible", that's a joke.

October 1, 2013 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  2. Lisa

Was able to access healthcare.gov and had to enter tons of personal information just to see prices. Why do they need my previous cell phone numbers and addresses? Once I was able to see plans and pricing, the premiums are 58% higher than what we pay now with LESS coverage. Who is this suppose to help?!? This is beyond frustrating. I was so excited about the ACA and all the wonderful things that President Obama said about it. Now I know that it was all a LIE! He is no different than all the other politicians, well he can apparently lie better than most.

October 1, 2013 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  3. brian

will this help? hell 2 the no people who don't have insurance now can't afford it. and look at the prices on the new website for it talk about ridiculous. for a cheap plan which covers almost nothing and 10,000 deductable with you paying 40 percent of all charges after that is about 120,00 a month. not bad, but from a company that never heard of and who knows where you would have to go for a hospital visit. it cost over 500,00 a month for a decent plan and that's for a single person. real affordable. and to take your taxes for not having it that will make alot of money for the government and hurt the poor.

October 1, 2013 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  4. LOL

asdf

I am able to sign up for an "obamacare" plan today but my brother who is in the military will not get paid and I can't take my kids to the statue of liberty...and how is this shutdown helping to stop obamacare?
    ________________
    YOU HAVE BEEN LIED TO!!! Military will still get paid during the shutdown, STOP spreading lies and scare tactics!!!

October 1, 2013 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  5. C. Robell

This country is heading straight for socialized medcine.Give obamacare 6 months and it will collapse from its own weight.This nation is more polarized now then i can ever remember. How sad it all is..2016 cant come fast enough

October 1, 2013 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

general tso

@Word Games, @Master Wooten, @ Keith, et al....don't waste your breath trying to have a dialogue w/ @ Rudy. He knows more about everything than anyone who thinks differently than he does, and is quick to point that out. You will notice that he only posts during business hours, which makes me believe that he is (or was) a government employee. He is for all things Obama, and is still using the George Bush excuse for anything bad in the world. He is at least more civil than most of the other extremists from both sides of the aisle.
    ---------------------------–
    Chalk that up as a win by shutout. They just can't argue with the actual facts, although they continue to try. It's not my fault that the right wing hypocrisies are so easy to expose.

Arguing that it's Democrats fault the government shutdown because the Senate didn't bother with voting down the House bills. When in fact, the Sehate did vote on the bills, ameneded them and sent them back to the House, who has yet to vote on them. Are you kidding me or yourselves?

October 1, 2013 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  7. Juliett13

It's already hurt me,, and I'm the poorest of the poor. Being disabled I live off of $960 a month, my rent alone is 2/3 of my income and after paying my bills i had less then $50 left for household needs ( dishsoap shampoo, TP, ect.) . So why is it that my prescription monthy premium WENT UP by $5??? Believe me, when u make it off of between $40 and $50 a month after bills, $5 makes a big difference. Wasn't Obamacare suppose to help the poor?

October 1, 2013 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  8. GOP = Greed Over People

Lisa, so you keep your current insurance and nothing changes in your life.

Some of us are now able to buy individual policies at what essentially is group coverage and rates.

That changes our lives greatly and in a good way.

October 1, 2013 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  9. bob

It's about time the House stood up for the people. Obama is acting like a dictator and picking up his marbles to go home if he can't win. He is a spoiled brat and Harry Reid is just a mouthpiece and a joke as a "leader"! Why don't we just run the government with only essential personnel forever and then won't have to borrow any more money and would actually pay down the debt to nothing in less than 10 years.

October 1, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. Brockman

Never been more discussed with my government!! For Obama and Democrats to blame this all on the Rep. house is a joke. Obamacare will cost more than I or my son who is a seasonal worker can even come close to affording. I have ins. but Obamacare will cost me more and force me to drive 140 miles to a hospital, and just a far for a Dr. Are u all crazy. Than MY government says they will fine me and my son (who does drive) if I do not get Obamacare. I am being held over a deep hole and praying for 2016 change. God helps us because our Dem. government will not even talk. Obama I did not vote for you and now you have proved me correct in not giving u my vote.

October 1, 2013 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  11. bestgram3

Single payer, Single payer, Single payer.

October 1, 2013 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. becky

I just got my letter from my kaiser insurance outlining their new aca approved plans and it is horrible! My deductible doubled, my prescriptions doubled and my co pays went up. I went from having decent insurance to a horrible one and the price to have my old plan back is completely out of my price range. all that obamacare has done for me is insure that I cannot pay my medical bills sure I have a medical emergency down the road!

October 1, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  13. Kelly

Of course not. I actually have a job and pay taxes and have insurance myself. A poll of 803 adults to represent the American population? Really?

October 1, 2013 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

bestgram3

Single payer, Single payer, Single payer.
    ----------------------
    Right wing health care plan. Single prayer. Single prayer. Single prayer.

October 1, 2013 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  15. Guest

I wonder if all the young people have stopped to consider why their buying into the system is so critical?

Simply put, you will spend more money on insurance than you will consume in healthcare.

Those that will consume far more in healthcare than they spend for insurance need you to buy in so your dollars can pay for their care. The whole thing is a house of cards that requires a large group of people to buy something that they probably won't ever use.

Obviously, if you should have a serious injury or illness, or an accident or something unforeseeable, insurance will help, but statistically speaking, it is extremely unlikely that any given individual will be one of the unlucky few young people that ends up consuming more healthcare than he pays in premiums, and even then, since you can't be denied for preexisting conditions now and you can't be charged more because you have them, there's really no reason you shouldn't just pay the meager penalty until you actually need care, then sign up for insurance.

As a Libertarian, it's weird to say this, but it probably would have been better to just go the single-payer route. Profit motive is not to be trusted when it comes to caring for the ill or injured and this half-measure ACA is built around young people not figuring out that they're being harvested to pay for the care of others.

October 1, 2013 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  16. Delta 2 Niner

My wife have kaiser in roseville ca.
    Our kids where on a program earlier this year for 16.00 for the both of them. Over the summer we got a letter stating they had to re evaluate our childs plans. We called and the lady said it was being adjusted in part because we made about 600.00 more now a year, and she said because of the looming obama care. So it went from 16.00 to 76.00 for one of our daughters and 152.00 a month for our daughter with a heart murmur. We just got anothet letter stating january 1st they monthly bill will be 124.00 each! So a little came down for our daughter with the murmur, but went way up for our other girl. The co pay went up and the coverage went down. So let me ask you America. Is it working in our case? My wife and I Will say hell no. We know who did this to us. If you are gonna get covered congratulations. But we would like to ask the irs if we claim a few of you on our tax returns as dependants. As you may if guessed, this very hard working middle class family is upset, and our take home pay has dwindled down to living pay check to pay check. We dont drink, smoke, go on trips, just go to work, pay our bills, and trying to raise our twin 3 year olds the best we can.

October 1, 2013 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  17. Madison Lady

Absolutely not. Just another attempt by Obama to ruin the country

October 1, 2013 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  18. Name dave

I just sit back laughing at u goobers that voted for this twit Obama and now are freaking out. We all saw this coming. U people got what you wanted now deal with it. No remorse here!

October 1, 2013 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  19. rosethornne

If the Greedy Old Politicians had spent a tenth of the energy they wasted bashing their head into a wall, on working to improve the Affordable Care Act, most of these problems would have been solved already.
    Social Security and Medicate were terrible when they first cane out, then responsible legislators worked to improve them.
    That's how you fix things. Not by throwing a temper tantrum a la Ted Crudz.

October 1, 2013 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  20. Don

Ponzi Scheme? House of Cards? Smoke and Mirrors?

October 1, 2013 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  21. DH

Repubs are mad that they lost to this president AGAIN!!! ACA is going to give those who have not been able to purchase health insur the ability to do just that.
    The exchanges in each state consist of the priv insur you have heard of like BCBS, metropolitan. Aetna kaiser etc. you chose which one fits your budget and benefits you need. Hey 2 million went online in NY!!!!!
    So go to healthcare.gov click on your state and scroll thru and check it out. You have until 3/31/14 to sign up for this open enrollment. If you want your insur to start 1/1/14 you have to sign up by 12/14/13. 800 numbers will also be listed on the site and customer service folks called "navigators" are spreading out around the country to help.

October 1, 2013 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  22. toyo

NO PROBLEMS...KEEP YOUR OWN DOCTR, KEEP YOUR OWN INSURANCE IF YIOU WANT, PREMIUMS WILL GO DOWN... That is provided...your doctor stays doctoring, your employer or their insurance plan will keeps YOU and as for gov keeping cost down quality high... We have gotten exactly what we deserve. Unicorns and fairy dust for all. Thank you mr pres, ms pelosi mr reid democrat voters republican non voters and most of all ignorance (the media) for gross malpractice. grow up stop squanderring our children's children's future. Sadly this is the best gov can do...many mulligans later this will be loved, O says so. stop whining get with the program... it will get better won't it?

October 1, 2013 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  23. JLW

I don't need to use the exchanges but for the heck of it tried to use them – just to see what the actual premiums were. Needless to say, I couldn't even get on! That's a fine start. Here is what I DO know about Obamacare and how it relates to MY employer sponsored healthcare insurance. Oh and BTW – hubby's employer is the federal government (not Congress or IRS!) So, my premiums went up 7% – I thought Obamacare was supposed to help curb the rising costs. Last year, the same policy only went up 3%. Let me state that we choose NOT to get the best policy but a decent one. So not too many changes but.....generic drugs doubled! Ok, granted going from $5 – $10/month may not seem like a huge difference but.....when you start to add in the additional cost for the three of us – it amounts to an additional out of pocket in generic drugs only – of $35/month. Next add in the higher costs of our other few non generic Rxs and my out of pocket prescription costs just went up by ~$60/month. Now add in the extra $250/year for an increase in premiums and all of a sudden, my 'same' insurance coverage now costs $970 year for no extra coverage! Now, $80 extra a month may not seem like a lot but....as a federal employee, pay has been frozen for three years with no end in sight.
    Will Obamacare help me? Absolutely NOT. Does it potentially hurt me? Yes. How? Simple – you start by giving more and more people these subsidies to help pay for their insurance (find) but no one bothers to say how less revenue coming in to the govt is supposed to benefit me. What other programs will be cut because of Obamacare? Nothing you say. Then tell me how is the govt supposed to fund everything with decreased tax revenue? Oh I know – let's raise MY taxes even more! Let's put more and more people on Medicaid and give them 100% FREE medical care and prescriptions but make all of those with employer sponsored healthcare receive less and pay more.

October 1, 2013 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  24. Name Sandra C P

Taking a poll at this time is pointless with all of the miss-information being reported by the media, including CNN. Its been deemed constitutional and is law....give it a chance. Tell the GOP to get back to work and pass a budget!

October 1, 2013 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  25. against_OBAMACARE

Obama should return freedom to all the US people. He should let every US individual to decide whether they want to join the national insurance or not. He is acting as Fascism. To join or not to join us OUR freedom, and Obama SHOULD NOT FORCE everyone to join or use punishment to push everyone. This is against the right / freedom given by the CONSTITUTION! US is not a Communist Country. Americans deserve their freedom that we fought for to gain independence of the US!

October 1, 2013 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |