CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?
October 1st, 2013
12 months ago

CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?

Less than one in five Americans say their families will be better off under the new health care law, according to a new poll.

But a CNN/ORC International survey released Tuesday morning also indicates a majority say the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, will help some people, with 37% saying the law, which is gradually starting to kick in, won't help anyone.

According to the poll, four in 10 say the new law will make their families worse off, while 41% believe it will have no effect.

Seventeen percent think the measure will be a good thing for themselves or their families.

The poll's release comes on the same day as a key element of the health care law takes effect, as Americans without insurance can begin enrolling in state insurance exchanges.

And it comes hours after the shutdown of the federal government courtesy of a bitter partisan battle over the new health care law.

According to the poll, 36% say they won't benefit from the new law but other families will. If you add to that the 17% who believe Obamacare will help them personally, the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it. Some 37% say no one in the country will benefit from the measure.

As the exchanges open for business, 52% say the health insurance system created by Obamacare is a disaster waiting to happen, with 45% saying the system will eventually work.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International September 27-29, with 803 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

With most components of the health care law not taking effect until 2014, many Americans still don't have a full grasp of Obamacare, and a couple of surveys from other organizations conducted in September indicated that only a minority said they knew a lot about the law.

– CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: CNN/ORC poll • Congress • Government Shutdown • Polls
  1. UnhappyInCT

This act isn't necessarily hurting me directly but it is affecting my family. My parents insurance cost and deductibles have increased significantly while the level of care has decreased. Let the government shut down so they can see what real Americans are facing!

October 1, 2013 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  2. dde

So how many of you complaining now voted for obama?

October 1, 2013 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  3. toby

I have been to many different country while serving in the military and on vacation, I talk to the people of those country about there health care systems, Costa Rica health cares system works like this there government take 2.5% of there pay check and it goes for the health care of that person and there family, and here how it works, If you have to go to see a doctor you can go to any doctor get treated get your medication and go home or if you have to go to the dentist it the same you get your teeth fix and your done. no copay payments, no doctor bills no hospital bills you get treated with the care you need to get. Why can't our Government do this, Why because of the all mighty dollar and the doctors and hospital can't charge you for all the test that you might have to have done. like is said it is the all mighty dollar. I have seen this system work. we the people need to tear down our government our for father put it on paper if the government can't work for the people that people has the right to tear down that government.

October 1, 2013 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  4. Mark

Sounds like very expensive catastrophic insurance.

October 1, 2013 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  5. Mark

Unaffordable Care Act?

October 1, 2013 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  6. Lucy

Hi, I work part-time and relatively healthy until I turned 50 two years ago. I bought the cheapest private insurance with a high deductible and in two years I had to deal with 3 price increases. I'm grateful for Obamacare because I can't afford insurance premium increases set forth by for profit entities at the expense of my health. No sir-ee! I went on the healthcare.gov website and got a fair price even if it was a lot of work. The advantage of govt healthcare is it doesn't squeeze you like private enterprise so I'm all for socialized medicine. Better you have healthcare than not.

October 1, 2013 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  7. AE

An almost $3000 rise in our insurance next year is the opposite of affordable health care :(

October 1, 2013 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  8. Anonymous

@DH This MAY help some who currently have no insurance. My employer has notified us we will lose our provided health insurance 31 Dec (hours have already been cut to part-time). I went on the exchanges offered in Florida, the Bronze plans are $1200.00 more than I currently pay and coverage is a joke. Even with the subsidies based on my age and income, I'll have to find almost $2000.00 more a year to come close to the coverage I had without the ACA. So please tell me HOW this is better and WHY I can't have the same 1 year extension employers got????

October 1, 2013 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  9. Bill

LOL. Come on CNN, let's bust out the spin calculator. 17% think they will benefit...better add that to 36% to make this article sound good..... Then tell us a majority think obamacare will do some good.....then a few lines down tell us that 52% think obamacare is a disaster waiting to happen. Sketchy math CNN, sketchy math

October 1, 2013 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  10. Bubba

Obamacare is here, so let's roll up our sleeves and make it the best health care system in the world.
    Two things though: First, call it Obamacare. Because after crapping on it for years trying to kill by linking it to Obama, it would be disingenuous to call it the Affordable Care Act. Second, use that American ingenuity and drive that took us to the moon, to make it representative of American greatness.
    The time for petty bickering is over, the time to get to work is here.

October 1, 2013 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  11. BC

All of these Liberals will continue to lie... Obamacare was only put in place to control more of your life.

October 1, 2013 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  12. dave

Since I plan on making less next year because I plan on cutting back my hours, the government will pick up most all the medical insurance costs for me and my wife, so it will help me.

October 1, 2013 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  13. HH

People are losing their jobs in the government and Kevin McCarthy is on TV smiling, laughinh=g and thinking it is a big joke. I will not be voting republican for a long time.

October 1, 2013 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  14. Casie

Way to go Kevin McCarthy on "out front" because when that short haired chick said u are not as popular and "stepping on your own message" and I realized then how much these people – pretty sure all republicans- actually CARE ABOUT AMERICANS! To stick to their decision and not sway to this horrible government healthcare reform which could cause so many to be hurt by it with healthcare providers to be paid LOWER!! When Medicare reimbursements are horrible! Can u imagine obamas plan! It's a socialist way!
    They care about helping the poor who will by the way not contribute to usa economy and sticking it to the people/companies who do! Disgusting! President is not the fit for usa! He has been elected because of minorities, poverty stricken, and uneducated people from states like freaking Arkansas! And what is AFFORDABLE!! Affordable ISNT FREE!!!!!!

October 1, 2013 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  15. Casie

Good for the republicans caring enough about AMERICAS future to stick to their decision vs giving in and having this socialism mind take control of healthcare and cause people serious out of pockets and healthcare providers to be in trouble!

October 1, 2013 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  16. Leslie

Im a democrat but my husband and i cant afford the Obama care i hope it doesnt go through it takes from my kids at tax time and also money out of his check each month we should be able to go to these parks without shutting them down because of this issue tax payers should pay we pay for everything else just keep it open and Deny Obama care we make less than 20,000 a yr and we have a family of 6

October 1, 2013 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  17. Leslie

Give them back there jobs they have families this is just crazy why dont we get someone thats going to do the right thing and not taking away from us US citizens no congress shouldnt be paid they should be shut down as well like everyone else this is outrageous

October 2, 2013 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  18. V

All the people still trying to figure it out the problem is greedy. The health industry makes billions and the people in congress are just worried that obamacare will cut into their millions. Ever wander why they make it so people don't get cured. They make it so you're stuck paying for an expensive medicine the rest of your life. There's no money in the cure.

October 2, 2013 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  19. Leslie

Get us out of this mess I didnt vote for either because i didnt agree with either of them but i do need my voice to be heared the world isnt on either side why should you get paid if we dont get paid why shut down and take from the American Citizens when you talked all good to get the votes to get you in the white house and all you have done is talk a good game thats not right or fair its not going to be good for my family us poor people get foodstamps and help from the government and you still want to take away from us my family would starve because of you your not helping anyone your taking away from us housing is already high and food gas always goes up and down and here you are rising prices on insurance and none of my family could pay for that I hope we get to vote because for the first time i would and id also vote to get you out of there because its all a lie its sad to see a family that has monthly income of 2000 just by one person working while mom sits at home with the kids because day care is to high and just living you came to the red state not to long ago talking about what you'd do to help at Amazon in TN and what do we have to do is pay more money we already pay for everything its not free unless your homeless and thats not what USA means it said Home Of The Free an you guys want more money and taking jobs to put more people on the streets Tell Us How Is That Fair

October 2, 2013 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  20. orrball

CNN keeps on one side look at it just listen to there talk show calling the GOP. lyres. I hope they are right but with so many people, business , unions, Gov. employees and peoples hours being cut back there is some thing wrong ? I feel like a test rat for Obamacare

October 2, 2013 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  21. Name Jeff

What a joke....I went on the site and the rates are horribly expensive. I will continue to have no health care coverage. Much cheaper. Obamacare = Epic Fail!

October 2, 2013 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  22. Name

We do not need another government program period!!!

October 2, 2013 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  23. s

I checked the cost of the new health care and not only is the cost ridiculous but the coverage is not anything like I have now. I would have to pay $2500 a month for a family of 4 for the least expensive plan and that plan does not even cover office visits. There is only 1 choice of companies to pick from. The choices are terrible . I hope that my employer does not drop our coverage or we won't be able to afford obamacare. Don't be fooled by the hype that it will save you money because it won't save me anything. Paying 10 times more a month with less coverage doesn't sound like what the president promised.

October 2, 2013 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  24. Sherri

It has already helped my mother. She is Medicare age, takes several medications for a chronic condition, and falls into the Medicare Part D donut hole each year, where she must pay the entire amount of her prescriptions. I add that she also runs her own successful, profitable, small business, is a widow, and contributes much to our society. The Affordable Care Act, has reduced the donut hole already, and will eliminate it completely in time. This benefit went into effect last year. Mom and other senior citizens with chronic medical conditions benefit greatly from the reduction of financial burden. Thank you so much, President Obama.

October 2, 2013 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  25. Lawrence

The sooner we can all understand and agree that these politicians don't represent the people, the sooner we can get our country back. The very fact that congress still gets paid during this shutdown and the veterans don't, should be enough BS for the American people to WAKE UP. As long as these political games DONT hurt the pockets of these gangsters, we will NEVER get out of this mess. The USA is turning into the Land Of Confusion, don't rely on the media (both pro left and right) to tell you what's going on. Go out and see for yourself

I LOVE MY COUNTRY BUT NOT MY GOVERNMENT