CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?
October 1st, 2013
11 months ago

CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?

Less than one in five Americans say their families will be better off under the new health care law, according to a new poll.

But a CNN/ORC International survey released Tuesday morning also indicates a majority say the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, will help some people, with 37% saying the law, which is gradually starting to kick in, won't help anyone.

According to the poll, four in 10 say the new law will make their families worse off, while 41% believe it will have no effect.

Seventeen percent think the measure will be a good thing for themselves or their families.

The poll's release comes on the same day as a key element of the health care law takes effect, as Americans without insurance can begin enrolling in state insurance exchanges.

And it comes hours after the shutdown of the federal government courtesy of a bitter partisan battle over the new health care law.

According to the poll, 36% say they won't benefit from the new law but other families will. If you add to that the 17% who believe Obamacare will help them personally, the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it. Some 37% say no one in the country will benefit from the measure.

As the exchanges open for business, 52% say the health insurance system created by Obamacare is a disaster waiting to happen, with 45% saying the system will eventually work.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International September 27-29, with 803 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

With most components of the health care law not taking effect until 2014, many Americans still don't have a full grasp of Obamacare, and a couple of surveys from other organizations conducted in September indicated that only a minority said they knew a lot about the law.

– CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: CNN/ORC poll • Congress • Government Shutdown • Polls
  1. Corporate HR Person

There is a huge level of logic involved in this health plan. Call it what you want, but when you are sick, job or no job. You of course what the best possible care you can get. What this plan will do is put the responsibility of quality healthcare back on the shoulders of the insurance companies. Truthfully, with more insured people it would lower the cost of healthcare. This bill is not about being lazy, jobless or even having a job. Its about helping people who need it period. The funding they re fighting over is only for a period of 6 to 8 weeks.....really !!!!! Just let this issue pass and ore on more important issues. Personally, I am not going to vote for anyone who stalled this issue in the future because they are not looking after the people just themselves. 72% approve that should tell them something.

October 1, 2013 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  2. Michelle

I am fortunately one of the luckier ones who does not have to see a doctor other than the regular female checkup. In reviewing my 89 options for a healthcare plan in Tennessee, there is no obvious plan for me. It will depend on how much "I want to just give an insurance company." Then, the huge deductibles in place really are eye-popping! I am a single mother with three children who are all in college and still live with me. Now, I am not allowed to take into effect the costs of their living expenses, but my "quote" is based solely on my income. Not fair! For any plan I end up choosing, it will be like throwing money into a piggy bank that is not mine! I will pay the penalty until the water stills in this joke of healthcare options.

October 1, 2013 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  3. hrdwrknjoe

Hipocrisy is the shield of Republician fools. You say you hate socialized medicine and welfare. Why then do you suck me dry to pay for your rug rats education?? My total tax bill on 3 Florida properties runs about 28K per year with $3,900.00 going to pay for YOUR seed's education. WHY????
    My parents did not chose the welfare. I went to private pay preschool, elementary, middle school, high school and college. I do NOT want kids and never will. Now again explain to me why you and your kids are on welfare with me paying the bill and you cowards can't pitch in a few bucks to insure the poor?????

October 1, 2013 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  4. NY Repub

I work for a major hospital in NY and I was told today that our out of pocket insurance premiums will be cut in half. The HR department sited this was the direct results of the Affordable Care act. Thank you Obama for giving back to the working middle class.

October 1, 2013 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  5. Susan Bigham

I got on the Obamacare exchange and put in my salary and they wanted $486 per month for lousy bronze coverage. I put in a lower salary (40K lower) and it came up with $498 per month.

October 1, 2013 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  6. fedupwithamericanpolitics

Universal Health care and access to Health Care for self-employed people is the greatest goal of every civilized country. America is not civilized. Americans believe the wealthy insurance companies and their wall street banker stooges that only the wealthy deserve health care and that everyone else should just die. Sure, the top 1% should have health care and self employed working poeple should not. This is beyond any sort of dumbness or even greed. It is insanity. Obama though a flawed president is light years ahead the of corporate oligarchy banking republicans. America is not a free country and beacon of democracy until every american with a social security card has access to healthcare. No more Sick Americans dying so that Wall Street Bankers can profit. This is the end and the republicans know it.

October 1, 2013 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  7. Rudy NYC

MasterWooten

Fact is RudyNYC Congres, the President, unions and some others ARE exempt from Obamacare, doesn't matter how they got there, they just are therefore questioning the soundness of Obamacare is STILL a relevant line of inquiry!
    -------------
    That is not a fact. It's a false talking point. The law required that they carry two health insurance policies. The facts are that they all have health care coverage, which means they are not being exempted from the ACA.

October 1, 2013 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  8. GOP = Greed Over People

Yes, my insurance went from 363/mo with a 10,000 deductible, 2 annual office visits to 130/mo no 10,000 deductible, and unlimited doctor's visits at the Silver level.

That is a 64% DECREASE in my monthly premium and better care!

It has definitely helped me. Just waiting for 1/1/2014 for the new policy to take affect.

October 1, 2013 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  9. ComeOnNow

So...I work for a small company with 150 employees. Our health care costs have not gone up in the past 3 years. We have essentially been flat. This year, during the ObamaCare scare, they are going up only 3%. If you are full-time you can get coverage that costs about $400 for a family on a reasonable plan that provides good coverage.

We have done our 'pay or play' calculation and it is cheaper for us to keep our health coverage for employees, rather than pay the penalty. There is no incentive to the company to dump our plan.

As one of the people responsible for buying our health plan for the company, I can say that I am in the detail. I understand the Affordable Care Act. I can see nothing that says this is a bad deal for our company.

As a small business with a reasonable number of employees, I would love to understand what others are seeing. Seems to be a non-event for us....

October 1, 2013 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  10. kojackson

when you rob peter to pay paul, you are always going to have the support of paul.

October 1, 2013 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  11. Name

My health insurance is going up. Mu employer said we're getting some sort of tax credit to help. I think its wrong that Obama Care is forcing Americans to have health insurance. Some Americans dont have health insurance by choice.

October 1, 2013 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  12. Brad

Instead of addressing the wrongfully high cost of healthcare, they make everyone with a job pay more to cover those who can't pay. I really wish they would have addressed the high cost in the first place rather than make people like me lower my standard of living.

October 1, 2013 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  13. MLUCK

Obamacare is a joke, I am middle class and yes I have looked into what my premiums would now go to. They will double! This only helps the people who can't pay for their insurance, while raising rates on all who can. Better yet, let's make them pay a penalty for not getting healthcare, hello they couldn't pay in the first place. That cost will be passed on again to those who can pay. Only look to Canada, they tax everything so much to pay for there health care. Get ready the poor will still be poor end the end.

October 1, 2013 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  14. bryan

CNN instead of taking polls of uninformed peoples opinion why don’t you actually try and inform people instead of taking a middle of the road "we cant tell lies from truth" stance. Just because some politician, party, or worse yet uninformed citizen says it does not make it true. CNN is a news organization correct ? You will forgive me because it is looking more and more like an entertainment organization. Why don’t you try and do some research about the costs and how many people will benefit, instead of asking the electorate that you have supposed to been informing. IF you think you have then this poll should tell you have failed. You have had three years to inform and do your research are you afraid you will alienate some viewers by telling the truth.

October 1, 2013 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  15. J in NJ

Why do I keep seeing people say the ACA has been great when it has not even gone into effect yet? It could not have possibly helped you last week, last month or last year. The exchanges just started today!

October 1, 2013 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  16. Soprano1

Just weighing in from Alabama – my family will greatly benefit under Obamacare, and we – from my grandparents all the way to my youngest child – are very thankful for it. We are all already insured, either privately or through our employers, but the provisions mandated in the new law now ensure the quality of our healthcare, instead of leaving our healthcare solely in the hands of insurance companies. Now, if our lovely state could just elect a Governor who could employ basic logic and do what's best for the healthcare of the citizens of Alabama...we'd be in business.

October 1, 2013 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  17. us1000

eventually, obamacare will become popular and will become truly affordable, once enrollment exceeds. both rich and poor and republicans and democrats will join obamacare.

October 1, 2013 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  18. Mike

GOP Greed over people: What kind of lousy insurance were you paying for that had a $10,000 deductible? That is ridiculous.

October 1, 2013 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  19. Bamabegone!

"Choice" in Obamacare? What choice!! You either buy it OR you get socked with a huge escalating penalty starting in 2014. In the meantime, two of the biggest factors in the health care dilemma remain: illegals and malpractice claims/lawyers! Yeah, some choice! So typical of everything obama.

October 1, 2013 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  20. yankeemon90

Hopefully, registration will be low, and this program can fail. I certainly will not be buying anything related to these plans, that's for sure.

October 1, 2013 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  21. GOP = Greed Over People

Folks in Congress are NOT exempt from ACA, that is a false talking point from inside the GOP echo chamber.

All of Congress and aides prior to today received a 75% subsidy to pay for health insurance.

Today, all of Congress and aides will still get the 75% subsidy and will have to buy the health insurance on the exchange. The amount of the subsidy is being discussed by the TP terrorists as part of the hostage negoiations!

You can have your own opinion, but not your own set of Fox facts.

October 1, 2013 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  22. Tigerflower

I'm not sure what good it will do for the working poor to have health insurance if they can't afford to use it. The plans that are considered "affordable" have such high deductibles they won't even be able to visit a clinic when they're sick. Everything other than the low income charity clinic in my area at least, require copays at time of visit. What low income person has $3.000 on hand to pay for a doctor's visit? Even if you consider it as catastrophic insurance and never plan to use it for general illness or maintenance care, it's still going to leave those on the bottom end with huge bills that they can't pay. Can't pay= collections, bankruptcy, garnishment etc etc. It won't be much better than where they were without it. The only party to benefit are the insurance companies that collect the premiums for policys people can't afford to use. I just don't get it.

October 1, 2013 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  23. Malory Archer

Susan Bigham

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You must be making really decent $$$ if your monthly premiums would be that high. Prior to today, if I didn't already have coverage, my premiums JUST FOR MYSELF would have been at least $7500 a year as I have a preexisting condition. I wouldn't qualify for subsidies, but if I were choosing a silver plan it would cost $2480 a year.

October 1, 2013 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  24. John

My health care went up. Reading the other post. Some people's care went down and some went up.
    Obama really thought this out didn't he...

October 1, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  25. Malory Archer

Why do I keep seeing people say the ACA has been "a train wreck" when it has not even gone into effect yet? It could not have possibly hurt you last week, last month or last year. The exchanges just started today!

October 1, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |