CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?
October 1st, 2013
1 year ago

CNN Poll: Will Obamacare help you?

Less than one in five Americans say their families will be better off under the new health care law, according to a new poll.

But a CNN/ORC International survey released Tuesday morning also indicates a majority say the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, will help some people, with 37% saying the law, which is gradually starting to kick in, won't help anyone.

Seventeen percent think the measure will be a good thing for themselves or their families.

The poll's release comes on the same day as a key element of the health care law takes effect, as Americans without insurance can begin enrolling in state insurance exchanges.

And it comes hours after the shutdown of the federal government courtesy of a bitter partisan battle over the new health care law.

According to the poll, 36% say they won't benefit from the new law but other families will. If you add to that the 17% who believe Obamacare will help them personally, the survey indicates that most Americans see some good coming from it. Some 37% say no one in the country will benefit from the measure.

As the exchanges open for business, 52% say the health insurance system created by Obamacare is a disaster waiting to happen, with 45% saying the system will eventually work.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International September 27-29, with 803 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

With most components of the health care law not taking effect until 2014, many Americans still don't have a full grasp of Obamacare, and a couple of surveys from other organizations conducted in September indicated that only a minority said they knew a lot about the law.

– CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: CNN/ORC poll • Congress • Government Shutdown • Polls
  1. Andrea

This will help people like me. I don't have a preexisting condition, but because of some screw up by my provider last year, my insurance THOUGHT I did, and denied me services. Seven months later, the problem has finally been solved. Only now, it doesn't matter if I have a preexisting condition; I can get coverage again because of the Affordable Care Act. Subsidies will also help lower the cost since I'm not 'rollin' in the dough'.

October 1, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  2. Kiki

The american people need to stand up the gop/tea party. They asked to delay the law for a year for the passage of a resolution for only six weeks. If you were the president and the democrats would you have taken the deal? I don't think so. This is their way to gut it down. I believe it's that we educate ourselves about politics and see the game the goptea is playing. Clear and simple!

October 1, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  3. nickiead

Another nothing poll ,of the generally misinformed public. In actuality, the law will benefit almost everyone. As I understand it, close to 100 million people (in USA) could be classified as having a preexisting condition.The budget office ( a neutral body) has concluded that over the next 10 years the ACA will reduce overall medical costs by hundreds of billions of dollars. If you only look as far as your nose...it might not benefit you this instant but, in the long run it will, significantly. Children are now covered by their parents insurance until they are 26...another great benefit. No lifetime maximum on benefits anotherwords, if necessary you can receive unlimited medical care.Wake up and examine the law...if your personal premiums are rising....your workplace is lying to you about why. Quit being ignorant and selfish....we live in a society, not separate caves.

October 1, 2013 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. mdalebass

Hey CNN, here's an idea. Stop calling it Obamacare. Call it what it is - healthcare. Maybe then people will stop being so partisan about something that is so basic to life.

October 1, 2013 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  5. Malory Archer

Tigerflower

What low income person has $3.000 on hand to pay for a doctor's visit?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When have you EVER paid $3k for a routine doctor visit?

October 1, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  6. keri scaggs

This isn't about "throwing a few bucks toward the poor". That was what Medicare/Medicaid was supposed to cover, and I pay a tax for that every April due to being self-employed. I do not use our healthcare system, as it has helped to bury 50% of my family. I pay out of pocket for alternative treatment, healthy food and a gym. That has been my insurance, and a better investment than ridiculously high premiums and deductibles, which I will never use. For the next year or two, I will pay less in a fine than I will for a premium. So, fine me. And, if I struggle to afford it and am single, what does it do to others, especially families? People I know who have struggled with medical bills, can't add another $1200 into their budget.

October 1, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  7. GOP = Greed Over People

"Some Americans dont have health insurance by choice."

Unfortunately, those of us who have insurance, and have had to pick up the bill for these deadbeats when they end up in the ER, are no longer going to have to foot the bills of the deadbeats, through higher premiums.

October 1, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Cuss

Romneycare is working in Massachusetts, and it works there, and the majority there would not go back. The Affordable Care Act is based on the Massachusetts model, at the insistence of the Republicans that are now trying to repeal the ACA. It's all about political grandstanding by a few in the House. ACA is the law, is exempt from defunding, which the Tea Party Republicans have attempted, unsuccessfully, more than 40 times to do.

October 1, 2013 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  9. GOP = Greed Over People

It is BCBS of GA the ONLY policy I could find!

Any more questions?

October 1, 2013 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  10. TheBigT

This will be great. Hundreds of thousands of elderly people will be conselled into ending their life early. That will mean more social security for the rest of us.
    By the way, I was being sarcastic. If anybody doesn't know that this provision is in Obamacare, you haven't read what's all in it then. I don't believe in euthenasia, so putting this into law was unGodly.

October 1, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  11. mikki21

So what the poll is saying is that majority of the U.S. is still confused and basing their opinions on what others, (Republican paid for commercials), say? Its sad, our motto should be "America, home of the non-thinkers!"

October 1, 2013 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  12. shawn

"According to the poll, four in 10 say the new law will make their families worse off, while 41% believe it will have no effect."
    That's a really cute way of hiding the fact that 81% of Americans don't want this monstrosity. It will not make you better off and has no hope of working as intended despite the most zealous defense of the Democratic party. It's been a lie from the start. American's who needed help always had the Oppurtunity to walk into a hospital and get treated as a 'cash customer' and get billed for it later. They would always get the help they needed even without insurance, I know I work in an E.R. We treat everyone no matter what, its the law or was now Obamacare puts a tax officer in the door to make sure you have insurance before you walk through, and if you don't they cite you, before you get help. This is madness.

October 1, 2013 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  13. alivebecauseofhealthinsurance

I live in Massachusetts and, about 10 years ago, being "forced" to have health insurance saved my life and my family's hard earned savings.

October 1, 2013 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  14. Jyothi, MO

Obamacare would help American people in the long run though it may make little or no difference to those who are either enjoying good health or those with employer-provided good health insurance. If you ever had to delay a regular health checkup or a surgery because you had no health insurance, you would love the new health care plan.

October 1, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  15. Peoples State of Illinois

The paid schills on here are obvious, as are their lies.

October 1, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. Malory Archer

John

My health care went up. Reading the other post. Some people's care went down and some went up.
    Obama really thought this out didn't he...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you live in a red state your premiums probably did go up, but you can thank your state government for their collective temper tantrum. Here in Florida our illustrious governor and his merry band of sychophants passed legislation recently that allows insurance companies to increase premiums on policies written after the 2010 passage of the ACA by as much as they want, whenever they want. And they ADMIT they did so for the sole purpose of making Floridians HATE "Obamacare" even though Florida isn't even participating!

They really thought that out didn't they...

October 1, 2013 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  17. GOP = Greed Over People

Those are NOT 'high deductibles" those are annual out of pocket expense, which lessens with the level of insurance chosen, big difference, trust me!

Bronze is 60/40 insurance to individual
    Silver is 70/30, Gold is 80/20 and Platinum is 90/10, obviously, as in all things in life, the less you pay per visit the higher the monthly premium.

October 1, 2013 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  18. MTJ

PLEASE, consider principle and not just practicality when evaluating the value and 'rightness' of a government-mandated healthcare system. Whether ObamaCare is better or worse for you personally (and that really shouldn't be the only practical factor), what sense does it make to have governed mandates like this one in a free country like America? It's a dangerous, slippery slope and has no place here. Yes we need to watch out for each other as well as ourselves, and make healthcare workable, but government is never going to provide a real solution (it never has been). government can only shift money around and add bureacracy (paperwork, middlemen, etc...meaning further expense overall). Real solutions happen at the root, not with this bandaid stuff patched on top.

October 1, 2013 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  19. SarahD

You can't simply look at Obamacare alone. It is a JOBS Killer! And that will help none...

October 1, 2013 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  20. dh

It is very obvious people have zero clue about aca.
    Congress and the president are not elig for aca as they all already have work sponsored health insur.
    Aca is only for people who do not have health insur.
    All the exchanges on your states site consist of priv insur you are familiar with. You chose one that fits your budget and benefit level.
    One gentleman is mixing up the terms deductiable, co-insurance and maximum out of pocket. People mixed up that kind of info long before aca. Obviously we all have a lot to learn.
    This is a huge undertaking to try and reduce medical cost plus give basic health coverage to all americans.

October 1, 2013 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  21. Honest and Real

I used to believe the notion that people were mostly good, but since this president took office and started trying to get healthcare to all of our citizens I QUICKLY found out that is nowhere near the case. We are showing ourselves to be a bunch of wining, selfish, individuals only caring about what is BEST for ourselves and not what is good for everyone.

October 1, 2013 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  22. Malory Archer

TheBigT

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since you've OBVIOUSLY read it and know SOOOOO much about it, howsabout you cite the page and section number of the document covering "euthenasia" so we can all see for ourselves?

October 1, 2013 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  23. Craig Ramirez

Fire all of them!1

October 1, 2013 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  24. Roger

ACA will help my family. I am self-employed and we have a 20 year old autistic son. Physically, he is the healthiest one in the family. He doesn't smoke, never will. He runs for exercise and he is highly informed on proper nutrition and good health habits. However, since he is diagnosed autistic, no one will sell us healthcare for him. I am more then willing to pay my fair share, but no company will even sell it to me! And we just want catastrophic coverage!

Without ACA, if my son is in a bad car accident or gets cancer or something, we will be financially ruined.

October 1, 2013 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  25. Tigerflower

Mallory until you hit the deductible you're paying CASH. Up front. And it absolutely depends on what you're having done. My last cancer checkup included a cat scan and blood work. The point being that if you can't write a check for all this under the new law it's not going to happen until you have the cash in the bank to pay out of pocket. I think the going rate for just a bare bones 15 min check up around here is $150. If you're living on minimum wage how affordable is that? And that doesn't include medicine, tests or treatment, just a little chat with the doc. Universal care is a great idea. We really need it. This plan isn't affordable for many of the ones it was really intended to help.

October 1, 2013 10:12 am at 10:12 am |