October 3rd, 2013
10 months ago

8 things Wendy Davis has going for her in Texas governor's race

(CNN) – Wendy Davis is expected to go public Thursday with some news that everyone in politics already knows: She's running for governor of Texas.

The state senator from Fort Worth electrified Democrats in June by slipping on a pair of pink Mizunos and a back brace to stage a dramatic 11-hour filibuster of a Republican bill that drastically scaled back abortion rights in the state. Never mind that the bill eventually passed in a special legislative session: Democrats around the country were in full swoon mode.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2014 • Texas • Wendy Davis
  1. Guygyl

Texas–turn into DEMOCRATIC. GOP IS SABOTAGING THIS NATION LIKE AL QUEDA.

October 3, 2013 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  2. Rick McDaniel

Nothing but the Dem Socialist Party machine. I don't think that is going to work in TX.

October 3, 2013 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  3. Data Driven

I would add a 9th thing that Davis has going for her: the nuclear fallout from the national GOP's hissy fit about the debt ceiling. The media is no longer able to NOT report how this whole crisis has been manufactured by the "tea party" caucus within the House. This creates an added layer of toxicity for any Republican for the next cycle or two. I think just being a Republican knocks a candidate back by about 5 points.

But it will be very, very tough for Davis. All of the ducks will have to align smartly in a row for her to sneak this one out. Her opponent looks formidable. Her chances become considerably brighter, however, if the "tea party" candidate Medina decides to run, thereby ciphoning votes away from Greg Abbott. I would imagine that the state GOP apparatus and the RNC will bribe Medina not to run.

October 3, 2013 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  4. the hippies were right

I know Texas looks backwards to the rest of the country, but believe me, almost half of us are liberals. We just haven't been able to get rid of Perry. This lady could change the perception of my state from backwards rednecks to intelligent progressives. If Abbott wins, I am outta here!

October 3, 2013 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  5. Anonymous

One thing for sure will happen. It will get nasty.
    I hear Greg Abott is farther right than Perry. He has said "I go into the office, sue President Obama, then go home".
    He told a Freedomworks Summit that he has sued the federal government, meaning Obama, 28 times, to the tune
    of 4M cost to the taxpayers, while suing Bush a grand total of 3 times.
    Yep, he's a winner for the hard righters and they will stop at nothing to elect him.
    Hope she has very thick skin........

October 3, 2013 09:34 am at 9:34 am |