October 3rd, 2013
1 year ago

Government shutdown: GOP moderates huddle as conservatives set agenda

Washington (CNN) – A small but growing group of House Republicans is increasingly worried about the fallout from the government shutdown and say it's time for Speaker John Boehner to allow a simple vote on a spending bill.

Defunding Obamacare can wait for now, they say.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Congress • Government Shutdown
  1. Regular American

I wonder how liberals here are going to paint spending money during the shut down to fence off open memorials in DC? To close a park that receives no monetary support from the government to begin with! Democrats made this mess by their do nothing attitude over the past months by failing to work on their appropriations bills. The fact that Obama has changed the health care law numerous times while bypassing congress, makes it easier to understand that the GOP needed to draw a line. Democrats have been unwilling to negotiate on anything, acting like a spoiled and arrogant child.

October 3, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  2. Lynda/Minnesota

"This development of GOP moderates standing up to be counted is a positive, since solving our problems is not about ideology, its about actually solving them together."

I agree with you Tom. Perhaps I was too harsh in my own comment, but I am frustrated that moderates haven't stood up these past few years in a manner I know they are capable of. I ask nothing more than moderates start being counted and do what is necessary to stop the idiocy of what has become of the Republican party. That I give them credit for trying to do so now is not to be understated and I do applaud to a small extent their newest efforts of trying to finally group together and be heard.

October 3, 2013 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  3. Data Driven

@Rudy NYC,

"Where has that Senator Cruz been hiding?"

In plain sight. Even the House GOPhers admit in this article that Cruz, and not Boehner, is running the show over there.

Interesting Constitutional factoid: Senator Cruz COULD be Speaker of the House. Nowhere in the Constitution does it stipulate that House Speaker needs to be an actual member of the House. I wonder why House GOPhers don't make Cruz Speaker in name as well as in reality.

October 3, 2013 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  4. Lynda/Minnesota

I think that the term "slimdown" speaks volumes about the Tea Party's intentions. They like this way, and want it to be permanent.

Indeed, Rudy. I saw that coming a mile away. Soon Mr. Boehner can brag he "got 100% of what he wanted". And with the help of FOX News, he might just be able to sell it. To be clear, I am fast running out of patience with politics. This is sickening ... to say the least. And I COULD say so much more.

October 3, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  5. Malory Archer

Steve

Republicans have shut down the government; they're prepared to cause another debt-ceiling crisis and crash the economy on purpose unless a laundry list of ridiculous demands are met; they've probably killed immigration reform; they refuse to even consider a jobs bill; they've probably killed efforts to reduce gun violence; they're desperately trying to take food away from poor families; and they're on a mindless crusade to take away Americans' health care benefits.

What, exactly, might their 2014 pitch look like?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If they're allowed to hold the country hostage until they get their way this time around, you can kiss Social Security & Medicare goodbye – and don't EVEN think you're gonna get all that $$$ you and your employers on your behalf have contributed throughout your working life! The rethugs need to hand that pot of cash and the Postal Service pension fund (with coffers full enough to pay beneficiaries who aren't even born yet for the next 75 years) over to their owners who won't be happy until we're all living their Dickensian fantasy.

October 3, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  6. rs

The GOP has lost. It cannot and will not be allowed to advance its wackadoodle agendas by hyjacking the government. There are ways for them to "fix" the ACA (if that is what they really wanted, and now that cash has been exchanged and contracts signed, that time is likely passed), the roadmap to that is in the Constitution, I would recommend Mr. Boehner, his boss Mr. Cruz, and Mr. McConnell read it. What they are doing however, is not in the Constitution- anywhere. This is a tin-pot attempt at a coup de tat, that they must not get away with or go unpunished for perpetrating (again).
    The GOP claims to revere the Constitution, the Founding Fathers and the History of our great nation. All well and good. I hope they see the post-Reagan GOP's role for what it is: hyper radicalism, unconstitutional law and blatant anti-Americanism.
    76% of Americans are against the shutdown, and a majority of those see the rightful culprit. The GOP should ponder that little reality as well.

October 3, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  7. Randy, San Francisco

Isn't "GOP moderate" an oxymoron? Didn't they complete the purge of moderates in the GOP by the end of the Bush administration?

October 3, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  8. rs

Rick McDaniel

Their are no patriots, in the moderates. They are no better than the Dem socialists that seek to establish a dictatorship in America.
    __________________________
    When I think about this problem- you step right up to the plate. You hate the government, you hate the President and your party is partaking in some very un-Constitutional, very nearly treasonous behavior- and THAT defines "patriot" to you.
    You are just un-educated, overly radical rabble. Our nation and the American peoople do not see al Qaeda wannabees as "patriots".

October 3, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  9. Hector Slagg

Oh, My,
    The sky is falling, the sky is falling! We need to pass this Stimulus Bill now! We can't afford to wait, we need to pass this Bill so we can see what's in it. There are Shovel Ready Jobs out there. Just pass this Bill! This "Putin" ? Obama Care thing is just a bump in the road, it will pass. We will De-Fund Obama Care later, we need to open the Government back up. People are starving! god you Liberal's make me sick. After 80 plus years of Big Liberal Programs we are is worse shape than the 1930's. After all the big programs everything was supposed to be fixed. WHAT HAPPENED? You want to go down that path again? GET RID OF OBAMA CARE ! Extend the Bush Tax Cuts for another 10 years. Or be prepared to sink further down the Totum Pole.

October 3, 2013 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  10. Sniffit

In todays episode of "Fun with Unnoticed Open Mics," McConnell and Randroid discuss their talking point messaging games and their delusions that the GOP/Teatrolls can "win" this shutdown battle and come out on top in the public eye:

"I just did CNN and I just go over and over again 'We're willing to compromise. We're willing to negotiate.' I think... I don't think they poll tested we won't negotiate. I think it's awful for them to say that over and over again," Paul said.
    "Yeah, I do too and I, and I just came back from that two hour meeting with them and that, and that was basically the same view privately as it was publicly," McConnell agreed.

Paul added, "I think if we keep saying, 'We wanted to defund it. We fought for that and that we're willing to compromise on this', I think they can't, we're gonna, I think... well, I know we don't want to be here, but we're gonna win this, I think."

October 3, 2013 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  11. The Real Tom Paine

-Rick McDaniel

**************
    Well, since your definition of patriotism has included trashing Abe Lincoln and endorsing the right of states to secede, I would rather be a moderate.

October 3, 2013 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  12. rs

If the GOP wants to try to "negotiate" its way out of its somewhat illegal position- hoping it might still lever some action against the ACA, I think the Democrats need some negtiation of their own. I think prices like: National background checks, registration and licensing for all gun buyers should be one item to be passed before we let the GOP out of their little blunder. Pehaps a thorough Immigration Reform Bill needs to be passed first. Recinding the Bush tax cuts for the rich should be on the table- or perhaps the upper tax bracket Reagan left office with. Perhaps we could put the dagger through the Canadian pipeline scam too.

See Republicans? That could be the new world you are creating in American politics by illegally shutting down the government and holding the economic recovery hostage.

There is always jail, too.

October 3, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  13. Tampa Tim

Please post the names of the 80 tea baggers who wrote a letter demanding a government shut down.

October 3, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |