October 4th, 2013
12 months ago

R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Conservatives say they need it in shutdown debate

Washington (CNN) - The great government shutdown of 2013 is about Obamacare and budget priorities, but it also is about respect.

In short, conservative House Republicans don't think they get enough of it from President Barack Obama and the Senate.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Congress • Government Shutdown
  1. smith

This shutdown is both the dems and the gop`s fault. They are both oin wrong here. Alot libs on here need to put to rest their bias views and come to reality. At the moment bothe parties are acting foolish.

October 4, 2013 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Yes,I'm singing the song right now!
    Anybody else, or are you all going to act like I'm the only one?!? LOL!

Just a little bit...just a little bit....!

October 4, 2013 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. Wake up People!

Would this be anything like the respect you and your kind refuse to show President Obama?? These people have a lot of nerve. He's supposed to show them respect when they don't show him or his wife any. He's supposed to repeal his signature law that he ran on like Mitt said he would but couldn't because he lost. This is unfreekingbelievable.

And when he doesn't he's a dictator. And when he compromises he's a wimp. It sure is hell being one of us...

October 4, 2013 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  4. Guest

Data Driven, don't read my comments as a defense of the GOP's actions. They are wrong to do this and they should stop immediately, but you don't understand why this is happening. The way districts are drawn creates a system where incumbents have nothing to fear from a primary challenge from the other party. The only threat is a challenge from further to the fringe of their own side. In national elections like for the Presidency, there is a check on this, but not for Congress. Today, Representatives are rarely replaced by someone more moderate, only someone more extreme.

For proof, look at the Republican Reps who tried to buck the Speaker this week and see who runs against them in the next election. The Democratic opponent will not be a true challenge, only the Tea Party extremist who runs will have a chance to topple them.

October 4, 2013 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  5. Pam from Iowa

Respect must be earned.....I have yet to see anything worthy of respect coming out of the Republican Party...
    It is also a 2-way street and painfully evident the GOP has no respect for American citizens.

October 4, 2013 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!
    Find out what it means to me!
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!
    [Means you take care of ME!]

October 4, 2013 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  7. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

DM4O

Find out what it means to me......lol

October 4, 2013 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  8. Data Driven

@Guest,

Fair enough about misrepresenting your political philosophy, but believe me, when it comes to this: "but you don't understand why this is happening", I do, I do.

Here in Cali, we put a pretty fair stop to it by voting in a non-partisan board to draw the district lines. An added benefit was that it got rid of state Republicans almost entirely, who had enjoyed gerrymandered districts for decades.

The rest of the U.S. should try it!

October 4, 2013 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  9. ch

I can't believe that our government dem&rep think they are above everyone else they should live on what the majority of americans do have the same insurance everyone else does I don't know as a nation what made the american people think that they deserved all the glory of a salary an insurance for the rest of there lives. as a worker now an most of my life I paid for the benifits that I am receivi;ng they came off of my pay check before I received my share. It's not a free gift I an my spouse worked for what little we do receive .

October 4, 2013 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Data Driven

@Dominican Mama for Obama,

If you haven't seen Obama's speech yesterday about "What you GET", you have simply got to see it. Most fired up speech of his entire Presidency.

Man, I'm loving this Second Term Obama!
    -------------------------------------------------
    I saw part of it on tv yesterday here at work, and you're right he was completely energized.
    I'm loving this STO myself!

October 4, 2013 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  11. bassman

An early Pew Poll showed American blamed Republican over Democrats by only 39% to 36%. Our media covered up that poll and blamed Republicans. Now we see a widening in those polls due to our media taking sides.

October 4, 2013 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Yes indeed, I think the President is done with the "bending over backwards" part of the program.
    He's going to stay in our faces -and yours GOP- via televised speeches and press conferences.
    And he's going to continue to sing like the proverbial canary....telling eveything about everyone who's being obstructive and destructive.

October 4, 2013 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Pam from Iowa

-------------------------------------------------
    It sure is starting to sound like they are going to have to BUY whatever respect they're going to get, don't it?! LOL!

October 4, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  14. Charles

Republicans are demanding that we show them respect for their disrespect. I am appalled at their brazen sense of entitlement.

October 4, 2013 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

DM4O

Find out what it means to me......lol
    -------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for not leaving me hanging out there by myself Dutch!! lol

October 4, 2013 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  16. Dixie

@ Data Driven All the Congress and Obama are guilty. They refused to even speak to eachother except to make threats and call names. It sounds like kids who have no trainning at home. We all expect better. They wait until the last second to see if they can get something done and SUPRISE it doesn't work. They don't try to work with anyone till there is a crisis. Then instead of sitting down and speaking like an educated adult they act like street thugs.

October 4, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  17. MRS CARPENTER.

Our speaker John Boehner is just spiteful of Obama and will never quit being so stubborn and fighting our elected President, Obamacare will help many people and it was voted in to pass so get over it John, one man should not be able to hold our country hostage by shutting down the Government, he is hurting his party, no republicans will get elected next time around, you hurt to many people now John, there should be a committee that is appointed by the President to settle this, the President is in charge of our country not the speaker, shameful congress right now.

October 4, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  18. freedom

@Tom Paine

This is a quote from a park ranger who is following orders by this administration (Obama):
    “It’s a cheap way to deal with the situation,” an angry Park Service ranger in Washington says of the harassment. “We’ve been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It’s disgusting.”

October 4, 2013 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  19. rick7809

Two points, First they deserve and get the same level respect that they give the President and the democrats (none).
    Second, since when does a group (Congress as a whole) with a 17% approval rating from the american public deserve much of anything.

October 4, 2013 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  20. Hector Slagg

Oh, Wow, Man,
    The Conservatives, Mostly Republician's gave the Liberal's Somewhat Democrats everything they wanted over the last 80 plus years. Actually the Conservatives were in the minority so all they could do was resist. But the Inmates/Peasants, Low Information Voter's were running the Asylum. So, if you don't like what was approved by the *** the last 80 plus years get used to it, or change it. The U.S. Constutition has been totally corrupted by the Liberal's over the last 80 plus years and is still being corrupted. The latest is Obama Care. The Liberal's have no respect for the Constutitioo. If you are looking for Easy Street it has already been sold.

October 4, 2013 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  21. eholl

They demand respect, yet they don't give any to gays and lesbians. They wouldn't know respect if it slapped them in the face.

October 4, 2013 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  22. MRS CARPENTER.

John Boehner should be impeached, he is shameful, hurting so many people and programs, our security, other countries must be laughing at us, Republican will have a hard time getting elected after this, grown up John and do the right thing. I think you should give up your position, I elected our President to lead our country, not you.

October 4, 2013 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  23. Guest

Data, you haven't gotten rid of all the Republicans. Mr. Issa comes to mind, but yes, non-partisan redistricting is essential.

October 4, 2013 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  24. kirk

Right freedom those damn Democrats trying to get a photo op, transference at its finest, continue!

October 4, 2013 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  25. MRS CARPENTER.

Loving him also, Boehner is shameful, we need to get rid of him and all that stand with him, he hasn't earned any respect with this latest issue, he will never give up going against Obama. Bull headed man.

October 4, 2013 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |