GOP floats six-week funding and debt ceiling extension
October 5th, 2013
10 months ago

GOP floats six-week funding and debt ceiling extension

(CNN) – One idea being considered to end the immediate fiscal impasse is a bill to fund the government and extend the nation's borrowing authority for six weeks, a senior Republican member of the House told CNN Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger.

The congressman agreed to speak with CNN on the condition of anonymity.

The GOP lawmaker said a committee could then be set up to negotiate the fiscal issues dividing the two parties and negotiate a plan to keep the government funded for the rest of the year without the proverbial gun to their heads.

This idea of an extension being floated among Republicans would give everyone a temporary political reprieve. It would give them a way to reopen the government but bypass the issue of tying it to a change in Obamacare, as well as avert a crisis over whether to raise the nation's debt limit by Oct. 17 when the Treasury Department has said it will run out of money to pay its bills.

The House Republican told Borger it is "unfair" to promise conservatives in the country something Republicans in Congress just cannot deliver - the defunding of Obamacare.

How much support this type of short-gap measure will garner among Republicans is unclear.

How the White House and congressional Democrats will react is also uncertain, since they have said they would only enter into negotiations about the budget once funding to reopen the government is approved, and this measure would only be a short-term fix.

Filed under: Government Shutdown • House • House Republicans • national debt
  1. Carl Hudson

Sounds like the Republicans are asking to be rescued from themselves. I'd let them squirm a little more. There is a lesson to be learned here.

October 6, 2013 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  2. noteasilyswayed

The idiots painted themselves into a corner by following in Cruz's footsteps..... now they are trying to find something, anything, to save face. In the end, Boehner will have to allow a clean CR to come to the floor and also allow an up/down vote on the debt ceiling. Extreme right wingers will lose both of these battles and hopefully learn that one should not threaten catastrophe each and every time that one does not get his way.

October 6, 2013 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  3. Clarke

Put a band aid on it and let her float for six weeks, that is some plan. Brilliant, just brilliant!

October 6, 2013 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  4. Thorgood

The government can't pay it's bills, and now it pays those it can't fund. Perhaps they should extend the same benefit to bankrupt private company employees as well?

October 6, 2013 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  5. John Riley Goldsmith

Not another debt resolution committee! The last one came up with sequestration.

October 6, 2013 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  6. Thaddeus Kozubal

Apparently the censors on this article didn't like what I had to say about Boehner. He is a jerk. He thinks that the world doesn't view his actions and tactics as childish and insane. There are so many more things I'd like to say to and about him, but they would only be censored out. So, I will just close by saying that you are the problem and not the solution.

October 6, 2013 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  7. Anonymous

Obama appears to be the bully. look at IRS, Syria, and his inability to lead . Cover up and point fingers seem to be the answers to all his inabilities.

October 6, 2013 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  8. TG

Stay in school kids. That way you can get a federal job and face unpaid furloughs every time your elected officials act like small, spoiled children.

October 6, 2013 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  9. NickD

The GOP and their insane teabaggers have realized that they made an extremely stupid mistake by destroying Americas credibility with their shennaigans, So they want to delay their treachery another 6 weeks so they can come up with better lies to use when they blame others for what they have done.

October 6, 2013 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  10. Thaddeus Kozubal

Dear Mr. Boehner: "This is no damn game." Didn't I hear you say that recently? You finally figured that out, or did someone give you that revelation? You are a very poor politician. I can't understand why the democratic party does run an opponent against you the election. I hope that is coming. You need a wake up call.

October 6, 2013 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  11. PJW

And six weeks later we're having this same discussion...the writing is on the wall. Does anyone really think that 6 weeks would be enough time to resolve the party differences??? C'mon...send a clean CR already...

October 6, 2013 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  12. JL

As expected the GOP is folding like wet tissue paper

October 6, 2013 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  13. Carl Hudson

Help! My water heater has exploded and I'm drowning. Please moderate as quickly as possible and call 911!

October 6, 2013 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  14. Jules

So happy to see that the majority is looking out for themselves and not wanting to preserve what makes America different and special.... Why don't we hear stories of people entering Russia illegally ? I dont see hoards of asians, musliums, or oppressed people fighting their way into other countries...Maybe because what America offers is just and right... Why are we becoming followers instead of leaders????? I'm not proud to be an American, we no longer stand up for our people!! We have a powerful history.. Fighting for our freedoms... But we've lost our way... I'm sad for my children and grandchildren that have to live in this "new" America!!!

October 6, 2013 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  15. winchester74

"I wasn't happy about the country being controlled by the richest one percent, but I really hate it being controlled by the dumbest one percent."

~ Andy Borowitz

October 6, 2013 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  16. mustache1

Take your six wweeks and shove it where the sun don't shine!

October 6, 2013 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  17. z2cents

where is Teddy ntjob Cruz's plan...is he still thinking he can pepeal obamacare.

October 6, 2013 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  18. Carl Hudson

I believe a great pestilence will soon envelop the world and only I hold the secret to prevent the death of millions. Please moderate this information so that I may proceed with saving mankind.

October 6, 2013 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  19. Carl Hudson

I am moderated and invite my soul . . . apologies to Walt Whitman.

October 6, 2013 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  20. Carl Hudson

Oh, hell, I don't need to be moderated . . . this is too much fun.

October 6, 2013 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  21. AR

HEY I have an idea! Let's pass something so that we can keep borrowing money while we're shutdown so that we can get more money that we don't have! What could POSSIBLY go wrong??

October 6, 2013 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  22. Rick in Connecticut

I say NO to the extension of 6 more weeks with out an agreement between both parties. Let Congress and the Senate fight it out right now once and for all until an agreement emerges by force of the people. The Citizens of the USA need to become angry and disgusted enough, thus "motivated", to get up off the couch, turn off their television or computer game session and call their Congress Representatives and Senators demanding that they find a solution to this stalemate. When Americans become miserable, uncomfortable and scared enough, they will take action and stop this nonsense in Washington D.C.

October 6, 2013 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  23. Carl Hudson

I just got back from peeking into my neighbor's window. She's an attractive divorced woman in her mid-thirities who works as an office manager at Penny's. Granted her wardrobe is not stylish (she gets her clothes from her employer) , but she definitely goes elsewhere for her underwear which her window affords a breath taking view of. The next time she brings a bottle of wine over for one of my good deeds (fixing the fence, petting her dog, waving to her children) I plan to recommend we imbibe immediately. But first, of course, I will need to be moderated.

October 6, 2013 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  24. Carl Hudson

Give me a M, give me an O, give me D, give me . . . forget it!

October 6, 2013 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  25. George Daghlian

This turmoil created will cause economic and tax loss that only adds to the debt. Just as we were seeing industry start to hire and workers paying in taxes, the Republicans let the air out of the tires. It was not bad enough they ran the economy into the ditch weeks before Obama came in. There are 200 democrats and 230 Republicans in the House. How is that a ruling majority.....it is only a spoiler number.

October 6, 2013 01:30 am at 1:30 am |