Chris Christie: 'If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself'
October 11th, 2013
9 months ago

Chris Christie: 'If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself'

(CNN) - Exactly how disgusted is Chris Christie with the total lack of compromise in Washington?

"If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself," the Republican governor of New Jersey told the Philadelphia Inquirer's editorial board. The response came when Christie was asked what he would do if he was a member of the upper chamber during the current crisis.

"This is why I've never had any interest in being in a legislative body," the Philadelphia Inquirer quotes Christie as saying.

Christie, considered a likely 2016 contender for the Republican presidential nomination, is currently sailing ahead in the polls in his reelection fight with Democratic state Sen. Barbara Buono.

In the shutdown fight, Christie has strayed far from the Republican talking points on the brinksmanship between President Barack Obama and Congressional Republicans.

While no fan of Obamacare, Christie said late last month he also wasn't a fan of the Republican tactics that helped lead to the shutdown.

"I think quite frankly, to be fair, I don't think you hear responsible Republican leaders advocating a shutdown of the government," Christie told CBS News.

Christie has been equally critical of Obama, calling on the President to show more leadership than Christie has seen.

"My approach would be, as the executive, is to call in the leaders of the Congress, the legislature, whatever you're dealing with, and say we're not leaving this room until we fix this problem, because I'm the boss. I'm in charge," Christie said of the negotiations at an event for the Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation.

"No matter where the partisanship is, the failure is in people not bringing people together to get it done," added Christie.

–CNN's Bryan Koenig contributed to this report.

Filed under: Chris Christie
  1. drkent3

Problem is, the President is only the 'boss' of the Executive Branch. Congress can flip him the bird if they want (and vice-versa) – and right now that is exactly what has been going on. Even now, the President has said "No negotiations until the government is reopened" – so, the House sends him a proposal that doesn't reopen the government, just prevents us from 'defaulting'. Talk about a power play – both sides are trying to 'press their advantage'.

October 11, 2013 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  2. mary

Gov Christi has a lot to learn , this is not a dictatorship and even the President cannot hold members of congress hostage because he is the "boss" . The unruly congress must begin to act like adults and quit lying to the base about what they can and cannot do . Come out of the dream world and face reality. They lost . Its that simple

October 11, 2013 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  3. pchelp, Juneau, AK

"I don't think you hear responsible Republican leaders advocating a shutdown of the government," I think he's right-except that 'responsible' Republican leaders can't seem to lead their party. They're not advocating shutdown but they aren't doing anything to oppose it either. That's leadership?

October 11, 2013 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  4. mbona

Nice talking points Christie, but even if you are the President, you are not in charge and can't hold Congressional leaders hostage. The 3 branches of government are independent and presumably are equal in power, so how can you be in charge as the President? Only when it comes to certain things and funding government is the job of Congress...written in stone, not a political talking point

October 11, 2013 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  5. Bob

Christie is already killing himself.............one donut at a time

October 11, 2013 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  6. ThinkAgain

I doesn't look like the lap-band surgery is working out too well for Christie ... the guy's a physical wreck.

October 11, 2013 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  7. Ctrygrl

Getting a little tired of Ted and Paul getting all the headlines Chris?

October 11, 2013 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  8. yolanda

If one writes in agreement with this administration's policies the tools who edit these posts allow it to be posted. if not, no way. CNN is an embarrassment.

October 11, 2013 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  9. Hamdy

Donuts are banned in the Senate building, that's the real reason.

October 11, 2013 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  10. Just a Person...

"If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself." Everything is easier said than done. I am sure that if Christie actually held a knife to himself he would burst into tears. He would not be much better if he were in the Senate or anywhere where he has a say in matter on a national scale. He, and any politician even slightly criticizing Obama and anyone of the like, is simply trying to gain some credit with the people. Of course I am not claiming to support Obama either, as complex as the situation is on the other side of things, he is the country's figurehe- pardon me, leader. Therefore, everyone expects him to take charge and make all their worries dissolve. The fact that it has already taken everyone this long to wake up and smell the roses is quite disappointing really.

October 11, 2013 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  11. Elmer P.

Come one he didn't mean kill himself quickly. He would kill himself by eating chicken fried steak, chicken fried chicken, chicken fried bacon, chicken fried butter, chicken fried donuts, chicken fried beer, etc.

October 11, 2013 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  12. roberto

I like the part where Obama keeps saying the republicans won't reopen the government unless they get EVERYTHING they want... then says give me EVERYTHING I want.

October 11, 2013 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  13. GeneK

I grew up in NJ, so I can see how someone there might say lock everybody in one room and turn off the water and the toilets until there's a deal, but having lived in other places the past 30 years, I've learned that if you can't threaten those who refuse to stay with baseball bats, it doesn't work like it does there.

October 11, 2013 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  14. Langor1

Okay then, Christie for Senator.

October 11, 2013 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  15. srcactus

Christie is absolutely correct. Obama is at the very least 11 days late to the table. Both houses of congress are still portraying the pompous gluteus maximus

October 11, 2013 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  16. GnatB

Uhm. Pretty sure the president isn't the boss. He isn't in charge.

There are three separate branches of government. None of them are "in charge". Especially not the 1 man executive branch.

October 11, 2013 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  17. Joe Plumber

2 things :
    1) It's not funny to joke about suicide – even if you are speaking in hyperbole.

2) The president is not the "boss" of Congress. If Christie thinks he can boss around congress when he is president, he is in for a ruse awakening. Only Bruce Springsteen is the Boss!

October 11, 2013 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  18. are122

Obama is not a leader. He was not an experienced leader when first elected and being in office this long hasn't improved him. People that are not "yes" men or women disappear from his administration (like NASA administrator Michael Griffin)...or get thrown under the bus. It's his way or no way. He only likes those that always agree like Nancy Pelosi...she repeats what ever he says like a parrot on his shoulder. His absolute lack of leadership is why this country is going nowhere and has lost the respect of world leaders.

October 11, 2013 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  19. Bill from Long Island

No kidding. Christie can't say no to a hamburger, let alone Barack Obama.

October 11, 2013 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  20. Deb in MT

"Yeah, and the rethugs would acquiesce to you..."
    =======================================
    That's not a strong enough description, Malory. The GOPers would be so giddy, they'd wet themselves with excitement: the GOP/TP love that authoritarian bravado, as long as it comes from one of their own.

October 11, 2013 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  21. timelord7202

Baiting, positioning for an executive level run, or other?

Especially when Obama's history of compromise has led to anything BUT "change we can believe in". Continuing Bush tax cuts and getting virtually nothing return is hardly "compromise". Neither is getting Romneycare put onto a national level – where is the real BFD of single-payer that he was more impassioned about in 2003? Heck, Nixon almost got single-payer put through back in the early-70s... never mind continuing the patriot act, continuing the car company bailouts Bush started (the stopgap bailout of 12/2008 is not Obama's baby), etc... Obama has compromised. A lot. Even Reagan looks more liberal at times... And Obama has been very polished overall with his pleading, even during election 2012 where he said he would be willing to go more than halfway to meet Republicans on issues. Really, in an election year? Even as a trojan horse that doesn't fly...

So I'm not sure what Christie's point is.

October 11, 2013 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  22. Dina

Please no Chris Christie. We can't afford another bad president like Obama, our country will need to be put back together again, Obama has messed it up sooo bad and Christie is not the one to do it. Maybe Cruz, Ryan or Hillary – not sure yet but they have to be strong and care more about America than they do about their legacy, golf, vacations and campaigning.

October 11, 2013 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  23. Larry in Houston

Oh for crying out loud, Chris !! why would you say such a thing..... your their only chance – in 2016, everyone else has a radical agenda, unfortunately.

October 11, 2013 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  24. Wake up People!

Exactly Mallory and Sniffit. Can you imagine the backlash from the right if he did??? And the MSM would happily help them.

October 11, 2013 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  25. Name jk. Sfl. GOP CRUZ conservatives,the garbage of America.

Cruz, one term & out!!!!!

October 11, 2013 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |