Chris Christie: 'If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself'
October 11th, 2013
9 months ago

Chris Christie: 'If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself'

(CNN) - Exactly how disgusted is Chris Christie with the total lack of compromise in Washington?

"If I was in the Senate right now, I'd kill myself," the Republican governor of New Jersey told the Philadelphia Inquirer's editorial board. The response came when Christie was asked what he would do if he was a member of the upper chamber during the current crisis.

"This is why I've never had any interest in being in a legislative body," the Philadelphia Inquirer quotes Christie as saying.

Christie, considered a likely 2016 contender for the Republican presidential nomination, is currently sailing ahead in the polls in his reelection fight with Democratic state Sen. Barbara Buono.

In the shutdown fight, Christie has strayed far from the Republican talking points on the brinksmanship between President Barack Obama and Congressional Republicans.

While no fan of Obamacare, Christie said late last month he also wasn't a fan of the Republican tactics that helped lead to the shutdown.

"I think quite frankly, to be fair, I don't think you hear responsible Republican leaders advocating a shutdown of the government," Christie told CBS News.

Christie has been equally critical of Obama, calling on the President to show more leadership than Christie has seen.

"My approach would be, as the executive, is to call in the leaders of the Congress, the legislature, whatever you're dealing with, and say we're not leaving this room until we fix this problem, because I'm the boss. I'm in charge," Christie said of the negotiations at an event for the Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation.

"No matter where the partisanship is, the failure is in people not bringing people together to get it done," added Christie.

–CNN's Bryan Koenig contributed to this report.

Filed under: Chris Christie
  1. Dirt Bomb

How is it possible to bring people together when the only word they know is......NO.

October 12, 2013 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  2. US Fan

What we need now is a new party with a platform and politicians that put the country first and hopefully overshadows the Republican party (I will not say GOP because it is not grand) and eventually pushes it to oblivion. At that time, we can go back to being the world leader that we are now losing. If we cannot manage our own affairs, how can others look up to us?

October 12, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  3. Mags

What a terrible thing to say. Suicide should not be taken lightly and to make an off hand comment like that is remarkably juvenille and insensitive. He will never get my vote, Republicans need to start looking for a new candidate for 2016. And I agree that using your position of authority to bully others is wrong, do we want this kind of president? The POTUS is not a dictator Mr Christie, so you better start changing your tune if you want that nomination.

October 12, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  4. Anonymouse

Suicide isn't anything to joke about.

October 12, 2013 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  5. Patrick in Wisconsin

I would too Christi. Gee, maybe he should lead the House instead of that oompa loompa Boehner.

October 12, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  6. Terry

His obesity will kill him.

October 12, 2013 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  7. Winston Smith

What a childish statement for an elected leader. What planet are thessse people from, that behavior like this is tolerated, and rewarded?

October 12, 2013 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  8. Mtch

Yet you didn't think of killing yourself when you gave suck-azz to the Prezident after Sandy. Now all of us are OWNED by the ACA because of people like YOU!

October 12, 2013 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. Prince

I agree with Christie for them to kill themselves. I wish and hope the Republicans in the congress listen to this advise after all this has been the kind of coded message they always use to incite violence or racism. When confronted, they will say oh i misspoke, misquoted or taken out of context.

October 12, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  10. tom

Id tell harry reid to shut up he is n not t running the untied states the poeple do and do wgat they want

October 12, 2013 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  11. ProtectAmericanJobs

Clowns to the left of me – Jokers to the right – Here I am stuck in the middle with you

Wouldn't it be great if Our Elected Leaders Actually Started Working Together as AMERICANS for AMERICANS and AMERICA, instead of just bickering, stalling and posturing for the next election as democrats and republicans/tea-whatevers? Because the American People have had it with this unproductive BS! The way that both parties having been operating for years just stinks! Neither party has really been looking out for the best interests of the US Citizens who elect them and who they're supposed to represent.

It shouldn't be all about Democrats or Republicans or Tea-whatevers! It should be about Americans, especially our elected officials, doing the right thing for our country and its citizens. All the single-minded, left versus right, ideological one dimensional bull has got to go!

Both parties have sold out the bulk of the American citizens, who they're supposed to represent, by allowing the incursion of illegal aliens and the "out-sourcing" floodgates to open wider and wider without taking any sensible measures to stem the tide. Our leaders are elected by the Citizens of the United States of America to represent the interests of those citizens and the country itself. They are NOT elected by the Global Market Place or foreign citizens!

The Citizens of the United States of America need our elected leaders from both parties to start working together to actually start trying to fix the real problems in our country like "out-sourcing", illegal immigration, the out of control costs of health care insurance and our reliance on foreign fuel. Fix them together as Americans! – Because united we'll stand, but divided we'll fall.

October 12, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. james

Oy. y cant we fix the spending problems and stop the name calling

October 12, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  13. KWRegan

Gov. Christie is simply being accurate. We already know Congressmen have been hitting the booze. Christie would add to that a buncha dozen-Cronut boxes, for a zippy R.I.P.

October 12, 2013 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  14. imjustsaying

Many politicians silently admit, political positioning is difficult when some persons are 100% against anything Obama. Some of the righ wing-nuts kept children home from school to keep them from hearing Obama lies about going to school and working hard; then going to college to get higher paying jobs and enjoy the american dream. Even the first lady got push back from the righties, when she said drink water. I might feel sorry for them; if the GOP had not brought this mess upon themselves,

October 12, 2013 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  15. O J Rodriguez

What a leader? If it doesn't go his way, he either bullies his adversaries or kills himself. The NRA would probably provide the weapon free of charge.

October 12, 2013 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  16. Michael Benjamin

Right, Fat Boy is going to keep them all locked up until they reach a deal. Give me a break!

October 12, 2013 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  17. Jack

You can't do anything when one group won't compromise at all!

October 12, 2013 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  18. Bill Robbins

Moderate This!

October 13, 2013 05:41 am at 5:41 am |
  19. Red

He's not himself sometimes unless he has had seventy two dozen Whitecastle's.

October 13, 2013 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  20. 2kobserver

I've never cared for republicans or their rhetoric but Chris Christie is someone I can get behind, no pun intended. Rather you're a democrat or republican the truth is the truth and this man speak from the heart. He surely has my vote of confidence.

October 13, 2013 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  21. Len Safhay

Christie for Senator!

October 13, 2013 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  22. kentkeith

Lets face it unless we as a nation dont start paying attention to what we spend our money on we will never get our spending under control like the war on drugs 60 billion dollers spent each year 40 billion spent trying to get rid of pot and most states decriminlizing but try to get your local sherriffs dept to let go of the money they recive and listen to them complaine how meny roads to noware have been built the list gos on and on

October 13, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  23. Ram Riva

Interesting that Gov Christie only mentioned the Senate and not the House.....so if he were a member of today's House of Representatives...he'll be a very proud member......so it seems by his comment

October 13, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  24. carrotroot

Christie runs a state, fortunately for him he has a legislature run by sane Democrats. The President has to deal with nihilistic people in the house and Senate who are apparently running the show in the Republican party.

October 13, 2013 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  25. sammy750

I wish the Tea Party would say and do that, instead of destroying the nation and people

October 13, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |