October 11th, 2013
9 months ago

Mitt Romney gets his car elevator

(CNN) – Former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney cleared a final hurdle Friday in building a new house in California, a house that will include a four-car garage with an elevator for the vehicles.

Romney had already gotten zoning permission from the city of San Diego to demolish the 3,100 square foot home he owns in the La Jolla neighborhood and erect an 11,000 square foot mansion in its place. Plans for the home were put on hold until after the 2012 election.

A neighbor had appealed the city's decision to the California Coastal Commission. He argued in commission filings that the new home would have exceeded zoning limits that say square footage cannot exceed a certain calculation based on acreage of the plot of land the house sits on.

The Coastal Commission rejected that appeal Friday. Barring a lawsuit, construction can now move forward, according to commission spokesperson Sarah Christie.

Romney, the multimillionaire former governor of Massachusetts, drew significant heat from his opponents during the 2012 election for his wealth. They charged that Romney's estimated $250 million fortune put him out of touch with average Americans and a car elevator crystallized that message for many.

–CNN's Bryan Koenig and Chuck Johnston contributed to this report.

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. Dina

I wish we had Romney as president today. That man may be rich but he cared, he wasn't running for fame. Obama is so out of touch with America and that is why America has fallen apart, the man does not know how to do anything but to campaign. He does not know how to negotiate and lead. He fooled alot of people. Romney would have been a real leader, a real president. Shame on us.

October 11, 2013 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  2. Cuthbert Allgood

People will get all uptight and offended at Romney being able to afford what they can't, but I love the idea of a car elevator. I wish I could have one. Someday, baby. someday.

October 11, 2013 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  3. Larry in Houston

you'd think he'd know better – than to run for the p o t u s ...... that's like telling Bill Gates or Warren Buffett to run for our commander in chief. Oh Well, at least he admits the fact that he got to meet & talk to a lot of people around the country, during his campaign.

October 11, 2013 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  4. Cheerios

So what? I don't have a problem whatsoever about how the Romneys spend their OWN money. They can build a ferris wheel for all I care. What I DO have a problem with, is Obama and Co. taking MY money and giving it to his Union supporters and Obama phone recipients.

October 11, 2013 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  5. Victor Maffei

Wow, if he ever runs again, I'll suggest he promises a garage in the sky and a car elevator for all. Well, I'm sure he'll want to start with a certain percentage. Know what I'm sayin!!!

October 11, 2013 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  6. Tony

Good for him. Sounds like a cool and efficient use of space...Why is this news?

October 11, 2013 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  7. Alan Baumgarten

California has more multimillionaires than Louisiana has ducks. Take a drive around La Jolla or Newport Beach or Beverly Hills or even Napa Valley and count the number of homes that are beyond the means of ordinary folks. Only 4 cars? Jay Leno's garage holds dozens. How many ordinary folks follow his shows? Mitt's fortune is pocket change to Oprah's, and her numerous stately mansions are far grander than Mitt's modest 11K sq ft home, yet how many regular people tune in to her programs and subscribe to her magazines? And why is any of this this news?

October 11, 2013 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  8. Kathy

I mean, seriously, did anyone ever think he wouldn't get this thing. -– Don't forget - MONEY TALKS.

October 11, 2013 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  9. Arathct

Woh! Romney is building his own private white house! Money can do wonders but alas ...could not grab those 40% or so.

October 11, 2013 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  10. sally

It's time Romney owned up to what he really is....a very rich man who can even afford elevators for his cars. He was right not to get those elevators before the election...they are a very big turn-off for people struggling to pay their bills. No doubt, the elevators would have been a very big campaign liability!!!

October 11, 2013 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  11. tony

You can't be a "Good Samaritan" to anyonewhen you fly over the poor victims of road crimes at 30,000 ft in the tax deductible corporate jet.

October 11, 2013 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  12. apw

Whats wrong with a car elevator....not a big deal...just a platform that you drive onto and it lifts the car up.....if its the only way he can comply with zoning regulations...then thats what he has to do.. I personally would love a car elevator for my collection..

October 11, 2013 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  13. KC Yankee

Can you believe this guy was actually a serious contender for president of the United Snakes of America? Sometimes I just pinch myself to see if I'm actually alive or if I'm lost in some parallel universe where nothing makes any sense.

October 11, 2013 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  14. hn

Beats a white house gig any day..

October 11, 2013 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  15. LeRoy Johnson

If I could afford it, I'd install a car elevator too!

October 11, 2013 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  16. jerry

His wealth isnt the problem. His obtaining that welath via firing Americans and hiring foreigners in their place to make money was the issue.

October 11, 2013 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  17. M.W

Who cares what he spends his money on as long as its not hurting others? Its disgusting to think anyone in the U.S finds this new worthy.

October 11, 2013 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  18. Mike in SA

Good for him.

October 11, 2013 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  19. Kay

It would have been nice to have a President that knows how to make money, instead of just spending it. We lost our chance.

October 11, 2013 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  20. Bob

Never really had that much exposure to a Mormon personality until I had an overdose of Romney. If he is what their religion represents, I hope to keep that exposure to a minimum.

October 11, 2013 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  21. Sam

I wasn't a fan or anything, but he's a private citizen now, just leave the man alone.

October 11, 2013 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  22. Thomas

I love it how all the right wing nuts posting here put down the Great State of California .

I guess Romney knows something they don't !

Go Chargers !

October 11, 2013 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  23. CommonSense

Slick Mitt gets his car elevator ... who cares?

October 11, 2013 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  24. Tumbleweed

Oh gee. He's successful. How unsocialistic/communistic and Obamation. Too bad he didn't win the election. We'd be out of this financial mess by now. Oh, I forgot, it's still George Bush's fault – um hum.

October 11, 2013 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  25. Mike

It's amazing what you can get away with just because of who you are.

October 11, 2013 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |