Malala confronts Obama
October 11th, 2013
10 months ago

Malala confronts Obama

Washington (CNN) - The "Bravest Girl in the World" has stood up to President Barack Obama.

Malala Yousafzai, the 16-year-old shot by the Taliban for promoting girl's education in her native Pakistan, confronted Obama at the White House on Friday about U.S. drone strikes.

In a meeting that included first lady Michelle Obama, the young activist challenged one of Obama's premier counterterrorism strategies.

"I also expressed my concerns that drone attacks are fueling terrorism," she said in a statement released today. "Innocent victims are killed in these acts, and they lead to resentment among the Pakistani people. If we refocus efforts on education it will make a big impact."

The U.S. government has said strikes by the unmanned aircraft are a necessary part of the fight against militant groups, including the Taliban.

In an interview that will air Sunday at 7 p.m. with CNN's Christiane Amanpour, Malala said she is far from done serving.

"I want to become a prime minister of Pakistan, and I think it's really good. Because through politics I can serve my whole county. I can be the doctor of the whole country," she said.

In a statement, the White House saluted Malala’s continuing efforts to promote education for girls.

In a proclamation marking Friday as the International Day of the Girl, Obama said, “Across the globe there are girls who will one day lead nations, if only we afford them the chance to choose their own destinies.”

“Every continent, there are girls who will go on to change the world in ways we can only imagine, if only we allow them the freedom to dream.”

–CNN's Bryan Koenig and Conor Finnegan contributed to this report.

Filed under: President Obama • White House
  1. Concerned

How Ironic! Do you think she was shot with one of Obama's guns?

October 11, 2013 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  2. José Paixão

I agree with Presidente obama. We must give the girls the chance and help them to lead their ways. Congratulations!

October 11, 2013 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  3. zena alhaj

malala is one of those people that come once in a century and improve he world. Malala has changed the world by being brave and isnt self-consious about herself but actually changed how people think and understand this world. THIS WORLD WOULDNT BE THE SAME WOTHOUT YOU MALALA

October 11, 2013 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  4. mountainlady

I'm going to take a chance to make a comment before the trolls chime in. I wish I had the President's pull. I'd love to meet this young woman. She's a hero for me and I'm many many years older than she is. Go Malala!

October 12, 2013 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  5. Jerry

Ok, ok! Nice of you to meet with Malala. Now, Mr. Obama, as leader? of ALL Américans, you need time to resolve the issues (shutdown, economy, employment, racial relations divide (don't add wood to the fire), etc., etc., etc.) that are affecting our country. DON'T only meet with Republicans as a last resort and demand that they approve everything and anything YOU and YOUR underlings (especially Senile Reid) put on the table. Be constructive; NOT destructive.

October 12, 2013 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  6. Snehashis Roy

As a born Indian I salute you for your courage. Yes you can.

October 12, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |