October 11th, 2013
6 months ago

Perkins: Cruz is de facto leader of Republican Party

Washington (CNN) – As trench warfare over the government shutdown drags into its eleventh day, a number of Republicans with visible roles in the stalemate, including Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, will take a breather from Capitol Hill on Friday to speak at the Values Voter Summit, one of the conservative movement's marquee annual events.

Pretty much everyone in official Washington, including President Barack Obama, is taking a beating in public opinion polls over the shutdown. Republicans, however, continue to shoulder most of the blame.

FULL STORY

Filed under: GOP • Ted Cruz • Tony Perkins • Values Voter Summit
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

DM4O

Don't know how I left that one out.

October 11, 2013 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  2. Gurgyl

Cruz is NOT a leader, he is a Canadian spy in USA.

October 11, 2013 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  3. Tony

Van Jones should have asked Ted Cruz a different question: is there still a Republican Party that Cruz can apologize to?

October 11, 2013 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  4. Jones

Why is it that from the right the comments are always full of emotional and hyperbole, and from the left there are mostly facts? One might think the remaining people who still identify with the GOP are irrational.

October 11, 2013 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  5. Al-NY,NY

Hey GOP-Taliban.......PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this guy your 2016 candidate. If you thought McCain and Flip Flopney got routed, you ain't seen nothin' yet

October 11, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  6. Randy, San Francisco

If Sen Ted Cruz is the defacto leader of the Republican Tea Party, then the demise of the national brand is happening sooner than later. The purge of moderate rational thinking Republicans must be near completion.

October 11, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  7. Tom

Well there's a point crazy conservatives and Democrats can agree on - Ted Cruz is the leader of the Republican party. I suspect you are going to see a lot of 2014 Democratic attack ads echoing that same message. The scary thing is Perkins and the rest of the uber-conservative movement seem to think Cruz is their savior. The poll numbers tell a very different story.

October 11, 2013 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  8. Hatter

Cruz is a dangerous far right extremist, even most of the top finical backers of Rick Perry think Cruz is dangerous.. He has 'on the record' lied, distorted the truth, is a fear monger in regards to healthcare, national security & immigration.

October 11, 2013 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  9. fayse

Ted Cruz is not a Texan and he is not a Natural born American, He was born to an American Mother and a Cuban Father in Canada. He is mostly to blame for the Government shut down. He may have fooled the people in Texas but, he can not win a National election. He lives in LaLa land and fairy tales.

October 11, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

@Dominican mama and Wake Up.

I've tried on several occasions to respond to both of you. I am having a hard time getting my words to flow because of the recent constraints of this forum. I can't think of any other time I've had to readdress my thought processes four or five times to get words accepted in a manner I normally don't converse in on a daily level.

October 11, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  11. rs

If Mr. Cruz has indeed ascended to the leadership of the GOP, they are through. Mr. Priebus can now officially not hold another "autopsy" on his party. The cause of death is very, very evident.

October 11, 2013 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  12. Wake up People!

I completely understand Lynda. Same here.

October 11, 2013 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  13. rs

freedom

Cruz started an important national dialogue, that would have otherwise been ignored – adding millions to the deficit – not dealing with the ramifications of the implementation of Obamacare – overreach of the government, fairness issues of the new law regarding congress, corporations, and the individual American, etc. The president should have been leading the charge, but he's not transparent (which he promised) with the American people or the media. Someone had to step up – and Cruz did.
    _______________________
    I might actually agree with you to some extent- and through that discussion we found:
    The GOP is physiologically incapable of telling the truth;
    That the GOP doesn't really care about the debt or deficit;
    That overreach (in this case the government shutdon) has had huge negative ramifications on the GOP's brand; and,
    That our great American "health care sytem" as envisioned and supported by the GOP stinks. 38th in the world, the most expenssive ever- leaving out 45% of Americans and causes directly the deaths of around 40,000 a years. Yup- thats something the Right would get behind.

October 11, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  14. Data Driven

Good job, RS. Data always helps.

That is, if I'm PERMITTED to engage any of the posters here.

October 11, 2013 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  15. Rudy NYC

Malory Archer

Wake up People!

I completely understand Lynda. Same here.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe CNN holds us "libruls" to a higher standard because the mods recognize that, unlike the rethugs, we're better than some of the comments we attempt to post.
    ====================================================

October 11, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  16. Wake up People!

@Mallory
    That OR and I'm leaning towards the or..... They're not the librul media that the RWNJ's claim they are.

October 11, 2013 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    Same here my friend, same here.
    Please get out of my head!

October 11, 2013 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  18. Lynda/Minnesota

"Someone doesn't seem to like any of the things that I have to say about Ted Cruz, and it's not like I post over the top, raging rants and diatribes. I simply point out the hypocricies, and Cruz is overflowing with them."

There is a problem, Rudy, when we are ALL having a difficult time getting our posts through. None of us are (if I might quote you) ... "raging ranters".

October 11, 2013 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  19. Malory Archer

Wake up People!

@Mallory

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What Wake up People said!

October 11, 2013 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  20. What's in that tea anyway?

Ok...I'm so giddy with Ted that I can't wait to vote for this toad....SARCASM big time ...we need this loser to lead the party of losers...Yaay...Tea Trolls....You finally got a President for the gubmit you really want.... The party of Stupid has found its way to live up to its name. IN SPADES LOL

October 11, 2013 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  21. What's in that tea anyway?

@Rick McDaniel

CNN loves to promote the Dems, as the righteous.......but in truth, is IS the Dems, and Obama in particular, that are destroying America, for everyone, including the poor.
    ---–
    Awww Rickster...Must be pretty lonely on that planet of non-reality. Better get those meds, because your tin foil hat has to be getting a bit tight right now.....better get to that basement....this is going to be a bumpy ride for the tight righties...LOL

October 11, 2013 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Mallory
    Child, they won't even let me respond to you!
    So let me just nod my head in assent.

October 11, 2013 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  23. What's in that tea anyway?

The new Failin' Palin in fruit of a looms. The difference being this one can actually read "Dr. Seuss" so that's a step up from his airhead predecessor but every bit as vapid...so the Party of Stupid keeps perfect symmetry in selecting their leaders.

October 11, 2013 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  24. TONE

@Lynda/Minnesota- we are all having a difficult time getting our post through.

Agreed Lynda i thought i was the only one who noticed that. thank you for confirming my suspicions.

October 11, 2013 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  25. Thomas

Ted Cruz / Sarah Palin 2016

Some have vision , few talk moose !

October 11, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |