Senate GOP growing impatient with House
October 11th, 2013
6 months ago

Senate GOP growing impatient with House

Washington (CNN) - House Speaker John Boehner has a day or two max to strike a debt ceiling and government funding deal before some of his Republican Senate colleagues move more aggressively on their own ideas, several impatient GOP Senators have told CNN.

The Senators say they are willing to give Boehner a bit more time, about 24 to 48 hours, to come to an agreement with the White House to raise the debt ceiling and reopen the government.

One option Boehner is currently pursuing, a six week increase to the debt ceiling, is becoming more and more unpopular, say multiple Senate GOP sources.

That plan would push the new deadline for raising U.S. borrowing authority to the end of November, just in time for Thanksgiving and the holiday shopping season, which could hurt retailers and cause economic repercussions.

The Senate sources are also extremely concerned about the partial government shutdown, which House Republican leadership wants to deal with only after the debt ceiling is raised.

While the shutdown has done no one any favors in the polls, it has been particularly damaging to the Republican Party, whose poll numbers are at near-historic lows.

A bipartisan group of about 10 senators, led by Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia, met Friday afternoon to try to find a way forward in the Senate, according to sources familiar with the meeting.

Collins' plan for a longer extension of the debt limit and government funding has gained some traction. Her proposal would repeal the 2.3% tax on medical devices, which is used to help pay for Obamacare, and give federal agencies greater flexibility to deal with the forced spending cuts known as sequestration.

Democrats are unlikely to give sequester flexibility a warm reception but the broader concept of long-term solutions on the debt ceiling and government funding bill seem to be gaining bipartisan steam in the Senate. Repeal of the medical device tax is also a popular idea among Senate Democrats, receiving an overwhelming majority in one vote.

Another popular idea, particularly among conservatives determined to score a victory against the Affordable Care Act, would be to institute income verification for those receiving Obamacare subsidies, meant to prevent fraud.

One GOP Senator said an idea discussed with the President in a Friday morning meeting was to add a provision to the government spending bill that would replace the sequester-which would appeal to Democrats–with some reforms to Medicare proposed by the President, which appeal to Republicans who are concerned about entitlement spending's long-term impact on the debt.

–CNN's Bryan Koenig contributed to this report.

1. Steve

I wish that they would stop requiring everyone to have the insurance. I don't want to be forced to pay for something I just can't afford.
    --–
    I don't want to pay for your medical treatment when you become ill.

October 12, 2013 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  2. bob

I'm afraid i will have to stand with the republicans on this one. It's not fair for me to work 50+ hours a week while a growing number of other Americans stay at home getting free food, childcare, utilities, mortgages, education, & now free healthcare from the government. Soon, I suspect, I the government will provide them free cell phones & cable TV. It's time for Americans to do for themselves and stop relying on government handouts.

October 12, 2013 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  3. john

why is it the only time they want austerity is when there is a democratic president

October 12, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  4. Ahhh Sheit Midrauers

The less insane GOP members need to do a blitz and just publicly and privately disown these Tea Baggers. It may be the only hope for their party and country

October 12, 2013 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  5. Norma Vessels

Alan S .. you are right on the mark. What the Republicans in the House need to do is open up the Government, and raise the debt ceiling so we can pay our bills. Then, and only then, will they be able to bargain or compromise or whatever can be done to settle differences in the future. This way is not getting them anywhere. And the American people are hurting because of the stubborn ways of the Republicans in the House. Yes, I am angry, very angry, at the Republicans in the House.

October 12, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  6. Mike

Not an inch. Pass clean CR and raise debt ceiling. No putting up the country ad hostages you tea bag trash. Wait until next election you clowns are going down.

October 12, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. Duh in NC

House republicans have been fed up with Obama and Reid for 2 weeks and have been struggling to compromise. The communist news network won't report that though

October 12, 2013 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  8. Mike

What is so funny is everyone here is blaming the GOP. There are 2 houses of congress and the democrats have the majority in the senate and the white house. Also the latest poll shows 60 percent of Americans want all of Congress replaced and it doesn't matter if they are in the GOP or the Democratic party

October 12, 2013 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  9. Joaquin R Roces

Leo Tolstoy once wrote, "I sit on a man's back, choking him, and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by any means possible, except getting off his back (Writings on Civil Disobedience and Nonviolence; 1886)" When I was unemployed for 2 years because of lack of funding during the economic depression of 2010 and 2011, I ended up defaulting on my school loans as I was barely making it on unemployment and $16/mo. of food stamps. Now I am in collections, and I am setting up a payment plan with the collection service to get back on track OR they will garnish 15% of each paycheck to payback my loan. What about the government shut down and the taxes I, and millions of others, have paid to the government to ensure it continues to operate? The same should hold true for everyone on Capitol Hill – IF they are still collecting a paycheck, then their checks should be garnished 15% (OR MORE) to pay back the "loan" the American people gave to them to perform their jobs. That garnishment should have started on the day the government shut down. If I stopped showing up at work to protest a company policy I did not like, how long do you think I would remain working. THEY, all 535, should be reminded who their BOSS is. IT is not the President of the United States. It IS the American People. WE pay their salary.

October 12, 2013 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  10. sailorjon1@comcast.net

As a disabled Veteran who lives month to month on my compensation I'll say one thing.......I WILL REMEMBER the republicans at ANY election. The republicans have said from day one that they would not work with the president and they have become the most "do nothing" bunch ever seen in Washington. It has been so obvious that all they respect is big corporation and money, money, money.....it is beyond me how anyone with children or elderly in their families can be so against a program that offers help against the high cost of medical care. Of course I can see the republicans side....they stand to loose a lot of green backs from the MEDICAL INSURANCE companies who have been ripping the people off for years.

October 12, 2013 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  11. Larry in Houston

it's too bad – really is ..... the right fringe of the bonehead's party is making them go extinct – that's really shameful...I honestly don't know whether to feel sorry for them, or what...... right now, they aren't doing anything good for their party.... IF I was a gambling man – I would say , since Obama had Reid & company @ the W.H. for over an hour or so, I would guess that they are going to "wait it out" so to speak.... They already know that the markets will go south, if they just tell the ones (that went home) that there's NO deal. So they will "talk" till after the 17th – and things will most likely get much worse, especially for the ones that are not getting paid, and are still working.

October 12, 2013 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  12. Fair is fair

I love the shut down. Wayyyy better than before. Can we keep it this way?

October 12, 2013 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  13. dmf

There is this budget reconciliation process and SOP in Congress , which were not followed for five months . If this is not insanity , gridlock and political gamesmanship ! What would . If tomorrow Tea party folks decide not to stop on red light at intersections , what the police is supposed to do with that crazy person ? No wonder the polls hold Congress with only five percent job approval rating . The polls show majority also wishes to replace Congress . Nevertheless , Congressmen 's perks , huge salary , benefits and Special interests money etc. are enough for them to swallow all that wrath from electorate !

October 12, 2013 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  14. oldGuy69

if the GOP really wants to fix our spending problem, they have to look at the cost of tax loop holes, corporation tax breaks, and the 25 large corporations that pay no tax at all. Then lets stop buying stuff the DOD doesn't want, cut back on foreign aid. This type of change takes more guts than holding the government hostage. Do some real work and stop the side show to nowhere.

October 12, 2013 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  15. GinaPetruzzi

The ACA should have already had an income verification mandate. If it doesn't then the 1040 tax form better be updated to have a place on it to check off if you received a subsidy.. Anyone who receives a subsidy cannot ever, ever be allowed to file personal bankruptcy due to medical bills. And if they don't pay their portion of their medical bills when due, the government should immediately begin garnishing wages. All Hospitals should send all medical bills unpaid to the feds so they can set up the collection system to get the money from subsidy receivers.
    ACA is going to be a horrible obligation liability to our Nation. You thought medicaid was doing bad stuff to premiums and medical pricing, wait til the full force of the ACA kicks in. Medical device tax is wrong too in so many ways, but most all of Obama's laws, tax increases, and economic policies have been wrong too so why would I expect this ACA thing to be any different. We are going to be a nation of government paid out obligations and that is NOT what taxation was designed for. It is designed for all of our tax conributions to be allocated towards THE GREATER GOOD OF THE NATION. Not the greater harm and misery of the nation. Get it? If not, you are a fool and you will be forced to deal with your bliind acceptance of what you think is being done in the name of a positive investment. It's not. We haven't made many positive investments that have yielded positive returns since Obama took office. But hey, we've really beat up to coal companies haven't we? Wow, great job Obama. Instead of investing fairly and wisely in ALL of our resources, he's chosen to throw billions at failed "investments" that were not ever close to being investments that would yield positive returns for America or do the greatest amount of good, for the greatest amount of time, for the greatest amount of people. Down the rabbit hole, Alice.

October 12, 2013 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |