Breaking: Optimism on shutdown in the Senate
October 14th, 2013
10 months ago

Breaking: Optimism on shutdown in the Senate

Washington (CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and his Republican counterpart, Mitch McConnell, both said Monday they were optimistic they would forge a compromise acceptable to both parties to end the partial government shutdown and avoid a debt default as soon as Thursday.

Filed under: Government Shutdown • Senate
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

I'm not optimistic until a bill reaches the President's desk and he signs off on it. Congress has a history of F.U.BA.R. legislation along with waiting until the very last second to get anything done.

October 14, 2013 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  2. Tony in Maine

And John Boehner in his quest to keep his Speakership even if it he has to destroy the country to do it will refuse to bring any Senate deal to the floor of the House thereby guaranteeing that 40 spoiled brats will get their candy while the rest of us can go (expletive deleted) ourselves..

October 14, 2013 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  3. Fair is Fair

Ol' Yeller

@Ron- IN...
    I agree with you somewhat, but I have real tough time seeing why you are letting the uber rich off so easy. Why is there a social security cap at all? I pay on 100% of my earnings, how come the most well off people in America only pay on a small percentage of their earnings? I think everyone should pay Social Security taxes on 100% of their earnings and Social Security should be means tested as should Medicaid. There... the programs are now solvent throughout my great great grandchildren's lives.
    --------
    The earnings cap is in place because a benefits cap is in place. You see, what you describe is basically this – you want the "wealthy" to pay for most of the government funding, people's housing, their food, their spending money, their healthcare, their clothing, their education... and now you want them to pay their retirement as well????

October 14, 2013 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  4. tee

No six week deal why because we will be back in the same position again Obama should say no deal !

October 14, 2013 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  5. Thomas

The Ted Cruz Blues ,

Give me Give me Give me Green Eggs an Ham

Give Give Give me new pair of Cowboy Boots

Make me TeaParty King , Give me Give me

I need Fame , I'm TeaParty King

Bigger the John McCain , I'm TeaParty King

October 14, 2013 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. S. B. Stein

I wonder why no one did more before this to get a deal. It adds to the frustration of the whole thing.

October 14, 2013 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  7. Ol' Yeller

Yes, that is correct. Those who benefit the most should be more than happy to return the most. This unmitigated greed (golden parachutes, multi million dollar monthly bonuses, crying about how a 1$ minimum wage hike will destroy them) and only thinking of oneself needs to stop... either that or the anti government anti tax folks need to all pack up and go over to Somalia where they can see how much money they can make when they don't have the protections and opportunity to became wealthy beyond their wildest dreams. We have many many folks right now waiting to fill that void on mansion row.
    While we are at it... any country who moves their operations overseas to take jobs from Americans to save a few bucks (to stash away in the Cayman Islands) they will now pay a 115% tax to access the American consumer to sell their products. I would make that tax retroactive over the last 40 or so years. If you love your country, and benefit from your country, then you will work hard to ensure she is the best country or you can hit the f@#*% road.
    I'm sick of these greedy whining billionaires who only want to take. They only ask what their country can do for them and never what they can do for their country.
    P.S. They can take their congressmen with them, after all they paid for them and we da mn sure don't need them.

October 14, 2013 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. Marcus (from...?)

Toph – 'When an employee breaks the law at a bank, guess who takes the fall, the CEO, same thing here!!!'
    Maybe the CEO gets the fall, just MAYBE, but who pays for the crime? The employee or the CEO?

October 14, 2013 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  9. Thomas

The debit ceiling SHOULD RUN CONCURRENT WITH THE MYAN CALENDAR !

October 14, 2013 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  10. Larry in Houston

it's all political theatre – you can tell that, by the markets.... They used to scare easily......but since this happens every few months, they don't scare so easily....

October 14, 2013 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  11. simplefaith

America, please remember who you voted for in Congress. Don't ever again vote for these deceitful self interested canditates again. Texans pay attention to who you elect for Senators and Congressmen. Ted Cruz is worse than Romney, Gingrich, Bush or any other repubs from Texas. Can't believe Ted Cruz kept people awake reading "Green Eggs and Ham". Wish he would just go away. He is worst than Romney Ten times over. Yuk.

October 14, 2013 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |