October 15th, 2013
11 months ago

How many have signed up for health care? Well, it depends

Washington (CNN) - The glitch-plagued rollout of President Barack Obama's signature health care law has been dogged by one big question: How many people have enrolled in an insurance plan?

The White House refuses to release the numbers, leading many to assume they are embarrassingly low. But insurance industry insiders point to another reason: Nobody knows if the numbers they do have are even accurate.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Health care • White House
  1. Sniffit

"Industry officials who were contacted requested anonymity to speak candidly because of the superheated politics surrounding Obamacare."

HAHAHAHA! Wow that's some fancy rationalization there CNN. They ask for anonymity so they can't be personally attacked for spouting industry lies and propaganda and spewing plutocrat talking point. Anonymity doesn't breed truthfulness and objectivity; it breeds the opposite. People are more apt to tell the truth when they know that lying will be attached to them personally, not when they know they can get away with saying anything because nobody can ever come at them for saying it.

October 15, 2013 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  2. Gurgyl

Within 14 days 93,000 signed and 40,000 were experiencing glitch. Most of the people will sign up by January 2014. By then GOP is out. ACA IS A LAW. You can not defund and remove this law. President appended his signature on this. Period. Withdraw all wild thoughts. It is a Law.

October 15, 2013 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  3. The Real Tom Paine

Hey, let's ask tom l, since he knows everything and all we do is complain and not listen to him: oh Sage One, whose nose we are not worthy to pick, please explain to us deluded liberals all about how a website should run? Can you do it without cutting and pasting work by other people out of context?

October 15, 2013 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

The real surge in users is yet to come. Most companies have enrollment periods in November, which most have yet to explain what they will be offering their employees. Once the employees get a look at what their employer is offering, then you can bet that they will go onto the exchanges to price compare rates.

They'd better get ready for November. If they think it's bad now, then they haven't see anything.

October 15, 2013 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  5. tom l

We're unreasonable? Please. Your tone has become increasingly shrill in recent weeks, as you insist on defending the right to shut the government down over a law that was duly past. As far as rhetroic is concerned, the GOP started out by saying they were going to make sure Obama failed. When that little strategem failed, they reverted to this. As far as the subject of tone is concerned, you lost whatever credibility you had in terms of being reasonable when you began to engage in pointelss pi$$ing matches with people. Out of respect, I held my fire, but when you have personalized it to the extent you have, it becomes impossible not to say something. Your dismissal of peoples' right to believe as they see fit belies your claims of being an independent thinker. You lapse all to readily into FOXspeak. You tell people when they are specialists in their field that they are wrong: you're a marketing exec, which mean that you really can't cut it sales or IT.

Wow, so now some personal jabs. Awesome. And who do you think has made the divide greater between us? Actually, I am in sales (that's what marketing is, but that's cool). So when did I defend the govt shutdown? I never have but I think it's a manufactured crisis by BOTH sides. I freely recognize the fact that the repubs have culpability, but so do the dems. There's a lot of blame to go around and when one party is in power and can't get a deal done, it's on them. Sorry, but if you don't want the leadership role, then don't take it and the responsibility that goes with it. I don't support, either, the defunding of the ACA and have never said that. I think it's a terrible mistake but I don't think defunding is at all the way to go. I'd like people to see what happens when the govt gets more control. It will, no doubt, turn them off and hurt the progressive cause which I don't believe in. In fact, as one of the few consistent people here that isn't blinded by partisanship, I have said that Boehner should have brought it to a vote, just like Harry Reid should have brought countless votes to the floor during election time. It's called consistency.
    As a matter of fact, I acknowledged that Data Driven was correct and recognized that I was incorrect with the traffic but you probably missed that post. I do admit when I'm wrong. The truly ironic thing is that in Data's new partisan role he has now taken to a new extreme, he doesn't think that healthcare.gov cost too much (possibly through a no bid contract but I can't confirm that) even though there are now calls by Robert Gibbs to fire people for the inefficiency of the site.
    The only ones that dismiss someone having another opinion would be one that calls someone a terrorist or rebel – that's the tone that our president has set and has made people like you vastly more dismissive, vastly more intollerant. It's noticeable. It is not "Foxspeak" – a term you never used to use until recently – (of which the only show I watch is O'Reilly which I recognize is his opinion; one that I don't agree with probably 50% of the time) to say something negative about the president. It's called an opinion. Your "fox" comments are simply a way for you to stifle debate; then you go off on some tangent about "right wing talking points" using "left wing talking points" with zero recognition of that. The bottom line is that there is no doubt that we have become more divisive. Who's the president? Who sets that tone? Who is the one that should rise above a Ted Cruz and bring people together? That should be the president. Reid called Bush a loser and a liar but Bush didn't turn around and call him names.
    Oh, by the way, Sniffit today just claimed that the only reason repubs in congress are against the ACA is because we have a black president. As far as my pi**ing matches with Sniffit, it's hard not to when someone so pompous thinks he's so right about everything. The website has huge problems. It is indicative of what happens with govt getting involved. The fundamental different is that you believe the govt can work with complicated issues and I simply do not. The fact that congress can't even pass a budget is representative of that.
    Unfortunatey, Obama has led to your new tone. It's a bummer. I wish he would bring people together more as a president should. But he takes the fiery rhetoric on the right and adds fuel to the fire. He doesn't douse it. He makes it worse. Just like Bush with his "either your with us or your with the terrorists". What a joke and a terrible thing to say. That's divisive and makes you feel if you're on the other side then the president thinks you're a bad guy.

I long for the days of Bill Clinton, a president who I didn't agree with much, but at least he had the ability to bring people together. The last two president have done the exact opposite.

October 15, 2013 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  6. tiscali.it

high five @ Gurgyl

October 15, 2013 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  7. sonny chapman

The State Governors who set up their own enrollment system should be commended. The Fed. Enrollment was always a backup in case some States would drag their feet & try to bring down Obama & his attempt to help more AMERICANS Heath Insurance. These Govs., like Christie & the Kent. Gov. put the interest of their people ahead of extreme ideologue. Jesus is smiling for what they have done.

October 15, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

tom l. wrote:

.... Wow, so now some personal jabs. Awesome. And who do you think has made the divide greater between us? Actually, I am in sales (that's what marketing is, but that's cool). So when did I defend the govt shutdown? ...
    --------------------------

October 15, 2013 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  9. tom l

"Sales? That explains a whole lot. A salesman is never wrong. Anyone who's ever worked with them can tell you that."

"Lawyer? That explains a whole lot. A lawyer is never wrong. Anyone who's ever worked with them can tell you that"

FIFY

October 15, 2013 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  10. joe

well, gotta be honest. i totally support president obama and the ACA but i went on-line yesterday to apply for coverage and man what a frickin nightmare. problem after problem. went on-line to apply at 1pm and was still on-line at 7pm trying to sigh up. log-in problems among others. tried calling the 800 number and the customer service person could not help me. i even tried the live chat and they could not help me. what is really frustrating is NO ONE seems to be able to solve my problem. i don't get it. the administration had 3 years to get this right and it is a big pain in the ass. after applying on-line and then having difficulty applying for cov. i decided to call and sign up over the phone and was told that because i already signed up on-line i couldn't sign up over the phone. i even emailed the president onlt to find out that because of the govt. shutdown my email could not be heard. unbelievable!!!!

October 15, 2013 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  11. The Real Tom Paine

-Rudy NYC

tom l. wrote:

--------–
    *********************************
    Not if he wants to keep a customer for repeat business: hint, I'm in sales.

October 15, 2013 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  12. smith

We won`t know until Jan 2014 if this going as planned all the speculation on both sides right now is just fodder politics. @ Gurgles- 93,000? Did you just pull that number from a hat?

October 15, 2013 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  13. Sniffit

"Oh, by the way, Sniffit today just claimed that the only reason repubs in congress are against the ACA is because we have a black president. "

I've never said it was their only reason. It's certainly one of them though. I have no problem saying that. It's high on their list too.

"The fact that congress can't even pass a budget is representative of that."

Yawn. That's just more of the GOP/Teatrolls breaking gov't to "prove" it's broken. How convenient for you that they've refused 19 times to conference on the budgets passed in the Senate and House back in April. Makes for a great conservative talking point once they break something, eh? Coooonveeeeenient.

October 15, 2013 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  14. Sniffit

"I long for the days of Bill Clinton, a president who I didn't agree with much, but at least he had the ability to bring people together."

The ONLY reason he was able to do so was because the GOP at that time was not diametrically, dogmatically, irrevocably opposed to allowing him to have anything that looked like a win. They are with respect to Obama. They have been since November 4, 2008. It was, in fact, their entire strategy in response to the 2008 elections and has remained their strategy ever since.

October 15, 2013 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |