Obama: Obamacare website glitches are unacceptable
October 16th, 2013
1 year ago

Obama: Obamacare website glitches are unacceptable

(CNN) - President Barack Obama on Tuesday expressed disappointment with glitches in the Obamacare website, more than two weeks after the launch of HealthCare.gov.

“I am the first to acknowledge that the website that was supposed to do this all in a seamless way has had way more glitches than I think are acceptable and we’ve got people working around the clock to do that,” Obama told KCCI, a CNN affiliate in Des Moines, Iowa. “We’ve seen some significant progress but until it’s 100% I’m not going to be satisfied.”

A high volume of visitors to the health insurance exchange portal contributed to the technical problems that have plagued the website, making it more difficult for individuals to begin the enrollment process.

Despite the consistent problems, the president touted the health care law, saying it enables those seeking coverage to purchase private insurance, compare the prices of different plans and receive a tax credit to make it affordable.

“The product itself is actually really good but we have to make sure that the cash register works and that the lines aren’t too long when people are checking in and checking out,” Obama said.

The president has insisted he will not negotiate over the law as part of discussions currently underway to reopen the government and increase the debt ceiling before the Thursday deadline. But in Tuesday's interview, the president also reiterated his willingness to improve parts of the law in the future as long as those who are now eligible for coverage are not turned away.

“We're going to make sure that those folks will be able to get coverage,” Obama said. “We're not going to send them to the emergency room.”

Filed under: Healthcare • President Obama
  1. charlies curry

well no you won'nt send them to emergency rooms here 4 years down the road you will be sending them to death camps!!!if there to old...

October 16, 2013 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  2. Sandy

Can we be sure some of the people working on the website did not sabotage it?

October 16, 2013 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  3. simplyput

Mr. President, my first vote as a citizen for over 60 years was for you, because you promised ACA. I've had coverage under the ACA for three years now. When I called because healthcare.Gov wasn't accessible, I was told I had to apply to get information. I don't buy anything blindfolded, do you? So I called a private company, who is doing your work for you, and was told the silver options were between $700 and $800 a month if I want to keep my doctors. If I get subsidies, that puts me at approx. $400 a month, which is $44 less than I pay now. I will be dropping insurance and paying the fine, and believe me, I need the insurance. But when the IRS lost $67 million, and my coverage changed you lost me. The law has abused me, overcharged me and taken my rights as a consumer away. The glitches are only the beginning of the problems with the exchange.

October 16, 2013 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  4. Jack Connor

Just got my family of three enrolled into a Silver Plan with Lifewise for $261 per month $10 co-pay/ 500 ded/4000 out-of pocket/100 ER. There were no glitches or any issues with getting enrolled into a plan at healthcare.gov

October 16, 2013 05:52 am at 5:52 am |
  5. Marie MD

Does Apple or Ticket Master not go through something like this when their products/performances are oversold?
    They do need to make sure it works better but not everyone who needs medical insurance has a computer either so the old fashion ay of paper and pen also works.

October 16, 2013 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  6. smith

@Sandy-Really? Govt. website=glitches and problems.
    Govt. Healthcare=? Will have to wait and see.

October 16, 2013 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  7. Tampa Tim

Red state people will not get any breaks in premiums if their state is like Florida. The state republicans will allow insurance companies to raise rates as much as they want as they have tried to sabotage ACA from day one.

October 16, 2013 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  8. What a shame

This is what you get with a inexperienced, incompetent community organizer bumbling his way Through politics. Great vote libs. If he actually took the life line thrown to him by the republicans and delayed Obamacare then it would have had a chance to be corrected. He would rather sit down and negotiate with terrorists then elected officials in the government of the US. Regardless of how you feel about the representatives he is the one holding back on a deal and watching the country tank. Obamacare is a big piece that will create a part time work nation. My heart goes out to future generations that have to live with the consequences of the "Me" generations uninformed votes for this looser in the white house.

October 16, 2013 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

President Obama is a perfectionist. He strives for perfection in his deeds and the work of those around him. As such it is no surprise that he is not happy with the glitches the website is currently experiencing.
    Be patient people. This is a huge freaking deal. It will be fixed.
    Additonally I am glad that he is open to any and all suggestion to improving the LAW barring suspending, stalling, or defunding it.

October 16, 2013 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  10. Fair is Fair

Sandy

Can we be sure some of the people working on the website did not sabotage it?
    --------–
    Yeah... that MUST be it.

October 16, 2013 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  11. Data Driven

@smith,

"Govt. Healthcare=? Will have to wait and see."

No we won't, because it's not government healthcare or even government insurance. It's a government-managed Marketplace that facilitates buying private insurance plans (at least, when the website works).

It would really really help if people knew what on earth they were talking about. Conservative media clearly isn't helping.

In polling, most people admit that they don't even understand Obamacare. Indeed - I see it every day on this website.

October 16, 2013 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  12. S. B. Stein

It is a new product and service. Therefore there is going to be a problem getting it started. If you think that this is because it is government, then you are living in a fantasy world. Technology is a fickle thing.

October 16, 2013 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  13. Anonymous

@Data Driven
    "In polling, most people admit that they don't even understand Obamacare. Indeed – I see it every day on this website."

And, thus the reason that there should be a delay in the mandate. Buying insurance is a very difficult and quite confusing process. Since so many people "don't even understand Obamacare" nor do they understand the process of buying insurance, education is the key. Since you have clearly stated that people need to understand more I believe you are advocating for exactly what repubs want. A delay. They're not asking to defund (and I think that the defunding tactic was not the smart way to go), they're asking to delay so people can understand it. Just like you said.

October 16, 2013 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  14. tom l

Data Driven:

I totally agree. People don't understand this. People need more education on the process. You are advocating for exactly what the repubs are, you just don't realize it. Buying insurance is time consuming, needs a great deal of education about all of the bells and whistles and how it functions. As you have so eloquently and clearly stated, people just don't understand it. So why would you force people to buy something they don't really understand. A delay, NOT defunding, is what is prudent here. And you just said it in your statement which I totally agree with.

October 16, 2013 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  15. smith

@Data- Govt. managed marketplace- your words. =Govt. healthcare.

October 16, 2013 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  16. Vince

"Glitches". EVERYONE who has been interviews said these are more than glitches. The whole system is "structurally flawed".

October 16, 2013 10:31 am at 10:31 am |