Rep. Bill Young 'gravely ill,' family says
October 17th, 2013
12 months ago

Rep. Bill Young 'gravely ill,' family says

Washington (CNN) - Rep. Bill Young of Florida, the longest-serving Republican member of the House, is "gravely ill," his family said in a statement Wednesday.

"[Young's] condition turned for the worse over night and he is gravely ill. His doctors say his prognosis is guarded," the statement read.

Young, 82, was absent from the House vote Wednesday night to reopen the government and raise the debt ceiling.

The 22-term representative announced last week he won't run for another term next year.

"It's my time," Young told the Tampa Bay Times in a phone interview. As to why he was retiring now, Young said, "I don't know that I would pick out one thing. It's a lot of things."

Among them, Young said, is his disappointment with congressional gridlock. "I'm a little disappointed. It seems there's too much politics. It's a different Congress," he told the Times.

Young has been in the Capitol and seen around the Hill since he announced his retirement.

Young was first elected to the House in November 1970. In total, after serving 10 years in the Florida State Senate and 43 years in the House, Young has spent more than half a century in elected office. He has served with a total of eight presidents.

During his tenure, Young has been heralded for his expertise on defense issues – and chaired both the full House Appropriations committee and its defense subcommittee during his time on Capitol Hill.

Filed under: Florida • House
  1. The Real Tom Paine

My heart goes out to his family. This is a sad event, regardless of your beliefs.

October 17, 2013 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

The Real Tom Paine

---------------
    Let's all chill out on a thread and pray for his speedy recovery.

October 17, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. The Real Tom Paine

-Rudy NYC

The Real Tom Paine

-----
    Let's all chill out on a thread and pray for his speedy recovery.
    ************
    Yes, for once, let's actually do it.

October 17, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  4. Thomas

Serenity , to him and his family .

October 17, 2013 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  5. Wake up People!

I agree Rudy and Tom but 22 terms in Congress is way too many. I wish him well though, seriously.

October 17, 2013 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  6. S. B. Stein

I am glad that he is able to step down on his own rather than pass away in office. Hopefully he will be able to enjoy some time out of office.

October 17, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  7. hippie power 69

how long he is in congress is up to the people in his district. good wishes sent his way. god bless.

October 17, 2013 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |