October 17th, 2013
1 year ago

You've reached Cory Booker. I'm not here to take your call, Mr. President

(CNN) - It seems President Barack Obama doesn't always get through on the telephone.

Cory Booker tells CNN that the President called him Wednesday night, to congratulate the Democratic mayor of Newark, New Jersey for his victory in a special U.S. Senate election.

But Booker missed Obama's call.

"Look, I have to say the President was my friend before he was my President. He left a message for me last night which was incredibly gracious after midnight. I'm sorry I missed his call," Booker told CNN anchor and Chief Washington Correspondent Jake Tapper in an interview on "The Lead" Thursday.

Now square that with what Obama said earlier this week.

"I think the coolest thing is that if there's somebody interesting who's doing anything – a scientist, a sports figure, a writer, anybody in the world – if I want to call them up and talk to them, they will answer my phone call," Obama said Tuesday in an interview on CNN New York City affiliate WABC-TV.

Filed under: Cory Booker • President Obama
  1. Data Driven

Obama + Booker: Frenemies

October 17, 2013 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  2. Wake up People!

Here you go making a mountain out of a molehill. I didn't see where Senator Booker said he didn't want to talk to the POTUS. He said he missed his call. You people really are grasping for stories today.

Data, you're right about Reagan. I agree.

October 17, 2013 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  3. don in albuquerque

Congrats Mr. Booker!!!!!!!!!!

October 17, 2013 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  4. Larry in Houston

another "vote" for the Democrat corner. Especially when the next debt ceiling & shutdown threatens the voters & middle class, of this country.

October 17, 2013 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  5. rs

See that, GOP? ANOTHER Democratic win.....

October 17, 2013 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  6. S. B. Stein

No one can take every call.

October 17, 2013 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

CNN you guys just don't quit do ya?
    Booker and President Obama are friends, and have been friends since before his Presidency.
    We just got through a harowing experience with this shutdown.
    Give us a break and let it go for a while.

October 18, 2013 07:13 am at 7:13 am |