October 18th, 2013
9 months ago

Cory Booker to conduct same-sex marriages in New Jersey

Updated 10/18/2013 at 3:12pm

(CNN) - Senator-elect Cory Booker will move forward with his support of same-sex marriage, with plans to grant the marriages of several same-sex couples 12:01 a.m. Monday after a court ruling goes into effect.

The story was first reported by Buzzfeed. The New Jersey Democrat, who's the mayor of Newark, re-tweeted that article to his celebrity-sized Twitter crowd of 1.4 million followers.

According to Buzzfeed, Booker will recognize the weddings of at least 10 same-sex couples at Newark City Hall.

The weddings will come after a New Jersey judge ruled last month that the already legal civil unions in the state didn't go far enough because they prevented couples from getting federal benefits. In her ruling, the judge cited the June Supreme Court decision that overturned a key part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act.

New Jersey Republican Gov. Chris Christie's administration filed an appeal with the state Supreme Court, but on Friday the court refused to grant a stay. That means that the initial ruling allowing same-sex marriage is still valid and will go into effect Monday, hence the timing of the weddings Booker plans to grant.

The state Supreme Court is expected to hear further arguments in January.

Booker's political celebrity and high-profile fundraising helped the two-term mayor sail to a decisive victory in the special election this week to fill the rest of the term of Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg, who died in June.

– CNN's Bryan Koenig and Kevin Conlon contributed to this report.

Filed under: Cory Booker • New Jersey • Same-sex marriage
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

New Jersey Republican Gov. Chris Christie's administration has filed an appeal, but barring higher court action, the ruling will go into effect Monday, hence the timing of the weddings Booker plans to grant.
    -------------------------------------------------
    I hope you're taking notes and paying attention America.
    Christie is against gay marriage and I can't help but wonder why.

October 18, 2013 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. Data Driven

DM4O,

Truth to tell, I was being a little bit Valley Girl silly - should've added an "OMG! Secret!" for clarification.

However, they do have a rocky past, at on Booker's end of things. Back in 2011, Booker went on some chat shows and said Obama wasn't negotiating hard enough and even called Obama "anti-business". Obama, being a bigger man than me in all respects, forgave Booker for this

October 18, 2013 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  3. Data Driven

Lord, posting on a phone –

Part 2: I think Booker was trying to gain "Beltway acceptance", and succeeded.

But, that's the past. Obama and Booker appear to have no issues, so I guess I shouldn't either. My own feelings on Booker are complicated. I've called him a Blue Dog from past statements and have generally hard on him. But his gesture today really impresses me. I will be DELIGHTED to change my opinions due to changing facts on the ground, and he's already doing that.

A strong, media-savvy liberal in the Senate? Si!

October 18, 2013 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  4. Larry in Houston

sorry – I can see Clinton – but booker ?? He needs to get his name out there a lot more than it is now....
    doesn't really matter who it is anyway – - as an Independent, I would like to vote for a republican who is a moderate, or even a little to the right......( like 1 o'clock, right) (no more than that) and sometimes a little on the 11 O'clock am side, ( like a little left) but where's that guy at ? and who would it be ?
    answer : So I guess Clinton is the only one, who would fit a little close to that mark ( I said "close) she's the only one that is qualified)

October 18, 2013 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Data
    Fascinating.
    Politics does not only make for strange bedfellows but it would appear that it also makes for a good soap opera if followed closely.
    I wish I had the "data base" (pardon the pun!) of political intrigue, background, and backdrop that you, Sniffit, and Rudy along with some others have on this site.
    I am sure that it gives you a different perspective to the current goings-on.

October 18, 2013 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  6. Robert Camacho

This is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud of Cory Booker and standing for marriage equality.

Whether You Like It Or Not, same sex marriages are REAL!

Namaste!

Happily legally married Gay couple in California since 2008 and together for 13 years.

October 18, 2013 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

@Dominican mama: "I hope you're taking notes and paying attention America. Christie is against gay marriage and I can't help but wonder why."

I can't help but wonder why NJ is so very impressed with Chris Christie. Enough so to re-elect him when he might very well desert NJ months after his re-election to follow his own presidential ambitions.

Quite frankly, Christie does not and never has impressed me.

October 18, 2013 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  8. Jeff Frank (R-ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Profile Of A Typical Republican That Posts Here: Typical? You need to take a good whiff of what your shovelin'. Oh, , by the way..when you try to cerebraly try to assault somebody you should post your real name. Cowards shy away from this, because most of them don't have integrity.

October 18, 2013 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  9. Wake up People!

Me neither Lynda. I don't like or trust him. And I wouldn't vote for him at gunpoint.

October 18, 2013 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda Minnesota
    Quite frankly, Christie does not and never has impressed me
    -------------------------------------------------
    This is exactly the way I feel about him.
    He strikes me as a bully. A pitbull on a short leash.
    He doesn't strike me as someone who can exert self-control but wishes instead to control, by any means necessary, no matter how, er, um, mafioso the tactic employed.
    So yeah, what you said. Lol!

October 18, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  11. Tampa Tim

I looked up how to recall Cruz. I was the 6400 visitor. It is a shame that Texas does not allow recall.

October 18, 2013 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wake up People
    I've tried three times to respond to you. They won't let me through. Maybe this time?
    Be very, very vigilant that the negativity on this thread, and whatever you maybe witnessing in real life does not make you become like the very people you abhor.
    Concentrate, as I do, on the Lyndas on this thread, and there are many such "Lyndas" to counter-balance the rick mc'ds.
    In real lifeI find that I can deal with the injustices I come across by speaking up for those that can't or won't.
    Be the balance that you seek.

October 18, 2013 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  13. Jeff Brown in Jersey

I'm proud to have voted for Cory Booker and help put him in office. I will not vote for Chris Christie next month, but I suspect he will win the election. I further perdict that these two men will be on Presidential tickets in the next general election.

October 18, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Jeff Brown in Jersey

-------------------------------------------------
    Congratulations on Booker Jeff, and I too get the feeling that they will BOTH be on Presidential tickets in 2016.
    What do you think?
    Christie/Cruz or Cruz/Christie?
    I know that Clinton/Booker would bring all sorts of people out of the woodwork.
    Should prove interesting if either or both of these pan out.

October 18, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  15. Data Driven

@Jeff Brown,

Probably too soon for Booker, but definitely on Christie. The media will basically turn Christie into Zombie James Gandolfini. He's Jersey! He's colorful! He's moderate! (Shh, don't look at his actual, reactionary record!)

October 18, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

..Or would that be Christie/Ryan?
    Naaah. We're done with Ryan...I hope.

October 18, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  17. Lynda/Minnesota

@Dominican mama: "Okay we have to decide who's going to post on what day you or me, because we think too much alike!
    This is exactly the way I feel about him."

So you HAVE noticed we both think alike, have you? Me in my jeans and Paris bought plaid flannel shirt; you in your pearls and pinstripe suits (gray I believe you stated your suit was, on election day)? Who'd have thought ... yes?

Thank you, my friend!

October 18, 2013 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  18. Wake up People!

Thank you for the kind words Dominican Mama. I do try. Which is why I will take a break from these pages for a while because some of the things that people say here cut me like a knife. I'm also surrounded by Obama haters and people that think Zimmy was justified at work. Entirely. It's hard but I'll prevail.

October 18, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  19. smith

@Sifto-good point. Who cares about gay marriage that issue has come and gone. Let people marry whoever they want and lets be done with it.

October 18, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Data
    Probably too soon for Booker,
    -------------------------------------------------
    Really Data?
    He's been mayor of Newark for two terms, and by 2016 he would've had a couple of years (hopefully) under his belt as a state Senator. I can definitely see him at the bottom of the ticket, even without the foreign policy experience.
    He's certainly more qualified now than Palin ever was for sure, and I think that his presence on the ticket with Hillary would certainly make it pretty close to a dream ticket. The dream ticket of course being two women!!

October 18, 2013 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  21. Jeff Brown in Jersey

@Rick McDaniel
    We all know that Booker will be a far left welfare oriented Senator, who will support waste and corruption in government.

Rick, to paraphrase CS & N, "you never fail to fail, it's the easiest thing to do"!

October 18, 2013 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  22. smith

@wake up people-you got some serious racial issues. You might want to stay away from msnbc for awhile and clear your head. Geez...or maybe check yourself in for some mental health.

October 18, 2013 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  23. rs

Rick McDaniel

______________________
    Get real Rick (yeah, right), your crew just blew $24 billion (tax payer dollars). When are you going to figure out the GOP has zero credibility on monetary matters?

October 18, 2013 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  24. Dennis C

Governor Chris Christie is opposed to gay marriage, but he is a really big supporter of donuts.

October 18, 2013 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  25. The Real Tom Paine

-Rick McDaniel

**********************************
    Sorry, secession boy, he's not representing TX and all the corparations with their hand and their checkbooks out.

October 18, 2013 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |