Police investigating threats against Ted Cruz
October 18th, 2013
11 months ago

Police investigating threats against Ted Cruz

Washington (CNN) – U.S. Capitol Police are investigating threats made Friday on Twitter against Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz, who gained national notoriety following his high-profile stand pushing Republicans to only allow the federal government to be funded if Obamacare was not. When the Senate refused to go along, the 16 day government shutdown resulted – and Ted Cruz became the de-facto face of it.

The posts came from a man who identifies himself as a military veteran and included, “Ted Cruz needs to be taken out,” and, “Take down Ted Cruz, at his home.”

“We are looking into the threats made on Twitter,” U.S. Capitol Police spokesman Officer Shennell Antrobus told CNN.

Cruz’s office confirmed the matter has been referred to the police.

“We are aware of the threats and have notified the proper authorities,” said Cruz’s spokeswoman Catherine Frazier.

The law enforcement investigation was first reported by The Hill.

–CNN's Kevin Bohn contributed to this report.

Filed under: Ted Cruz
  1. TLORop

Id be nervous if i were him. He is probably the most hated person in America now.

October 18, 2013 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  2. DC Historian

Next to the Obama Administration, the Nixon White House looks like a group of choir boys

October 18, 2013 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  3. Steve

Gosh, you mean he's not as popular as he thinks he is? Color me surprised – NOT!

October 18, 2013 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  4. Ted

I certainly understand why someone would be angry enough to threaten him. I imagine there will be more to follow.

October 18, 2013 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  5. Logan

I do not encourage violence against lawmakers, but I am not surprised. I figured that some Americans may get very angry and threats like this would happen. Its what happens when the government is stupid and Americans are fed up.

October 18, 2013 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  6. teabags shall lead us

try Ted Nugent's compound.
    somebody there might be upset he did not do the alamo and fight to the end.

american wingnuts be packing heat. they are the only patriots, the rest of us are messing things up.

October 18, 2013 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  7. jennifer in Houston

" taken out" that can be a quite an innocent expression but of course Raphael Ted Cruz is from Texas and we are plagued by gun nuts.. Now, I ask you is this statement any more inflammatory than Sarah Palin's target that she put over Gabby Gifford? was Sayra questioned by the police or investigated by the police? Seems like a double standard to me.

October 18, 2013 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  8. Woman In California

There's no need to use violence there are other ways of getting rid of Cruz.

October 18, 2013 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  9. unretired05

It probably came from a holding company in the Caribbean that is upset over the attention they're getting after Cruz tried to straighten out his financial claims. He says om his %6k investment he got $25k plus an"IOU" for $75k. He is just having trouble remembering the details.

October 18, 2013 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  10. Jeep146

Cruz is a hero in his own mind. Just in his own mind. You can't go around shooting people just cause you can't stand them. If we did we wouldn't have talk radio anymore.

October 18, 2013 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  11. Tony

Who's afraid of threats on Twitter? Those aren't real people...

October 18, 2013 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  12. Cory

Ted Cruz is a horrible politician, but these kinds of things are ignorant on all counts. I've seen racist and horrible stuff on BHO's Twitter as well. Pretty childish stuff to say the least.

October 18, 2013 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  13. DaveC

And this comes as a surprise to anyone (including Cruz)?This clown is personally responsible to the shutdown and near default of the government. I am surprised there isn't more hate mail.

This guy reminds me of Joseph McCarthy. The only difference is that liberals, independents and anyone else who doesn't agree with him are America's enemies. Remember when he was standing with Sarah "I am so lame" Palin and complaining about the park service? Cruz is going to be in Palin's shoes 5 years from now. Completely irrelevant.

October 18, 2013 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  14. Jack

As mad as I am at the Senator, threats are not acceptable! Never! Ever!

October 18, 2013 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  15. Thomas

Sounds like one on the right wing nut jobs who post on CNN.

Now we can pay for Ted security , he can act presidential !

October 19, 2013 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  16. MarcNJ

The ones that are serious don't advertise.

October 19, 2013 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  17. donald

Ted Cruz caused us much damage for his own personal gain. He's a high functioning sociopath. However, violence is not the answer.

October 19, 2013 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  18. Ajax

Finally. It's about time somebody threatened this unbelievably tiresome obstructionist and political terrorist.

October 19, 2013 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  19. Duh

it's just indicative of the degree of hate americans have of the fact that stupid americans have elected incompetant stupid career politicians to office . as for me ted cruz is just a joke you americans have to tolerate with. I am a Canadian.

October 19, 2013 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  20. blair schaan

Why woulod anyone want to do senator Cruz harm?? amazingly people hes not worth time in jail no matter how big a jerk he is dont threaten the man he will die on his own sword one day thats kind of politican he is,no one need help him,

October 19, 2013 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  21. Roz

Now this jerk is costing taxpayers more money – I say Cruz threatened himself........it wouldn't bother me to never hear another peep from him. You play, you pay.

October 19, 2013 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  22. SEAL Team Alpha and Omega

Nobody cares about Rafael Teddy Boy Loser Cruz. Hopefully, the government he shut down will be unavailable to help him when he needs them the most. What a loser.

October 19, 2013 03:09 am at 3:09 am |
  23. Rob

This guy is an embarrassment to all Vets.

October 19, 2013 04:00 am at 4:00 am |
  24. Kenny

Leave the guy alone. I feel the same way about the president and most of the Democrats in congress.

October 19, 2013 04:15 am at 4:15 am |
  25. W.

I would never threaten the guy or anyone else. Nevertheless, I have never found any Texan to be dignified or worthy of respect. Cruz acted with total disregard for those that he unilaterally effected and caused harm to. He does not deserve to be in a position of authority or given the prestige and influence that allows him to administer his own brand of directorship. I have no use for such ill mannered people who choose to determine how I may live as a respectable citizen. He should be ashamed of his actions and dismissed.

October 19, 2013 04:58 am at 4:58 am |