Obama hosts a wedding
LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 24: Chief Official White House photographer for President Barack Obama Pete Souza photographs Obama speaking on the American Jobs Act October 24, 2011 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
October 20th, 2013
2 months ago

Obama hosts a wedding

Washington (CNN) - President Obama played wedding host this weekend.

Pete Souza, the Chief Official White House photographer, and Patti Lease were married in the Rose Garden Saturday night, according to a White House official.

White House Military Chaplain Stanley Fornea performed the ceremony with roughly 35 family members and friends in attendance, the official said.

Souza has officially chronicled Obama since he was elected president, providing a behind-the-scenes look at the president and first family through the White House Flickr page, his Twitter account and the more recently launched Instagram account.

He served as White House photographer during former President Ronald Reagan’s second term and more recently spent almost a decade at the Chicago Tribune’s Washington bureau, where he recorded then Sen.-Obama’s rise and ultimately wrote “The Rise of Barack Obama.”

"Creating a good photographic archive for history is the most important part of my job, creating this archive that will live on," Souza told PBS in 2010. "This is not so much photojournalism as photo-history."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. WakeUpPlze

Yeah, its perfectly fine for Obama to host a private wedding at a Public institution...lol. If it were a Republican that was in the house...Pilosi and Reid would be screaming IMPEACH! I truly dont think all Dems would be like this in the Oval office...but, Obama's term can not be over quick enough

October 21, 2013 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  2. Essie

Wow! Jealousy & Envy is very ugly!!! Some people can't just be happy for the couple, so their brainless mind come up with insults, complaints and "it-should've-been-me" senseless whinning!!! UGH!! ....Grow up people!!

I'm happy for this couple and even more excited about the generosity & thoughtfulness of our great president! :) :)

October 21, 2013 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  3. Bessy

@ Wake up People

Good one and so true. LOL

October 21, 2013 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  4. Bessy

Whoops, didn't know there were 2 Wake Up bloggers on here, so, this is what I was responding to.

" At least it's a wedding for the WH photographer and not a B actress running naked from room to room. "
    This statement is so true.

October 21, 2013 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  5. Wake up People!

You know it's always hilarious reading the comments from the Obama haters crying about how much of their tax dollars are being spent. When reading the comments you can clearly see these people can't spell, read or even string together a coherent sentence, yet they criticize the POTUS constantly. My guess is many, many of them don't even have jobs and are nothing but freeloaders with their hands out while spitting in the face of the very man that has made it possible for them to eat.

October 21, 2013 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  6. Rosie

OK, you're gonna say the photog's name has an 'z' (Souza) and the composer has an "s" (sousa). But, when you do genealogy, you find that names change spelling for no reason at all other than a mistake when writing it down.

October 21, 2013 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  7. KN

The government is in shambles, we have no money but we can host weddings at the White House for Obama's photographer? Obviously common sense and fairness don't apply to Obama. I hope he raises my taxes some more so he can play a few more rounds with Tiger Woods and host some more private events at the White House.

October 21, 2013 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  8. TONE

A lot of right wingers do not think for themselves no more, seem you all are like zombies controlled by fox, limbaugh, palin you just throw anything out their and think it is a good posting, can any of you tell me right now what the GOP has done for you in the past 15 years? i only need one thing, i am making this absolutely easy for you.

October 21, 2013 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  9. revd

Good grief, people. The president "hosted", i.e., gave permission to use the site. I am sure the Souzas paid for the wedding food, flowers, photos, and music themselves. There was no additional cost to the taxpayer – as the Obamas were home anyway, security was in place and the lights were on already. EVERY President has hosted private parties, dinners, and other events in the White House at their own expense or the expense of the participants. This is nothing new. Let's just wish the happy couple well and move on, shall we?

October 21, 2013 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  10. Wake up People!

Thank you Bessy. I couldn't say exactly what I wanted to say because I would have been zapped, but you knew exactly what I was referring to.

As to the troll trying to jack my moniker. I don't care who is in the WH, it is their residence for the duration of their presidency. It doesn't matter if they are democrat or republican.

If you want to run ish at the WH, I suggest you run for POTUS.

October 21, 2013 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  11. Bessy

@ Wake up People
    You are so right. I had another message on here that addressed the same things you are addressing. I also believe that most of these Obama haters pay no taxes and probably live off the tax payers. The problem is that I think CNN sees my name and they take me off. It happens too fast at times.

October 21, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  12. Wake up People!

You might sometimes have to reword your post Bessy but don't give up. I enjoy reading your comments and I'm sure many others do too.

October 21, 2013 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

All this crap directed to the same President that used his OWN money to redecorate the Oval Office and his residence even though there is a fund in place for just such a thing.
    This is why you people used to kill me with this b.s.
    This President has been extremely careful about expenditures precisely because even though he may not show it, he is painfully aware of the many hateful eyes on him that keep track of his every move and expense.
    I want to thank you mental midgets again for making him one of our BEST PRESIDENTS EVER by virtue of the microscope that he's been forced to live under unlike any other President in history.
    And whether you gag on it or not: the White House is HIS house until 2017.
    Like it or lump it he can entertain as he sees fit in his HOME.

October 21, 2013 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  14. Wake up People!

Here here Dominican Mama!!! I second that emotion sista!!

October 21, 2013 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  15. Bessy

@ Dominican mama 4 Obama

Right on target Mama.

@ Tone

Good post but I wouldn't sit around waiting for an answer because there isn't any to be given.

October 21, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |