Obama hosts a wedding
LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 24: Chief Official White House photographer for President Barack Obama Pete Souza photographs Obama speaking on the American Jobs Act October 24, 2011 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
October 20th, 2013
6 months ago

Obama hosts a wedding

Washington (CNN) - President Obama played wedding host this weekend.

Pete Souza, the Chief Official White House photographer, and Patti Lease were married in the Rose Garden Saturday night, according to a White House official.

White House Military Chaplain Stanley Fornea performed the ceremony with roughly 35 family members and friends in attendance, the official said.

Souza has officially chronicled Obama since he was elected president, providing a behind-the-scenes look at the president and first family through the White House Flickr page, his Twitter account and the more recently launched Instagram account.

He served as White House photographer during former President Ronald Reagan’s second term and more recently spent almost a decade at the Chicago Tribune’s Washington bureau, where he recorded then Sen.-Obama’s rise and ultimately wrote “The Rise of Barack Obama.”

"Creating a good photographic archive for history is the most important part of my job, creating this archive that will live on," Souza told PBS in 2010. "This is not so much photojournalism as photo-history."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Name jk. Sfl. GOP CRUZ conservatives,the garbage of America.

Good, I hope the president had a good time!!!!!

October 20, 2013 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  2. Carlos

Wait. As of 29 minutes since posting, no one has complained... Oh... here they come! 5,4,3,2...

October 20, 2013 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  3. Simon

Wow, what a pleasant surprise.. I was expecting it to be a gay wedding!

October 20, 2013 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  4. Put down the Quran

The same photographer who photographed President Obama praying at a mosque.

The same President Obama whom cancelled the National Christian Day of Prayer.

October 20, 2013 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  5. Keith

Who paid for it?

October 20, 2013 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  6. Oy

He is an amazing photographer. I enjoy his work. Best wishes to him and his new bride!

October 20, 2013 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  7. unretired05

So who was the wedding photographer?

October 20, 2013 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  8. Susan

In the shadow of the shutdown? SHAME!

October 20, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. SpgfldTom

A hetrosexual couple getting married at the White Houe? The White House still isn't open to public tours but it is OK to have a wedding of Obama buddies there. Is something wrong with this picture. I wonder who pick upped the tab for that event? Oops, I think I know.

October 20, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  10. Bored introvert

Where are the wedding pictures? This story is pointless without pictures.

October 20, 2013 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Go ahead haters 123!!! oh boohoo I did not get married at The White Hose why should anyone else. That's not fair because no one wants to marry me and so I want everyone as miserable as I am. I'm just killing time because my football team won today and thought I would post.

October 20, 2013 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  12. Sensible

Im waiting for all the Teabaggers to complain about how we taxpayers are losing millions of dollars because of all the weddings Obama is sponsoring in the WH...wait for it....wait for it ...

October 20, 2013 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  13. otherside

While I am sue this was a wonderful opportunity for the bride and groom, I wonder about the irony of the White House hosting this event when the White House tours for the general public were discontinued due to the sequester? I'm sure in some way, shape or form, the US people paid for additional security or staffing to cover this event. The current White House really seems to make up the rules as they go along . . .

October 20, 2013 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  14. Kman66

It sure pays to be Obama's friend

October 20, 2013 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  15. Tracy

Hummmm..... wonder who paid for this? oh yeah, we did

October 20, 2013 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  16. Harold Richards

Typical Obama. Cry bloody murder with the Shutdown and as soon as his Chinese Express Credit Card limit is raised, he spends millions hosting a wedding.

October 20, 2013 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  17. Tammy

At whose expense and why aren't there any photo's? If WE THE PEOPLE paid for ANY part of this shin dig I want to see pictures at the very least.....

October 20, 2013 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  18. US Patriot

Barry can get a wedding off the ground with nor problem...however, getting a Healthcare system in the works for over 3 years for the American people takes the low road in getting done... The people want their White House back from these treasonous thieves who occupy our Congress and WH.

October 20, 2013 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  19. Grego

Our tax dollars hard at work....

October 20, 2013 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  20. Buddha

Nice to see the shutdown didn't ruin a beautiful moment for them. I wish them a long and happy life together.

October 20, 2013 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  21. Fish

This was a wonderful thing for the first family to do, perhaps they could offer same to a wounded war hero also. Those who have given for our nation deserve something special because they are something special. Perhaps the First Lady could invite CMH Romesha or other CMH recipients to the SOTU or other function since CMH Romesha couldn't attend last year!!!

October 20, 2013 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  22. Carol

It must have been a beautiful wedding. Many happy married years together.

October 20, 2013 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  23. jane graham

That is nice and all......but I would like to know if there was a reception.....Did we foot the bill or did the couple foot the bill or did Mr. President foot the bill? I sure hope we the people did not!

October 20, 2013 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  24. larry

Who cares.Why dont the House of Repasentives Impeach him now & when?????????

October 20, 2013 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  25. Mack

I hope the photographer who took pictures of this event is half as good as Pete Souza; Souza is an awesome photographer!!

October 20, 2013 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |