October 22nd, 2013
1 year ago

Forget about Obamacare. In Colorado, it's 'Brosurance'

(CNN) – Keg stands. That's one way to promote Obamacare, it seems.

"Brosurance," reads a new web ad that shows a few bros having a good time. "Keg stands are crazy. Not having health insurance is crazier. Don't tap into your beer money to cover those medical bills. We got it covered."

The Colorado Consumer Health Initiative and ProgressNow Colorado Education launched the web ad, along with a series of other meme-like images that target young residents in Colorado, as well as Latino families–two demographics that tend to lack health insurance.

The ads are modeled after the successful "Got Milk?" campaign, with each image saying, "Got Insurance?"

Another "bro" ad that appears to target young men features two guys playing golf.

"My girlfriend broke my heart, so me and the bros went golfing," reads the text on the image. "Then my buddy broke my head. Good thing Mom made sure I got insurance."

Reason #513 to #getcovered. Do you #GotInsurance? #ThanksObamacare Learn more at http://bit.ly/gotinsurance

A photo posted by Got Insurance (@got_insurance) on

Other ads feature mountain climbers, kayakers and cyclists. The health groups are trying to appeal to "our own Colorado twist," says Jenny Davies-Schley, of the Colorado Consumer Health Initiative.

The idea is to make the images go viral, and each ad is easily sharable through a number of different social media agents, like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

The sign-up numbers for the state's exchange, Connect for Health Colorado, in the first week weren't stellar, but as officials note, it's still early in the process. According to the exchange, 226 people enrolled for health care insurance in the first week, with 18,174 accounts created on the website

– CNN Senior White House Correspondent Jim Acosta contributed to this report.

Filed under: Colorado • Health care
  1. Joe

I live in Colorado and as a 23 year old I believe I am in the target demographic for this add. I'm offended. It's nice to know that people on the left, who are a majority in government, expect that young people are incapable of doing anything but drink and party. It's patronizing at best. Hey, vote for us for a good time!

October 22, 2013 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  2. sonny chapman

Good Sales Tactic: Speak the language of your potential customers. Greatest Sales Tactic: FEAR, the Repubs been using it since Nixon's "Southern Strategy" of 1968. Now they've got the Frankenstein they've created.Tea Party.

October 22, 2013 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  3. Kain

Just made me think of the YouTube channel Bro science.

October 22, 2013 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  4. Sniffit

"BOLSHEVISM is beautiful. Americans are the most manipulated people one earth."

You just broke the irony alarm bell.

October 22, 2013 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  5. Roland

Those photos remind me of Jehovah's witnesses posing as worldly people in the Watchtower. I miss those times.

October 22, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  6. Jeff

Typical.....yet another in a long (and ever-increasing in frequency) line of things from the Barack Obomba administration that I can't tell if it's real or if it's from The Onion.

October 22, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  7. Andrew

Young people wont sign up for this in droves. Most of them barely can afford rent and live paycheck to paycheck as is. We eat Ramen Noodles for breakfast lunch and dinner and splurge with taco bell. On top of that I don't need insurance when I can still just go to the emergency room. I'd rather eat the $95 fine than pay hundreds a month.

October 22, 2013 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  8. RickStefani

This logic is so wrong. Most of the plans are high deductibles so why then are they safe now? A person has to pay for part of their premium ( the rest is subsidized) then all of the hospital expense up to around 5K.

October 22, 2013 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  9. NotYoDaddy

I guess that it is easier to get bent over if you make jokes about it.

October 22, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Bryan

@A True Conservative. Seriously? Obviously reading isn't your strong point in life
    -------------------------------------------------
    They can read alright but they have absolutely NO reading comprehension.
    I don't know if it's willful, or a party requisite, but he's not the only "conservative" with this affliction on this thread.
    You gotta wonder how these people EVER tested out of high school?!

October 22, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  11. anchorite

Amazing how people will put up with any kind of ads at all no matter how sexist, racist, greedy, offensive, or cynical, and then get shocked and offended by the first ad from the White House to get insurance. OK then, I guess the new pastime for the right wing is being offended.

October 22, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  12. The Real Tom Paine

Frankly, I thought the ad was funny: I guess the righties really don't have a sense of humor.

October 22, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  13. kondordisqus

"On top of that I don't need insurance when I can still just go to the emergency room."

I sure hope this statement doesn't sum up the future. Please, someone come up with some way to educate young people on how insurance works and why it is important to have it. Please.

October 22, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  14. VJ

To all Conservatives :- If you don't like Obama Care, please purpose a cost effective plan which covers pre-existing conditions and no life time cap.... Of course you will not.... The reason is simple you have to pay a lot to get this covered.... "Something is always better than nothing"., Since it has become law of the land, take it and amend this and make it affordable... Until then please stop your non sense....

October 22, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  15. wrm

Who comes up with this stup!d after-school-special ish garbage? It's one thing to patronize little kids and convince women that a female doctor endorsing their brand of tampons is relevant, but this?

October 22, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  16. PharmGrl

Don't think so Dutch.
    Next year is going to be a referendum on Obamacare, which is all about Democrats buying 19 million Happy Subsidy Voters and 16 million Happy Medicaid Voters
    Obama lied to get this bill passed, and clips of those lies are going be running 24/7 next year. H€ll Hath No Fury Like an Electorate Scorned. People will be waiting 3-4 months to see a doctor, deficit will go WAY up. Obama is going to get busted with his pants down- selling tens of millions of Bus Tickets while diminishing both size and quality of Bus Fleet. It's like Bush invading Iraq. Demolition of health care as we know it is the easy part and that's well under way. Next comes Chaos, Quagmire, disappearance of BILLIONS of dollars into thin air.
    Most rational people have a tremendous problem choosing between two very corrupt parties which are DEAD WRONG
    on an equal number of issues.

October 22, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  17. Wv

Garbage ad and garbage article. Insurance rate are the highest for young individuals. I'm a 25 yr old alumni who's rate for 2014 more than doubled and now requires a deductible. If I go through Aca the rath they are given me is like 4k a yr with a 3000 deductible. Aca was the worst thing in recent time to hit america

October 22, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  18. Really?

Guys. there are AT LEAST 40 million people who are going to benefit from this. The 226 in Colorado who now have insurance are testament to that, this is just the beginning.

So what if the government spent more on healthcare.gov than it cost to build Twitter, Facebook, and Linked In?

The webiste is great AND whats more the government is super efficient and will certainly get it together and fix everything now that they have been made aware of the problems. Then they will ballance the budget and pay off our debt.

October 22, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  19. Tim

Being the student I am, seeing this ad just reminded me of how much of my beer money this ACA will dig into. I got no income, I pay no taxes, if I walk into a hospital needing care without insurance- nothing changes there...my oarents tax money pays for others...I guess it can pay for me too....my beer money is going to... BEER!

October 22, 2013 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  20. Data Driven

Genius.

Absolute genius.

Will be a meme for years.

October 22, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  21. Sniffit

"Next year is going to be a referendum on Obamacare"

You mean like last year and he year before and the year before and all the other times you guys have said that but then didn't get the answer you wanted?

October 22, 2013 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  22. Thomas Nichols

To make a mockery out of Obamacare is hard to do since Obamacare is doing such a fine job of dying on its own, but I do like this attempt!

October 22, 2013 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  23. D

Add doesn't surprise me since over half the state are stoned!!!

October 22, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. sonny chapman

The Dems. trying to push Personal Responsibility on Young People? The Repubs. urging them to be irresponsible(somebody else will pick up the tab)? Amazing how the Party of Principal lost their minds just because Obama got elected & then reelected.

October 22, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. Toolman Taylor

I fit this age demographic and support Obamacare, however, these ads are pretty ridiculous. I'm also not from Colorado though, so maybe this works there.

October 22, 2013 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |