Cruz hates avocado, loves video games
October 25th, 2013
6 months ago

Cruz hates avocado, loves video games

(CNN) - Ahead of his appearance in Iowa this weekend - his third stop in the Hawkeye State this year – Sen. Ted Cruz gave a local paper some insight into the less political facets of his life, including his dream job and even his distaste for avocados.

Cruz headlines the Iowa GOP Ronald Reagan dinner in Des Moines Friday night, then goes hunting Saturday as Rep. Steve King's guest for the congressman's annual Col. Bud Day Pheasant Hunt.

In a Q&A with the Des Moines Register, the Texas Republican disclosed that he goes hunting a "couple times a year" and drives a 2011 Range Rover. Also in the get-to-know-you piece, Cruz said his dream job would be the starting point guard for the Houston Rockets.

But, he conceded, "there is no universe in which that will ever come to pass."

The first-term senator has quickly become the Senate's most beloved or despised member (depending on who you ask) since taking office in January. He spearheaded a strategy to tie anti-Obamacare provisions to must-pass spending legislation, despite Democratic warnings that the tactic would go nowhere. The disagreement ultimately led to this month's 16-day government shutdown.

Asked how he unwinds after a typical day at work, Cruz talked about his love for movies, iPhone games, and playtime with his two daughters.

"I'm a huge movie buff. Love watching movies," he said. "So we'll often go and watch a movie. Also play video games on my iPhone, far too much, my wife points out. And then just playing with my kids, spend a lot of time at the park, in the pool, in the aquarium with my girls, at the beach."

His favorite movie?

"The Princess Bride."

Perhaps the most surprising detail of the interview was the fact that Cruz, whose father emigrated from Cuba, hates avocado - a staple food in the Southwest.

"I despise avocado. It's the only food I dislike, and I dislike it passionately," he said. "Which is ironic, because I'm Cuban, and my dad grew up with avocado trees in his backyard. My whole family eats avocados like crazy, but I can't stand them."

But he'll basically eat anything else, especially if it has "cheese on it."

Asked if he keeps a quote or photo in his wallet, Cruz referenced one of his favorite photos in his iPhone–a photo that also made a big splash the night that he talked on the Senate floor for 21 hours.

"I was reading 'Green Eggs and Ham.' And it was their bedtime, and they were in their pajamas, and they were laughing, their faces are lit up with joy," he said, talking about the photo that shows his girls watching him on TV.

"As is the way with children, absolutely nothing I have done in the U.S. Senate has impressed Caroline one bit except for reading 'Green Eggs and Ham.' That was the one moment where she said, 'OK, Dad, that was pretty cool.'"

With his multiple trips to Iowa and other crucial states in the presidential nominating process, Cruz has fueled speculation that he has designs on the White House.

Asked recently by CNN's Dana Bash when he plans to make his intentions known, Cruz said his focus is "entirely on the U.S. Senate." The reason he travels to other states, he said, was to "to energize and activate the grassroots of the American people."

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Iowa • Ted Cruz
  1. ST

I have a little advice to Cruz though he didn't ask for it. Can you stop wasting your time for nothing. You will never ever be elected in a higher Office since you led the shut down of the government. The humble guy Mitt Romney was not elected because he just only said "47%" only, and you, who really caused the damage to the nation expect to be elected? As you said it earlier, you care about people in Texas, better stick there and don't go beyond that. That might do you good.

October 25, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  2. Gurgyl

Is this the guy CNN entertaining? Pathetic.

October 25, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  3. Flagship, NC

Good media "hype" try, but I am not impressed.
    There is still something seriously wrong with Cruz.

October 25, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  4. joe

ted cruz has a face of whats wrong with politics, He looks like a guy who would say anything to win or to keep the lobbyists happy. Only talking about how he looks not his actions. Im a independent...

October 25, 2013 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  5. NC

CNN I am sick of hearing about Cruz. Why don't you get back to real journalism. I am now down to watching a few minutes of Wolf Blitzer a week. Your blog has turned into Cruz and The ACA situation. You have lost your credibility and allow racism and hateful comments. Shame on you CNN.

October 25, 2013 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  6. Jeff

The first thing I have disagreed with Cruz on is avocado.

October 25, 2013 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  7. rs

We also learn that like Mr. Cheney, Mr. Cruz doesn't think deficits matter- that's why he tried to make the U.S. default on it's financial obligations, and helped the country blow $24 billion in his little shutdown.

October 25, 2013 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  8. Silence DoGood

CNN has their new Palin.

October 25, 2013 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  9. Dennis Freeman

Who cares? Hope Cruz is more careful with his gun hunting than Cheney...

October 25, 2013 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  10. Glad540

" because I'm Cuban" Hmmmmmm

October 25, 2013 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  11. Boomer in Mo

So he does not buy American? Aren't Range Rovers a British brand? Of course I drive a Ford made in Mexico that is really a Mazda.

October 25, 2013 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  12. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Cuban-Canadian Rafael. Get it right!

October 25, 2013 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  13. Thomas

Are Ted Cruz and Louie Gohmert related ?

Wow , maybe they use the same photographer .

Anybody else see there photo head shots , they look like cartoons !

October 25, 2013 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  14. Warren

Is Cheney going to be there??

October 25, 2013 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  15. Michael Benjamin

No doubt avocados hate Senator Rafael Edward "Ted" Cruz, R-TX.

October 25, 2013 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  16. Gary

Thats OK Ted, avocados hate you too! Along with the majority of Americans.

October 25, 2013 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  17. Jersey Girl

Canadian Crazy Cruz can't run for Prez, but u know he wants to, he doesn't care about anyone but himself. Seriously. and if he tries to run, I assume TRUMP will check out his birth certificate?

October 25, 2013 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  18. raul c.

No, the avocados hate Ted Cruz.

October 25, 2013 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. Name jk. Sfl. GOP CRUZ conservatives,the garbage of America.

This is the next GOP teaparty goof that's going to be kicked out of office for his record wasting of taxpayers money. 24 billon for starters and all the money he stole from the elderly with his fake promise of, I'll repeal romneyobmacare , the GOP teaparty preschool song. So when are you going to give the old ladies and men a REFUND Cruz for your failure. Welcome to obamacare you GOP idiots!!!!!!

October 25, 2013 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  20. GonzoinHouston

Can you imagine Sen. Cruz trying to actually get a piece of legislation passed? He's done so much damage I doubt he could get a post office named for Ronald Reagan. I hope Texas never needs him to wield his influence for something that would benefit the state. The only one who will ever benefit from Cruz's actions will be Cruz himself.

October 25, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  21. Rigs

Hold on, let me grab my puke bucket before I read this

October 25, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  22. Data Driven

Cruz hates avocados.

Bad Politics, Bad Taste.

October 25, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  23. Randy, San Francisco

Sen Ted Cruz deserves credit for dragging Republican national brand poll numbers into the area of permanent minority status. Sen Cruz and the Tea Party will only be a negative and brief footnote in the pages of history.

October 25, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |