Official: Federal health care site should be fully functioning by end of November
October 25th, 2013
10 months ago

(CNN) - The Obamacare website, plagued by major problems since its rollout at the start of the month, should be functioning smoothly by the end of November, according to the official now in charge of fixing it.

Jeffrey Zients told reporters on Friday that an outside contractor will handle the task of resolving technical problems that have become a serious political flashpoint for the Obama administration.

"Healthcare.gov is fixable," Zients said on a conference call.

Filed under: Health care
  1. MTB

This is a joke...right?

October 25, 2013 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  2. Gary

Critisized by a party whos biggest computer achievment is getting to level 2 in Pong.

October 25, 2013 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  3. Dunndh

Good news is worse than bad news

October 25, 2013 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  4. Lynda/Minnesota

".... and for the record: I'm a democrat who once supported this law. Not anymore."

What is it about this "law" you no longer support?

October 25, 2013 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  5. m123

And how could anyone think your private informationis secure on this site?
    They have no clue, plus many of the people working with your information have never gone through a background check.
    Only in America, only in our govt could incompetence this massive be called a "success"

October 25, 2013 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  6. GreyBeard

I'd like to know what CGI is giving up to keep their govt. contracts. I've been in this business for over 20 years and I know the US is getting something for free.

October 25, 2013 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. Chee

16 days free vacations for millions of federal workers, $45b cost to the economy, and nothing accomplished. And we're focusing on a website that is overloaded?

October 25, 2013 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  8. jod

Great the site that was already supposed to be working will, according to the same folks who built it, be functioning properly by the end of November. I can't wait to see how the rest of this law flawlessly goes into effect.

October 25, 2013 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  9. kondordisqus

Wait wait wait! Wasn't this supposed to be catastrophic? Millions of lines of code re-written? Double or even triple the cost?? Months, even years away from implementation?

Nice try at scaremongering, Republicans, but it didn't work.

And anyone complaining about one additional month is in this just to complain, nothing more.

October 25, 2013 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  10. Jim Jimson

So a guy who knows nothing about IT (fact not a criticism per se) within 3 days 'knows' a program with several million lines of code will all be fixed in 30 days – garbage. Who told him it could be fixed in that time? The people who screwed it up in the first place?

October 25, 2013 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  11. GreyBeard

@BFOTO We should believe them the same as we'd believe the GOP on any of their talking points.

October 25, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  12. FlotsamJetsam

The rollout of this is NO different than that of Medicare Part D back in 2006. and it is funny that the SAME GOP representatives condemning it today were asking for some relief consideration BACK THEN. So this will be fixed, but it is a pretty big undertaking.

I think the President but a lot of faith in that this was going to go off without a hitch. I know this was only started 9 months ago with not knowing who was going to be and go out so they really couldn't start the design phase till then. From accounts from knowledgbile IT sources (not the Press who are pretty clueless) there were many fundamental errors in the Concept Planning that should have been adequately addressed (eg. allowing a place where users could just browse offerings prior to enrolling) that would have saved a lot of needless encrypted traffic (which is by its nature slow). Couple that with contractors using old technology that had to be on GSA, and perhaps not the best IT talent as is the case with all IT procurement where it must go to the lowest bidder with an substantiated bid.

October 25, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  13. Rick

First of all, why weren't the best and brightest software engineers and companies used to create this web site. Second, why do sites like Amazon and others that have much higher traffic work well. (Why not hire the people that did Amazon's site to do healthcare.gov?) and finally, third, why didn't the government just delay this travesty until it had been adequately tested. I know the government knows how to delay things as I work in the mortgage settlement industry and we have been trying to get a new settlement statement approved by the government for years.

October 25, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  14. Steve- Illinois

Then when the end of November arrives, and it takes another dump. Who ya gonna call?

October 25, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  15. jenn, philadelphia

Who is the outside contractor? How much more are we paying them? Are we going to get reimbursed from the people who screwed up the job in the first place? These are the questions the Administration should be answering at the House hearings. The Obama apologists can argue it's a witch hunt all you want, but millions of tax money was spent on something that doesn't work and they should be just as angry as everyone else since it is their money too.

October 25, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  16. frankieworks

Welcome to the Brainwashing of the America Public! Now line up for your Big Government Indoctrination it's your only hope..... trust us! Ask about your privacy on the Oblammercare website... yeah Privacy, this information will never be used against you.... trust us.....LOL!

October 25, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  17. {{anonymous}}

I believe that obamacare will led to the smartcared and then go to the chip ..... I know I'm not a big person in this world but I watch YouTube videos on what all this stuff is going to turn in to and I see that I don't feel save anymore in American. I saw on YouTube that sticker on you mail box might be for Marshall law the red,blue,yellow stickers just look at the videos I wanna know what you think.

October 25, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  18. Keith

Please, PLEASE let this be a joke.....

October 25, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  19. Gman

If you believe this; call me. I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you

October 25, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  20. RealWebDeveloper

No accountability!

When I develop a website for a client and it doesn't meet specifications, doesn't work, or has major bugs. I don't get paid. That is how it works!

The tax payers should be getting their money back from the contractors that screwed us on this or the contractors should fix it. Why is our government just throwing more money at the problem. We already paid for this to work.

October 25, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  21. jharry

He might be right about the website, but the website is the least of the problems with ACA. Let me give you a clue. It's the 100% rate increases coming.

October 25, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  22. IT Support

Have you Noticed all the so many IT People commenting on the website problems, All Roll-outs are like this just ask Microsoft and other companies.

October 25, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  23. Gary

I bet fixing it will cost less than 24 billion.

October 25, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  24. Sean

Let Al Gore fix it, should be a no brainer for the person who created the internet.

October 25, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  25. 869396jl

whats wrong if people put some extra money in for those who do not have health care insurance.I think if you help others God will help you if you believe in HIM.

October 25, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |