Healthcare.gov glitches at center of weekly addresses
October 26th, 2013
9 months ago

Healthcare.gov glitches at center of weekly addresses

(CNN) – The chairman of the committee that heard hours of testimony this week over glitches in the healthcare.gov website put Obamacare on the chopping block in the GOP weekly address released Saturday.

“At a time when we can do everything from ordering a pizza, flowers or airline tickets, or banking and paying bills, they expect the same reliable service from healthcare.gov – and it’s still not ready for primetime,” Rep. Fred Upton, R-Michigan, said.

Contractors told members of the House Energy and Commerce Committee on Thursday that the government was to blame for the problem-plagued software that has barred many Americans from signing up for insurance plans through the online exchanges. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius will testify before the committee on Wednesday.

The White House and administration officials say the enrollment problems are being fixed, with almost 700,000 applications submitted online on either the federal or state websites.

Expressing frustration over the technical issues, President Barack Obama defended the law in his weekly address, noting that the site has been visited more than 20 million times since its launch on October 1.

“I’d still be out there championing this law even if the website were perfect,” the president said.

“That’s why it’s also interesting to see Republicans in Congress expressing so much concern that people are having trouble buying health insurance through the new website, especially considering they’ve spent the last few years so obsessed with denying those same people access to health insurance that they just shut down the government and threatened default over it.”
Obama continued: “We did not fight so hard for this reform for so many years just to build a website.”

But Upton insists the broken website is only the beginning of the issues with the law. “How can the administration punish innocent Americans by forcing them to buy a product many cannot afford, from a system that does not work?”

Delays and incorrect information relayed to insurance companies has sparked intense criticism from Republicans over the Affordable Care Act’s implementation. House Republicans earlier this month tried without success to tie defunding or delaying the law to legislation funding the government.

Filed under: Healthcare
  1. jvierra

To all of those who falsely claim their rates are going up or that they cannot keep their old insurance which they have had for many years. Please read this about the ACA: (from the ACA law and web site)

1 exception: Grandfathered individual plans (March 2010)

The only individual plans that don’t have to provide these protections are grandfathered individual plans. These plans have existed largely unchanged since the health care law was passed. These plans don’t have to make any changes, and if you like you can keep the plan for as long as it’s offered.

Many are claiming that they cannot keep insurance they have had for 10 or 20 years. This is just not true.

October 26, 2013 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  2. CuriousToo

Obamacare is tech savvy!! I AM tech savvy and it did not recognize me! I worry now that my private info may be compromised by hackers!

October 26, 2013 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  3. Mike in Texas

Catmandew,

It's not Obama's job to pass a budget. It's congress. The President signs the budget he doesn't pass it. Furthermore, the President doesn't want CR's, he wants a clean budget passed; however even when Boehner got 98% of what he wanted that wasn't enough. Spare me your rant. As far as ACA, my wife's medical premiums didn't go up one cent and coverage was the same so if your company raised your insurance that much I doubt it was due to ACA but more like it gave them a reason to raise it. Or maybe you work for a crappy company who doesn't care about it's employees.

October 26, 2013 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  4. informed citizen

I am so glad the ACA is going in effect. I buy under individual and the lousy insurance plan i have now will be canceled, thank goodnes. It was bad!!. I have looked at the new plans and will be able to get a better plan at about $50.00 less premium a month and a ton saved on prescriptions. Thank you so much!!!! There will be many individuals that will be happy campers.
    By the way, to all those screaming about your employer based insurance plan rates increasing.You better spend some time researching because you will find the blame lays with your employer, not the new insurance plan. I laugh at your rants because I spent weeks researching this and you are so wrong! Your company is lying to you, I guarantee it. Befrore anymore of you make fools of yourselves, do some research. There is plenty of information available. All you have to do is spend some time researching. Then go to your bosses with the information you found and call them on their lousy lies. Think about this folks....do you really think for one minute that employers are not going to use the new insurance along with employee's ignorance to their advantage? Wake up people, smell the coffee.

October 26, 2013 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  5. the hippies were right

@Catmandew, Sorry, you've been led waaayyyyy off course. You might want to get your facts straight before posting such silly statements. Actually one of the most inaccurate to date. Question is, if you obtained the correct facts, would you admit it?

October 26, 2013 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  6. pappy

Thank you president Obama! !!

October 26, 2013 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  7. Marie MD

@hidde truth, are you repugs paid to tell lies?
    The company I work for has increased my health insurance almost $200 this year and about the same last year.
    This has nothing to do with Obamacare. This is all about more money out if my paycheck for less coverage , higher premiums and higher deductibles.
    Companies are using Obamacare, which has not completely gone into effect, for the insurance companies robbing US blind. Most corporations are part do the problem that Ils our country.
    If raffy bin laden says it's bad then do the opposite.

October 26, 2013 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  8. What's in that tea anyway?

@A True Conservative

Thank you for the affordable care Mr. President! My health insurance through my company has just increased in price. My deductables have increased significantly as has my maximum out of pocket. In fact, the plan that I have selected from my companies "exchange" for years is no longer available to me. Nor is the prescription plan that I bought into for years. I can't tell you how motivated I now am to continue to work and contribute to the federal government money that I have earned trhough my labor. Perhaps it's time for me to reconsider things and jump on the bandwagon – perhaps it's time for me to begin to take and stop contributing.
    -----–

You lie....LOL, I say that because healthcare premiums have been increasing since the 90's...putz

October 26, 2013 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  9. rs

Obamacare is the biggest FRAUD ever perpetrated on the American people. Remember this in the voting booth in 2014 & 2016America.
    _________________
    You can believe what you want.
    When I vote in 2014 what I'll be remembering is the GOP's attempted anti-American coup d'tat in Oct. 2013, their radical blow-hard Cruz, the do-nothing spineless Boehner, the vote-for-default GOP members of the House and Senate, and their blowing billions of dollars in their ill-advised and predictably futile government shutdown.
    You can't fix stupid, but you sure don't have to vote for it!

October 27, 2013 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  10. Michael Benjamin

Insurance companies will always look for any excuse to increase premiums and reduce coverage. It's all about money, money, money. Getting private insurance out of health care it is the only reasonable long term solution.

October 27, 2013 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  11. 2020

Where were these self righteous congress men and women when my aunt lost her house and her life saving when her husband had cancer. Lost job, lost health insurance.

Obama is a human being, a dawn good one. He has a heart that tea baggers don't, cruz not even worthy to tie his shoe laces.

If you cannot tell the difference between a website issue to a law, you shouldn't even show up. Like your teeth, any website can be fixed, like it or not.

October 27, 2013 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  12. What's in that tea anyway?

One just shakes their head at the sheer genius these Tea Trolls post on a day to day basis. They act as though this country's problems didn't start until Pres. Obama took office. yeah right...the country's economy was in free fall....near a 2nd depression, in the midst of two wars, our fine soldiers were dying in two countries looking for a guy living in plain site at his mansion with his hareem of wives, the auto industry near decimated, wall street in shambles / trillions lost in our 401Ks...but yet the Tea Trolls are complaining about health insurance and website....Really ? Really ? Ok nobody ever said the Tea party was full of Rhoades scholars but what we do hear on a daily basis is ridiculous.

October 27, 2013 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  13. Gurgyl

Entire GOP is a big joke–they lose worst than crazy dogs in 2014. They never cared for this nation, it's poor, it's middle-class, it's women, it's,black. They cared for Trump, Koches, Genn Beck the idiot, Sheldon Adelson, Rush Limbu etc...

October 27, 2013 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  14. rs

The democrats are the treasonous ones here. Funding our government from continuing resolution to continuing resolution. Never passing a budget, never voting on laws in the senate they don't like.
    __________________
    1. If the House ever gets around to creating a real budget, the nation won't need CRs.
    2. As far as passing laws- just how many have dribbled out of the House? No jobs bills, nothing for the economy, nothing for immigration, nothing for healthcare. Look at what the Hose does- Nothing!

October 27, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |