Former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist to seek his old job
November 1st, 2013
9 months ago

Former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist to seek his old job

(CNN) - Former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist is looking to return to the state's highest office, according to documents filed Friday with the Florida Department of State.

Crist, who served as a Republican governor from 2007 to 2011, has an event scheduled for Monday in St. Petersburg for a "Major Announcement" where he is expected to formally declare his candidacy.

The twist? Crist's professed party in the campaign filing Friday is Democrat.

Crist famously separated from the Republican Party during his failed 2010 bid for the U.S. Senate.

At the time, he switched to Independent after he fell far behind in the race against a then little-known Marco Rubio, who went on to become the state's Republican Senator after a three-way race.

The reason for Crist's fall from the GOP was in part his 2009 embrace of President Barack Obama at an event pushing the federal stimulus.

Crist completed his transformation from red to blue when he changed his party affiliation to Democrat in 2012 after backing Obama for reelection and speaking at the Democratic National Convention that year.

"I didn't leave the Republican Party, the Republican Party left me," Crist said on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight" at the time, repeating a line he used at the Democratic convention. "Issue after issue they seem to get more strident and more difficult."

Polls have treated the political transition kindly, with potential voters in a March Quinnipiac University survey backing Crist 50% of the time to Republican Gov. Rick Scott's 34%.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jim

The American people are finally seeing the lying dems 'You can keep your policy' party for what they are – and Christ wants to join them. Can't fix crazy.

November 2, 2013 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  2. jkane gruz is the 24 billion dallar joke on the gop.

tom 1, 24 billion off the gdp, go back to school if the gop idiots like you don't cut the funding,the gop teabagers are the garbage of America.

November 2, 2013 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  3. nuevocicero

Bring it! We ready!

November 2, 2013 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  4. jkane cruz is the 24 billion dallar joke on the gop.

rick mc dainail, you talking about Romney the tax cheat?????

November 2, 2013 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  5. anonymous

sorry, once a republican, always a republican...doesn't matter if you put on the sheep clothing

November 2, 2013 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  6. buongiorno

your opinion is just an opinion now crawl back in your hole

November 2, 2013 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  7. Tampa Tim

Tom l – I hesitate to respond to you because you are super sensitive, but here goes: The $24 billion loss from the republican shutdown was arrived at by Standards and Poors. $24 billion was taken out of the economy and reduced the 4th quarter growth from 3% to 2.4%. $3.1 billion from government services, $152 million per day in lost travel spending, $76 million per day in National Parks being closed, $217 million per day in federal and local contractors wages, creating a stall in cash flow. But small businesses, military families, and hundreds of thousands of federal workers really got hurt.

November 2, 2013 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  8. Former Republican - Current Independant

I felt the same way. The Party left me. The religious whackos and tea baggers can have it. I'm out. (and have been for years)

It seems there are LOT of 'former Republicans' out there... Most of my friends that were Republican have left as well. There has been a mass exodus.

November 2, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  9. buongiorno

not over till the fat lady sings

November 2, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  10. Tampa Tim

Tom1940 – Look at the people who can't make it as a republican: Romney, Palin, Bennett from Utah, and others who are being primaried by tea bagging secessionists. You do realize there is no longer a Republican Party, don't you?

November 2, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  11. Luke

"Everybody needs to grab a hose and that is what Charlie Crist is doing here today." President Obama. Will Charlie finally admit he is gay now that he is democrat? Charlie should be on broadway he is such a talented actor – what did that poll say? Oh, of course I am pro-choice. What did that poll say? Of course I am gay. What did that poll say? Of course I support ambulance chasing firms like the one I work for (Morgan and Morgan – for the people who stub their toe and sue for millions). What did poll say? Of course I'm a Libertarian. Joke, joke, joke, freaking joke.

November 2, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  12. plain and simple

What would happen if all the moderate republicans in congress were to become democrats??? Maybe congress would actually become constructive again!!! The end of the two party system is near. Tea party needs to stand alone and be all grown up. OR Republicans need to take their party back and move on.

November 2, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  13. Anne

I like the man and support him. But frankly, Florida is almost as stubbornly Republican as Texas. Three of them; Texas, Florida and Arizona form a trifecta of ultra-conservative Red states. I hope enough people in Florida have, like him, moved away from that stance. I doubt it, but you never know.

November 2, 2013 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  14. Henry Taylor

As a diehard Democrat who lives in Florida, I didn't trust Crist as a GOPer, and I don't since he's now a Democrat. He's a big phony. But, between him and Rick "$1.5B Medicare Fraud" Scott, I'd rather go with Crist, while holding my nose.

November 2, 2013 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  15. jimmymac

Not only was Charlie Crist a good Governor,but also a good husband and father.I worked where the Governor and his family lived and i was able to see first hand what kind of man he really is.His stand against those who wished to blame all of Floridas problems on the Teachers(thank you for your service)was amazing.Going after the stimulus money he new could be political suicide shows he puts the people of this state first,not his political ambitions.Good luck,Gov Chuck.

November 2, 2013 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Tampa Tim

I have read that the Kochs are spending millions to get Scott reflected. I wonder if it has anything to do with phosphate.
    ________________________________
    And George Soros is spending millions supporting Democrats, so what the difference? Soros is worse then the Koch brothers

November 2, 2013 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  17. TJeff1776

Senators and House Reps no longer represent We the People. Simply put- they are bought off. As Ben Franklin once put it, " once you put your feet under my table, you take my orders".

November 2, 2013 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  18. The Right Choice

Governor Crist rightfully deserves the Florida vote for governor! His dedication and tenacity to the cause is most admirable. He will bring great ideas to move the state forward. His desire to embrace Democratic Principles and ideals speaks volumes as to why he should be Fully Supported! The people do not need a Republican governor of Cuts, Forget the Middle Class and the Poor, Deny Equal Rights to Minorities, and Keep Those Most In Need Away. What they need is Charlie Crist to the rescue. His experience will be a True Asset to Floridians!

November 2, 2013 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  19. Reason Wins

This guy has my vote already.

November 2, 2013 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  20. Larry in Houston

@Tom 1940 – - – LOL – couldn't said it better myself !!!

November 2, 2013 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  21. dax

yawn.... what can you say? this guy will do anything to keep from getting a real job.

November 2, 2013 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  22. are122

Much as I didn't like Scott to begin with I have received constant info on the jobs he brings and has brought to Florida. He is doing a good job. No vote for Crist here.

November 2, 2013 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  23. Jade_Alpha

You know your right wing party has gone too far to the right when right leaning moderates have to join the left wing party.

November 2, 2013 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  24. Vigo the Impaler

Oh look ! A political opportunist. How refreshing. Hey Charlie, the Whigs are poised for a comeback.

November 2, 2013 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  25. works4me

I voted for him once before as a Republican... now I'll vote for him again as a Democrat. Anything other than Scott!

November 2, 2013 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |